actual travel topic

Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:04 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default actual travel topic

Lots of irrelevant threads being fed here lately, so I thought I'd be
really weird and start one on topic 8-)
I'm om Orkney Mainland now and due to visit, among other goodies, Skara
Brae today.

Saturday I went castle-hunting near Aberdeen, beginning with Dunnottar,
which is sited magnificently. . .reaching which is really hard on ancient
legs 8-) The other castles I "bagged" were easier to reach.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 5/2/2011 4:04 AM, Erilar wrote:
Lots of irrelevant threads being fed here lately, so I thought I'd be
really weird and start one on topic 8-)
I'm om Orkney Mainland now and due to visit, among other goodies, Skara
Brae today.

Saturday I went castle-hunting near Aberdeen, beginning with Dunnottar,
which is sited magnificently. . .reaching which is really hard on ancient
legs 8-) The other castles I "bagged" were easier to reach.

I'm looking forward to your trip reports!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 09:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:
On Mon, 2 May 2011 08:04:16 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

Lots of irrelevant threads being fed here lately, so I thought I'd be
really weird and start one on topic 8-)
I'm om Orkney Mainland now and due to visit, among other goodies, Skara
Brae today.

Saturday I went castle-hunting near Aberdeen, beginning with Dunnottar,
which is sited magnificently. . .reaching which is really hard on ancient
legs 8-) The other castles I "bagged" were easier to reach.

No iPad photos? :-)

IPad 1 Hundreds of them with my camera, however 8-)
--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2011-05-02 03:04:16 -0500, Erilar said:

Lots of irrelevant threads being fed here lately, so I thought I'd be
really weird and start one on topic 8-)
I'm om Orkney Mainland now and due to visit, among other goodies, Skara
Brae today.

Saturday I went castle-hunting near Aberdeen, beginning with Dunnottar,
which is sited magnificently. . .reaching which is really hard on ancient
legs 8-) The other castles I "bagged" were easier to reach.

Erilar, if you like that you may also like the Knap of Howar. It's two
rooms similar to Skara Brae on Papa Westray. It's more interesting
because it's something like 5,500 years old. Also, the flight from
Westray (reached from Mainlaid) to Papa Westray is something like two
minutes in duration, the shortest regularly-scheduled flight in the
world.

Possibly while you are there, you can hire a boat to the Holm of Papa
Westray off to the east, where there is a big burial mound. I was not
able to do this myself, at the boatman had his boat upside down in
preparation for painting, at the time I visited. The walk around the
southeast coast was interesting too, just watch for the dive-bombing
seabirds.

--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda

Old May 3rd, 2011, 07:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerrit

"Erilar" wrote in message
Lots of irrelevant threads being fed here lately, so I thought I'd be
really weird and start one on topic 8-)
I'm om Orkney Mainland now and due to visit, among other goodies, Skara
Brae today.

Saturday I went castle-hunting near Aberdeen, beginning with Dunnottar,
which is sited magnificently. . .reaching which is really hard on ancient
legs 8-) The other castles I "bagged" were easier to reach.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

Actually the past couple of months has not been too bad.
Most of the rubbish appears to have given up and some on topic stuff is
finally appearing again.
I was about to get rid of newsgroups but have decided to hang around for a
bit longer.

Gerrit - Oz

Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:43 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Dan Stephenson wrote:
On 2011-05-02 03:04:16 -0500, Erilar said:

[...]

That does sound interesting, but my week is already packed and includes two
island trips as it is, to Rousay and Hoy. I'm the whole "group", but my
guide, who is terrific and a real archaeologist, has as much set up as I
can handle already. I'm having a great trip 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerrit

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 May 2011 14:16:52 +0800, "Gerrit" wrote:

"Erilar" wrote in message
Lots of irrelevant threads being fed here lately, so I thought I'd be
really weird and start one on topic 8-)
I'm om Orkney Mainland now and due to visit, among other goodies, Skara
Brae today.

Saturday I went castle-hunting near Aberdeen, beginning with Dunnottar,
which is sited magnificently. . .reaching which is really hard on
ancient
legs 8-) The other castles I "bagged" were easier to reach.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad

Actually the past couple of months has not been too bad.
Most of the rubbish appears to have given up and some on topic stuff is
finally appearing again.
I was about to get rid of newsgroups but have decided to hang around for a
bit longer.

Gerrit - Oz

Welcome back Gerrit! We passed through Pernis early yesterday morning.
--

Martin

Through or past?
Takes a bit of getting in to. :-)

Gerrit - Oz

Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:53 AM
Dorothy456 Dorothy456 is offline
Banned

Could anyone tell me the actual rudder travel when the cables are hooked up? Thanks in advance happy building.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerrit

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 3 May 2011 17:10:38 +0800, "Gerrit" wrote:

. ..

"Erilar" wrote in message
[...]

Past as fast as possible. It was very whiffy.
--

Martin

I can imagine that. Now you have one of the reasons my parents took me to
Australia when I was 8 years old. Never been sorry that they did.
Been back a few times though.
Last time was May last year.
Also drove to Norway and Sweden then. Much nicer than Pernis.

Gerrit - Oz

Old May 3rd, 2011, 05:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Martin wrote:

wrote:

Lots of irrelevant threads being fed here lately, so I thought I'd be
really weird and start one on topic 8-)
I'm om Orkney Mainland now and due to visit, among other goodies, Skara
Brae today.

Saturday I went castle-hunting near Aberdeen, beginning with Dunnottar,
which is sited magnificently. . .reaching which is really hard on ancient
legs 8-) The other castles I "bagged" were easier to reach.

No iPad photos? :-)

IPad 1 Hundreds of them with my camera, however 8-)

Are you going to share them with us?

You picked a good year/time to visit Orkney. I take it you have bright
sunshine and a strongish wind too? My friends who visited Orkney last
year had nothing but rain.

Good description. I've been very lucky so far with weather. It's been
much better than what I was braced for!

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad