Cruises stacked

Old May 7th, 2010, 03:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

Default Cruises stacked

On 5/6/10 10:19 PM, D Ball wrote:
Bermuda itself is a little bit more formal than some Caribbean places.
You won't be allow on the bus in a bathing suit or if scantily clad.

You do need to cover up a bathing suit, but the big thing is that your
suit has to be dry to use the buses or cabs.

Rosalie & Sue, thanks for all of your useful tips--I have created a
Bermuda file and saved them for whenever we go. What a bummer I can't go
out scantily clad!

And Rosalie, as always, you tell the best stories. Thanks for sharing.

Sheree and NYC-area folks, of course, if we do this thing and get that
extra day or two on either side, we'd love to get together.

Let us know your schedule. I'll see what our schedules look like.

Summit has a Sunday - Sunday sailing, so maybe the Saturday before you
sail would be good for getting together.

--Tom
Old May 7th, 2010, 04:27 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sue Mullen

Tom K wrote:
On 5/6/10 10:19 PM, D Ball wrote:
Bermuda itself is a little bit more formal than some Caribbean places.
You won't be allow on the bus in a bathing suit or if scantily clad.

You do need to cover up a bathing suit, but the big thing is that your
suit has to be dry to use the buses or cabs.

Rosalie & Sue, thanks for all of your useful tips--I have created a
Bermuda file and saved them for whenever we go. What a bummer I can't go
out scantily clad!

And Rosalie, as always, you tell the best stories. Thanks for sharing.

Sheree and NYC-area folks, of course, if we do this thing and get that
extra day or two on either side, we'd love to get together.

Let us know your schedule. I'll see what our schedules look like.

Summit has a Sunday - Sunday sailing, so maybe the Saturday before you
sail would be good for getting together.

Saturday would be great, just hope it isn't one of Kevn's chemo weekends.

sue
Old May 7th, 2010, 05:33 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On May 6, 3:17*am, Charles wrote:

Then you should not be doing cruises to Bermuda. Why bother if you have
done one and found you don't care for Bermuda? This is about doing a
Bermuda cruise.

Well...obviously in your mind this is about doing a Bermuda cruise
only the way *you* envision one.

Please quote my posts in this thread when I said I don't care for
Bermuda? Please also quote where I said I was taking a cruise to
Bermuda?

I enjoy Bermuda. I personally wouldn't mind Summit's itinerary which
has the extra sea day. Too bad you missed that point twice already. In
fact I took my nephew on a cruise to Bermuda 2 years ago for his Bar
Mitzvah. But I chose the itinerary best suited for both of us - aboard
Explorer of the Seas. With just one overnight it was perfect for me
and the ship itself was perfect for him. We both had a blast. We
ferried to St. Georges and spent a day jet skiing. We spent a day at
Horseshoe Bay. Our enjoyment of both was diminished *not one iota*
because we were docked at Kings Wharf. In fact, the ferry ride made
our trip to St. Georges even more fun. He still talks about our trip.

As for "advising them how to have a substandard cruise to Bermuda" I
was providing a counter point for Diana to consider. I suspect that
Diana and I are similar in what we enjoy about cruises and the types
of itineraries that we find appealing. I think it is quite valid to
post opinions that counter..well..say...yours based on what she was
saying.

I think advising her that if she enjoys more sea time she might prefer
Summit's itinerary is every bit as valid as you recommending Veendam's
itinerary. It might actually be advising her (or anyone like minded)
how to have a *superior* time on a cruise that includes Bermuda.

There are other itineraries that only spend a day in Bermuda and move
on. It would have been quite on topic to recommend one of those
sailings as well - but why on earth would you conclude that
alternative suggestions on how to include Bermuda in a sailing is not
liking Bermuda?

Warren

Old May 7th, 2010, 07:44 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 5/5/2010 6:06 AM, Jeff Gersten wrote:
(D Ball) wrote:

I almost always choose for itinerary, but the
one and only time I sailed HAL for itinerary
(Baltics), I swore I wouldn't go out with them
again until I was ready to step into Heaven's
Waiting Room, which is what the CD's staff
called the ship. Rude!

When I wrote my review of our HAL cruise, I started by saying that I had
expected a much older set of passengers. There was a reply, I believe by
Jean, that said that HAL passengers were always older was a myth
perpetuated by someone who had been on a particular HAL cruise that did
fit that description.

I just booked our first cruise on HAL, to Alaska this summer. Given my
druthers, I would have much preferred RCI or Celebrity, but their
itineraries and current pricing were both much worse than HAL (Princess
was somewhere in the middle). We're going with our kids (19 and 23) and
I'm hoping for the best with the clientele, but given the cruise line
and the destination, I suspect that my wife and I will be significantly
younger than most of the rest of the passengers, never mind my kids. My
kids never socialize with the other passengers (even when there are kids
their own age), so not having many kids their age will not be a big
deal. I'm going for the itinerary, and hoping the food will at least be
close to Celebrity.

Bill
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article
,
Warren wrote:

I think advising her that if she enjoys more sea time she might prefer
Summit's itinerary is every bit as valid as you recommending Veendam's
itinerary. It might actually be advising her (or anyone like minded)
how to have a *superior* time on a cruise that includes Bermuda.

I think our difference is that you favor a cruise that includes Bermuda
and I favor Bermuda that includes a cruise.

