Republic Democratic of Congo, is it safe?

Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Republic Democratic of Congo, is it safe?

Hi, I'd like to visit the Republic Democratic of Congo (Congo-Kinshasa), do you
know if it is safe? I'd like to sail Congo river by motorboat. Do you have this
experience?
Thanks

bye Jones
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:11 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Jones" wrote in message
Hi, I'd like to visit the Republic Democratic of Congo (Congo-Kinshasa),
do you
know if it is safe? I'd like to sail Congo river by motorboat. Do you have
this
experience?
Thanks

bye Jones

Hi Jones:
Google "life in Congo" under deja.news and you can read 5 or 6 reports about
living in Kinshasa. Likewise, there's a recent thread here about Brazzaville
that has another installment. I lived there for 3 years until this past
June.

Its safe enough, if you have some good common sense and know when and how to
avoid trouble. The city can shut down ("ville morte") during times of
strife, and if you're white....stay indoors. Avoid uprisings or unrest like
your life depends on it (it does), keep your mouth shut about the government
or military, don't go wandering around at night, and keep your money and
possessions hidden. Expect to pay endless bribes and be approached daily by
dozens and dozens of people asking to do little things for you for pay, and
dozens more asking for handouts. Kids are the worst; they are ruthless and
homeless and desparate. Its a city in turmoil and poverty, but its also a
fascinating time to visit. Its best if you know someone there, otherwise you
can feel pretty lost and possibly get into trouble. Its definately still a
hardship place and constantly on the verge of civil unrest, even coup.

There's a tour group called 'Go Congo' (google them) who offer trips on the
river, and it would be safe with them as they can provide translation,
protection, evacuation, etc. Certainly its safer outside the city, but if
you go too far into the woods you can encounter rogue soldiers who can, and
will, rob you. The general jungle folk aren't a risk until you get about
halfway to Kinsengani where there are cannibals/ Really.

Kin is safer than it was a few years ago, and just beginning to open up to
the most intrepid travellers.

--riverman

Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:36 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Hi dear friend riverman,
thanks a lot for your news. I am a lucky man because I have met you.
In July I'd like to depart from Kisangani to Mbandaka by motorboat.
I am a solitary traveller and I like to travel alone. But when I will arrive to
Kinshasa
I will need a travel agency for finding a local guide and a motorboat in
Kisangani.
In fact in Kisangani will start my sailing on the Congo river.
Do you know this expanse of river? My greatest passion is to know ethnic
groups.
I have some contacts of people in Kinshasa, they are normal people surfing in
Internet and
they have just told me will help me when I will arrive there.
I hope they will be fidate people.
I already know cameroon and this year I'd like to visit Democratic Republic of
Congo.
I will read "life in Congo" but I'd like to know if in your opinion it is
possible that trip on Congo river.
Thanks a lot again,

Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:17 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

"Jones" wrote in message
news
[...]

Yes, Jones. A trip on the Congo is entirely possible. The river is
HUGE...just upstream from Kin it opens up to about 5 km wide. But after
that, it narrows down to about 2000 meters wide for much of the distance to
Kisingani. There are some large cargo/transport boats that go upstream and
down, and take about 3 weeks to a month to get from Kisengani to Kin, but
the trip is very uncomfortable, hot, cramped and risky. These boats get
stuck on sand bars, people get sick, people fall overboard and disappear,
etc. There are no comfortable accomodations, and you will live among
animals, open sewage, etc. All cooking is done by the passengers on deck
over open fires, and people eat all sorts of bizarre foods. The boats carry
far more people than they are rated for.

I think your best bet would be to either hire Go Congo, or else try to make
some sort of connection before you get to Kinshasa for berth on one of the
vessels along with the crew on a return trip. Tough, if you don't know
Lingala. Try to make some contacts among the missionaries....they are well
connected. People used to do the trip to/from Kisengani regularly, but about
10 years ago almost all of the vessels were scuttled (there are thousands of
boats sunk around Kinshasa, clogging up the shore and docks) and AFAIK,
there is only one or two boats going up to Kisengani semi-regularly now. But
I hear that its opening up a bit more, day by day. If you're a world-class
traveller, you might make an adventure of a lifetime out of it. Probably
boring, but interesting. Its definately NOT like Cameroon...and July is
hotter than hell there.

