Leeway for final payment?

Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jeff Gersten

Default Leeway for final payment?

I had June 2nd marked on my calendar as the date my TA had indicated
that final payment was due for our August 21st cruise. Figuring that he
would be closed on both Sunday and Memorial Day Monday and his phones
would probably be extra busy after those days off, I called in to make
our final payment on Saturday May 29th. (It was going to end up on the
same month's credit card bill even if I had paid it a week plus later.)

Anyway, I asked him what they do when customers do not call in their
final payment by the due date. HIs answer was that they actually gave a
due date 5 days earlier than the deadline. They monitor to see if
payments are not made, and call for 5 days to remind their clients that
the payment is now due.

Just wondering, is this the normal industry wide procedure, or does each
travel agency handle this in their own way?

Old June 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
George Leppla

On 6/2/2010 8:04 AM, Jeff Gersten wrote:
I had June 2nd marked on my calendar as the date my TA had indicated
that final payment was due for our August 21st cruise. Figuring that he
would be closed on both Sunday and Memorial Day Monday and his phones
would probably be extra busy after those days off, I called in to make
our final payment on Saturday May 29th. (It was going to end up on the
same month's credit card bill even if I had paid it a week plus later.)

Anyway, I asked him what they do when customers do not call in their
final payment by the due date. HIs answer was that they actually gave a
due date 5 days earlier than the deadline. They monitor to see if
payments are not made, and call for 5 days to remind their clients that
the payment is now due.

Just wondering, is this the normal industry wide procedure, or does each
travel agency handle this in their own way?

I tell people the actual due date and start reminding them a week ahead
of time.

For groups, I sometimes add a few days to the deadline... working with
groups can be like herding cats and sometimes an extra day or two is
helpful.

FWIW - most cruise lines won't cancel your booking if the payment is a
day or two late, but there are exceptions. Better to pay a few days early.

--

George Leppla

Countryside Travel http://www.CruiseMaster.com
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/CruiseMaster
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:24 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LVTravel[_1_]

"Jeff Gersten" wrote in message
I had June 2nd marked on my calendar as the date my TA had indicated
that final payment was due for our August 21st cruise. Figuring that he
would be closed on both Sunday and Memorial Day Monday and his phones
would probably be extra busy after those days off, I called in to make
our final payment on Saturday May 29th. (It was going to end up on the
same month's credit card bill even if I had paid it a week plus later.)

Anyway, I asked him what they do when customers do not call in their
final payment by the due date. HIs answer was that they actually gave a
due date 5 days earlier than the deadline. They monitor to see if
payments are not made, and call for 5 days to remind their clients that
the payment is now due.

Just wondering, is this the normal industry wide procedure, or does each
travel agency handle this in their own way?

When I set up a group, due to the requirements of the cruise line in
releasing cabins I don't want to be stuck with unsold cabins that may have
to be paid for out of pocket, therefore on groups only, I always set the
guest's "drop dead date" 5 business days before the final payment date.
This gives me time to actually get all my ducks in a row and ensure that I
don't make a mistake in releasing cabins (of course I always hope to not
have to release cabins.) I also notify the guests 10 days before the final
date of the upcoming payment date (or 5 days before the DDD.)

For individual bookings, some cruise lines will allow the credit card on
file to automatically be charged on the final payment date if the customer
agrees to this. I have used this many times for my customers and if the
line offers it I will let the customer know of this option. I will also
notify them that the charge will be going on the CC 5 days before it does.

Old June 4th, 2010, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

Just wondering, is this the normal industry wide procedure, or does each
travel agency handle this in their own way?

Jeff,

Its all up to the travel Agency as to how they do this, Being a agent
I SURELY understand why they do this, I usually give the date or 1 day
prior or if it falls on a weekend I do it for the Friday date. However
as others say when it comes to a group I do a week or 2 ahead of time.
It has been shown that in a group there seems to be one person that
always seems to lag behind the others even with a reminder. there is
paperwork and as some say getting our "Ducks in a row".If they are
going to pay by Check I ask for it a week prior to the final so it can
clear.

susie
Cruise Outlets and Travel
800 853 9515
www.cruiseoutlets.com
Come Sail with the Vikings!
Carnival Valor- 5Dec10
Allure of the Seas 4Dec11
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "LVTravel" :

[...]

Same here. I start sending out reminders about 10 days before DDD,
which is actually 5 days before DDD.

For individual bookings, some cruise lines will allow the credit card on
file to automatically be charged on the final payment date if the customer
agrees to this. I have used this many times for my customers and if the
line offers it I will let the customer know of this option. I will also
notify them that the charge will be going on the CC 5 days before it does.

I also send out a reminder about 5 days before my date, which is 5
days before DDD. BUT, I try to have a credit card authorization on
file for the final. I notify the client the day before that I'm
making the charge and also after making the charge.

For me, everything is 5 days early. This is the only way to get
things done on time.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Warick: "Who brings a gun to a knife fight?"
Gil: "The winner?"