--
Charles
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

On 5/7/10 12:33 AM, Warren wrote:

We
ferried to St. Georges and spent a day jet skiing. We spent a day at
Horseshoe Bay. Our enjoyment of both was diminished *not one iota*
because we were docked at Kings Wharf. In fact, the ferry ride made
our trip to St. Georges even more fun. He still talks about our trip.

Did you do St. Georges the first day or the second day?

--Tom

Old May 7th, 2010, 02:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Warren[_1_]

On May 7, 7:27*am, Tom K wrote:

Did you do St. Georges the first day or the second day?

Second day.
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On May 5, 12:55�am, D Ball wrote:
Diana �bermuda is so beautiful.. But the ships are just too big to get
into some of the better ports. St Georges is the best like a
Williamsburg type seaside town. Love it over there.and we found a
great little tucked away jewelry store with great pricing.
and a nice artwork watercolor store... Hamilton was the town in its
day but i hear they have revamped the town but its really not what we
all remember from the past but the location is good Kings Wharf is top
far from everything BUT still doable I think Bermuda is like 15 miles
long. You do not need excursions here, Just a Bus pass will do.... But
the 5 day is just not long enough.... and more time in bermuda is
optimal and HAL has a great Itin! But Celebrity comes in 2nd!

Susie

Hey, Susie girl, I am so appreciative of your expert insight, and I must
admit, I am quite amazed by how much you all like Bermuda. I would never
have imagined it to be so beloved!

I almost always choose for itinerary, but the one and only time I sailed
HAL for itinerary (Baltics), I swore I wouldn't go out with them again
until I was ready to step into Heaven's Waiting Room, which is what the
CD's staff called the ship. Rude!

Thanks, again.

--
Diana Ball
Austin, TX

Hello Miss Diana!
Sometimes I choose for ship Like doing the ALLURE that is definitly
for the SHIP not the Itinerary.
Sometimes we chose price to just get together with Friends and go
away.
But itinerary is a consideration and sometimes the ship dont win out!
Bermuda We love its like living in NJ and going to the shore for the
week with the Family . this has been done so long in this neck of the
woods, btu IF I have my druthers I go for a week at the Beach in
Bermuda LOL and its less then the NJ Shore cause that is work having
to cook and spend alot on Amusements on the boardwalk etc.. Give me
the beautiful beaches of Bermuda.
The last trip on HAL the Food was excellent MUCH better then the
other Cruise Lines and the Service was great. YEP there were so old
farts I mean FOlks that can be cantakerous But all in all it was all
positive. I think the ship devor was ugly LOL, but WOW I took a inside
room ( was slumming it) and it was HUGE

Susie
Cruise outlets and travel
www.cruiseoutlets.com
sail with the VIkings 12-5-10 Carnival Valor
12-4-11 Allure of the Seas

Old May 7th, 2010, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

On May 5, 10:47�am, D Ball wrote:
On 5/5/2010 9:06 AM, Warren wrote:

On May 5, 12:55 am, D �wrote:
I almost always choose for itinerary, but the one and only time I sailed
HAL for itinerary (Baltics), I swore I wouldn't go out with them again
until I was ready to step into Heaven's Waiting Room, which is what the
CD's staff called the ship. Rude!

Diana,

I'll probably be the first one in the thread to suggest that if you
want a cruise to feel like a cruise - and by that I mean time spent at
sea - then book Summit. Cruises to Bermuda for me have always felt
like I've booked a floating hotel rather than a cruise.

I'm also going to commit the heresy of saying that IMHO, the
advantages of docking in Hamilton and St. Georges over being at Kings
Wharf are a bit overblown. Yes, it is nice to just walk on/off the
ship to explore, return, go back out but it's not as if there's THAT
much to see and do that you can't cover it all by taking a 30-60
minute ferry ride. Most of the places and beaches that you'd go to
from Hamilton are as close to (or even closer to) Kings Wharf. And
really, one evening in Hamilton and you've covered all the nightlife,
which again is just a ferry, bus or cab ride away. You don't strike me
as someone who would mind this. �I personally feel that navigating the
ferry system adds a bit of adventure and nautical flavor to being on
Bermuda.

Finally, having done 2 HAL cruises (one on Veendam's sister ship
Maasdam the other Noordam) and 1 Celebrity cruise (Solstice) in the
last 3 years, IMHO Celebrity provides the superior product overall.
And that opinion comes from someone who wasn't impressed with
Celebrity the first couple of times I sailed with them, FWIW.

Warren

Well...this changes everything!

Thanks so much for sharing your opinions, Warren. You have hit on a lot
of things that strike a chord with me--the logistics of ferry rides and
local buses actually appeal to me, and like you, after our recent
Solstice cruise, I'm feeling rather high on Celebrity right now after
also not being impressed with them my first time out.

I may not steer clear of the Summit after all. The departure from NYC is
another draw.

Thanks, again.

Are you stacked, Warren?!

Diana- Hide quoted text -

Oh Diana do not stay clear of Bermuda.. Ship does not matter
yes it is easier to get to the Mainland per se on some other otions
but if you prefer Celebrity By all means take it!

Old May 7th, 2010, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

BILL:
Do not think you will be unhappy with HAL, it is a little laid back,but
after a full day of touring,it is nice to just be quiet and relax. have
sailed hal 6 times and would still go on one of their ships if the price
was right,and did not involve flying.

cruise lover(~~~~~)

..