Airfare for 6 months from US to Australia

Old September 23rd, 2003, 05:47 AM
Oceras

Default Airfare for 6 months from US to Australia

A while ago I asked for strategies for finding a reasonable airfare (from the
US) for a stay of six months in Australia. Thanks to those who responded (the
idea of an around the world ticket was very appealing). Now, I'm going to
answer my own question.
I spent alot of time on the internet looking up airfares and could come up with
nothing less than about US$2400pp. However, since my wife is getting her ticket
partly paid for by her university, she was required to get quotes from a couple
of travel agencies with which her school has contracts. One came up with
US$2300pp, but another called a consolidator and we now have tickets for US$700
less than that. Whoopie! Still expensive, but not the horrendous hit the higher
figure would have been even with partial compensation.
I had heard that the internet was great for fares within the U.S., but that
travel agents were better for international fares. Here is a prime example of
this. But, buyer beware, only one agency found the very low fare.
Old September 23rd, 2003, 07:32 AM

On 23 Sep 2003 04:47:46 GMT, (Oceras) wrote:

[...]

Glad you found something 'suitable'.
But I do hope when doing all your research, you also researched all
the Rules & Regulations pertaining to the tickets such as
non-refundable; non-transferable; valid flight and/or date only; the
penalties for changes; no changes on outbound once ticketed - the list
goes on and on!

Some tickets purchased through consolidators do not gain frequent
flier miles.

Cath