--riverman

Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:08 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Dear riverman,
thanks for your news. Could you give me your email? I'd like to ask some
questions, please.
However I have not explained fine you. I don't like to travel in a group but
alone.
Therefore in Kisangani I will need a local and trusted guide and a fast
motorboat because I will not have many free days. In your opinion will it be
easy to find a good and fast motorboat in Kisangani? How many days will I need
to reach Mbandaka?
How many flights are there from Kinshasa to Kisangani and from Mbandaka to
Kinshasa (every week)?
I have to plan well my trip because I will not have many free days.
Thanks, Jones

Its definately NOT like Cameroon...and July is hotter than hell there.

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean precisely. I know Cameroon.
Is Congo more interesting and hot than Cameroon?

Old March 24th, 2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Hi Jones:
My email is a yahoo.com address, and my username is myronbuck. I'm no
longer in Kinshasa, but I have lots of info and some recent experience,
so maybe I can help.

What I meant by the comparison to Cameroon is that Congo is much
hotter, much more disorganized, and MUCH more dangerous.

There used to be a regular ferry to Mbandaka years ago, before the
wars. AFAIK that ferry hasn't run for many years now, and I haven't
heard that its started up. Occasionally, a boat will go upstream to
Kisengani, stopping along the way, but again I haven't heard of
anything regular. Also, the entire fleet of boats is pretty much
decimated, so whatever boat is going now would be a seriously
compromised vessel. I did see one boat working its way upstream during
the 3 years I was there, but its seemed pretty derelict.

HewaBora airlines flies to Kisengani regularly, and on to Goma. For a
brief time while I was there, there was a lull in the war and I was
able to fly to Goma, but since then it has become very unsafe for
travellers, and there have been several incursions by the militaries
into the region. I know several NGO workers who had to be evacuated
under gunfire, and I cannot think of any 'tourists' who went there
(Goma) after I was there.

Nonetheless, there ARE westerners all over Congo; in Kinsengani, Goma
and Mbandaka. Most of them are UN peacekeepers or their associates,
some are NGO workers, and many are Missionaries who have lived there
for years and have contacts. The missionaries have a flight service
that makes scheduled flights to several bush communities, and are
available for private transportation, but they aren't cheap.

If time is an issue for you, I'd reconsider. Congo does NOT run on any
sort of timetable....its still a country in disarray. Flights are
cancelled for days on end, leaving people stranded. Military incursions
flare up regularly, changing plans and itineraries. Distances are huge:
from Kinshasa to Mbandaka is several days by fast motorboat, over a
week by slow ferry. Kin to Kisengani is impassible on land, and up to a
month on river. You can fly in a matter of hours, IF the flight goes
through.

However, things there change fast, and my info can easily be out of
date. I think you could make use of these resources:

Go Congo travel. They are based in Kin, and know all the most recent
info...however they will try to sell you a trip. But they can make all
the arrangements and provide protection and security.

Hewa Bora airlines (www.hba.cd): they used to be AirCongo, and they fly
all the interior routes. When I flew to Goma, no one was allowed off
the plane in Kinsengani, but maybe thats changed. They are definately a
'duct tape and bailing wire' airplane.

MAF (Mission Aviation Fellowship: www.maf.org) this is the missionary
airline, that has a few smaller planes for hire. The contact person is
Mr. Greg Heller: I think his email is

For local boat rides around Kin, the Kinshasa Yacht Club has boats for
hire, but they are extremely expensive, and will not take you more than
a few miles upstream because of the danger of theft, or worse.

I'd also contact your embassy in Kinshasa to see what the modes of
travel available are. But mostly, I'd give it another few years before
you went wandering around there on your own.

--riverman