Copenhagen's Tivoli to be ruined

Old November 29th, 2006, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rat

Default Copenhagen's Tivoli to be ruined

http://www.cphpost.dk:80/get/99197.html

World renowned architect Lord Norman Foster has been selected to
design the newest addition to Tivoli amusement park - a luxury
high-rise

Plans to build a trade-mark high rise in Copenhagen came one step
closer to reality last week as Tivoli amusement park announced that
British architect Lord Norman Foster will design a 102-metre-high
hotel and apartment building in the central Copenhagen landmark.

The search for an architect began six months ago, when Tivoli invited
three renowned architectural firms to design a proposal for a new
structure that would compliment the 167-year-old park and harmonise
with the surrounding area.

Explaining the thoughts behind the proposal, Foster explained that it
was important for the building to blend in with Copenhagen’s existing
architecture. He said his building would pay a compliment to its
closest neighbour, city hall and its 105-metre bell tower.

‘The goal of our proposal was to respect the current heights of
buildings in Copenhagen. The building will be very slender and look
like a tower, but that will make it fit in with all the other towers
and spires in Copenhagen.’

Lars Liebst, the managing director of Tivoli, felt that the Foster +
Partners building would secure Copenhagen’s place on the architectural
map and give the city a new landmark. He expected, however, that not
everyone would approve of a steel and glass structure in the
brick-and-mortar downtown area.

‘We are used to getting resistance from people when making any
modifications in Tivoli. It happened when we wanted to build the
concert hall and with several of the new roller coasters. But a bit of
resistance has never stopped Tivoli from developing.’

One of the groups already marshalling resistance to the new building
is the Friends of Tivoli. The group of concerned citizens from
throughout the Copenhagen area has supported many of the changes made
to Tivoli in the past few years. But they say the new building will
shatter the park’s romantic charm.

‘I don’t think Norman Foster’s building is very respectful of the area
at all. It’s too massive, it’s placed in the wrong spot and opening it
up to private residents is a break with Tivoli’s past,’ said Peter
Holst Eriksen, the group’s spokesperson. ‘This is a terrible mistake.’

A similar argument was made in the late-1950s when Copenhagen’s first
skyscraper was being built just outside Tivoli’s front gate. Today the
20-storey Radisson SAS Royal hotel is hailed as a landmark of the Jet
Age and its Arne Jacobsen design the epitome of modern Denmark.

Across the road from Tivoli at city hall, members of the city council
are already looking forward to their new view.

‘It looks like a beautiful building and it fits in well with other
buildings in the city,’ said Lord Mayor Ritt Bjerregaard.

If the project is approved by the city council, the building will be
finished by 2010.

Old November 29th, 2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike O'Sullivan

Rat wrote:
http://www.cphpost.dk:80/get/99197.html

Plans to build a trade-mark high rise in Copenhagen came one step
closer to reality last week as Tivoli amusement park announced that
British architect Lord Norman Foster will design a 102-metre-high
hotel and apartment building in the central Copenhagen landmark.

Considering you need to pay to enter the park will the apartment owners
need to provide proof of ownership before gaining entry to their property?
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Lennart Petersen

"Mike O'Sullivan" skrev i meddelandet
Rat wrote:
http://www.cphpost.dk:80/get/99197.html

Plans to build a trade-mark high rise in Copenhagen came one step
closer to reality last week as Tivoli amusement park announced that
British architect Lord Norman Foster will design a 102-metre-high
hotel and apartment building in the central Copenhagen landmark.

Considering you need to pay to enter the park will the apartment owners
need to provide proof of ownership before gaining entry to their property?

----------
I would guess that the building is to be built with access from the street.

Old November 29th, 2006, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge

so what ?

"Rat" a écrit dans le message de news:
[...]

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Old November 29th, 2006, 09:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

Rat wrote:
http://www.cphpost.dk:80/get/99197.html

Plans to build a trade-mark high rise in Copenhagen came one step
closer to reality last week as Tivoli amusement park announced that
British architect Lord Norman Foster will design a 102-metre-high
hotel and apartment building in the central Copenhagen landmark.

Considering you need to pay to enter the park will the apartment owners
need to provide proof of ownership before gaining entry to their property?

----------
I would guess that the building is to be built with access from the street.

Like some of the existing restaurants.

Old November 30th, 2006, 01:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Rat

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:39:56 +0100, "Runge"
wrote:

so what ?

If you're not interested, then MYOFB.

Old November 30th, 2006, 10:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jeremy Bender

wrote:

so what ?

If you're not interested, then MYOFB.

well said !!

Old November 30th, 2006, 09:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_13_]

wrote:

so what ?

If you're not interested, then MYOFB.