Driving from Barcelona to Bordeaux

Old June 25th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Bobby

Default Driving from Barcelona to Bordeaux

I'm driving from Barcelona (Airport) to Bordeaux (Bergerac actually) in a
couple of weeks. I've hired a car from EasyCar (which uses Alamo).

I've never driven in mainland Europe (but I have driven in the US).

Does anyone have any advice for a newbie? What are the roads like? Is it a
problem to drive from Spain to France (are there border controls)? Is it
mostly toll roads?

My Spanish/French is rubbish. Is that a problem?

How complex is it to get out of the airport and onto the motorway?

Cheers.

Bobby

Old June 25th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Robert J Carpenter

"Bobby" wrote in message
I'm driving from Barcelona (Airport) to Bordeaux (Bergerac actually)

in a
couple of weeks. I've hired a car from EasyCar (which uses Alamo).

I've never driven in mainland Europe (but I have driven in the US).

Does anyone have any advice for a newbie? What are the roads like?

I haven't driven that section of Spanish motorway, but the ones I've
been on were very good. Not many fuel stops. I've used the Autoroute
you'll use in France [from Toulouse to Narbonne to Perpignan] - and it
is also very good. There is a nice view of Carcasonne and I think a
rest area there. Rest areas are frequent on this Autoroute. The
Autoroute follows the canal across France and I stopped at an
interesting visitors' center at the highest point of the canal.

Bring enough money for tolls.

Bergerac is a fair piece off the Autoroute, so you'll probably take
N21 from Agen.

Is it a
problem to drive from Spain to France (are there border controls)?

Is it
mostly toll roads?

Haven't tried, but I doubt that there are formalities other than
paying toll.

My Spanish/French is rubbish. Is that a problem?

How is your Catalan? Seriously, I doubt that you'll have any language
problems.

How complex is it to get out of the airport and onto the motorway?

My may shows the Barcelona airport is near a motorway.

Old June 25th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Knight Of The Road

"Bobby" wrote

I've never driven in mainland Europe (but I have driven in the US).

Does anyone have any advice for a newbie? What are the roads like? Is it a
problem to drive from Spain to France (are there border controls)? Is it
mostly toll roads?

No problems Bobby, it's all good quality toll roads with plenty of service
stations. You will drive through the border at La Junquera (sp?) but you do
not even have to stop.

Toll booths will take cash, Mastercard, Visa etc

In my truck, the trip would take about 5 hours but I am limited to 56mph so
you may do it quicker- although its not a race!

--
Regards, Vince.

www.TruckDrivingInRussia.co.uk

Old June 26th, 2005, 02:05 AM
Alec

"Bobby" wrote in message
I'm driving from Barcelona (Airport) to Bordeaux (Bergerac actually) in a
couple of weeks. I've hired a car from EasyCar (which uses Alamo).

I've never driven in mainland Europe (but I have driven in the US).

Does anyone have any advice for a newbie? What are the roads like? Is it a
problem to drive from Spain to France (are there border controls)? Is it
mostly toll roads?

My Spanish/French is rubbish. Is that a problem?

How complex is it to get out of the airport and onto the motorway?

From the airport, follow the signs for Girona (A7), which will take you
along the coastal motorway (Ronda del Litoral - coastal ringroad - usually
quite busy and narrow) to the NE of Barcelona where the motorway divides and
you take A17/A7. Just follow this to the French border at La Jonquera/Le
Perthus (no stopping) and you continue on French autoroute A9. North of
Perpignan peel off for A61 Toulouse which becomes A62 to Bordeaux. There
will be several toll stations where you can pay with euro or credit card.
You'll find drivers speed a lot on the Spanish section (100 mph or more) but
slow down in France as police is cracking down on offenders (limit 80 mph -
instant fine from 135 euro). Fuel is quite a bit cheaper in Spain so be sure
to fill up, and try to get a diesel car as it's more economical. Total
driving distance is just over 400 miles - about 6 hours including a rest
stop.

Alec

Old June 30th, 2005, 10:58 AM
correo[takeoff]

Bobby wrote:

I'm driving from Barcelona (Airport) to Bordeaux (Bergerac actually) in a
couple of weeks. I've hired a car from EasyCar (which uses Alamo).

I've never driven in mainland Europe (but I have driven in the US).

Does anyone have any advice for a newbie? What are the roads like?

Great. Much better than US.

Is it a
problem to drive from Spain to France (are there border controls)?

No

Is it
mostly toll roads?

Yes

My Spanish/French is rubbish. Is that a problem?

No

How complex is it to get out of the airport and onto the motorway?

No problem

Cheers.

Bobby