Princess

Old June 13th, 2011, 01:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default Princess

"Jr." wrote:

When we sailed on Princess this past January we were advised that there
were less than 70 people on the ship (of 3155) that were under the age of 18.

If you want to go Princess with a youngster the best time is during
Christmas recess. They said there were about 785 under the age of 18 on that cruise.

I doubt that she cares if there are others in her grand daughters age group
on board. And that was not her question. But if you think about it, not
likely she will be taking the grand daughter out of school, so whatever
time she takes her will be when school is out which means other young
people on board.
--
Charles
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 6/13/2011 1:58 AM, peter wrote:
And that was not her question. But if you think about it, not
likely she will be taking the grand daughter out of school, so whatever
time she takes her will be when school is out which means other young
people on board.

That conclusion is based on the assumption that all schools are out at the
same time. That assumption is wrong.

Really? How many schools have classes in July?
Old June 13th, 2011, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 6/13/2011 9:09 AM, Bill wrote:
On 6/13/2011 1:58 AM, peter wrote:
And that was not her question. But if you think about it, not
likely she will be taking the grand daughter out of school, so whatever
time she takes her will be when school is out which means other young
people on board.

That conclusion is based on the assumption that all schools are out at
the
same time. That assumption is wrong.

Really? How many schools have classes in July?

There are places with 12 month school years and longer breaks. It's not
that common, but it happens.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:33 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On 13 Jun 2011 00:53:16 GMT, Charles
wrote:
"Jr." wrote:

When we sailed on Princess this past January we were advised that there
were less than 70 people on the ship (of 3155) that were under the age of 18.

If you want to go Princess with a youngster the best time is during
Christmas recess. They said there were about 785 under the age of 18 on that cruise.

I doubt that she cares if there are others in her grand daughters age group
on board. And that was not her question. But if you think about it, not
likely she will be taking the grand daughter out of school, so whatever
time she takes her will be when school is out which means other young
people on board.

I did already consider the factor of what the age group of the
passengers would be. That's because the first trip I took a
grandchild on was a bus trip in early June an there were only two
other children on the tour. He was almost 14, and the other two
children were 9 and 10. He had a good time, but both of us would have
liked some other children for him to interact with. That's when I
switched to cruises because with a larger group of people there would
be more chance of other kids their age.

The cruise I have booked is on the Dawn Princess in July. That is a
cruise in Australia My granddaughter (who will be almost 13) is from
Miami and will be out of school. The Australian schools will be
having a short vacation in July but the time depends on the school
district. Their long vacation is around Jan. which is their summer.

So far, none of the ship's children's programs have particularly
engaged my grandchildren. The second one (a boy almost 14) was very
shy and it was an NCL cruise at spring break. While there were girls
his age on the ship (which his cousin would have really liked), he was
either too shy or not interested in them and he thought the boys were
geeky. So he just shot some hoops and played some video games. The
third one (a girl almost 13) wasn't interested in the little boys in
the program for her age and did not even go to the kids area. This
was a June cruise to the Baltic on HAL. The fourth one (a boy almost
13) was June on NCL in Hawaii, and he did participate in some of the
sports activities, but as a kind of independent person. He wasn't
signed up for the children's program.

Old June 14th, 2011, 03:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 6/14/2011 8:33 AM, wrote:

The cruise I have booked is on the Dawn Princess in July. That is a
cruise in Australia My granddaughter (who will be almost 13) is from
Miami and will be out of school. The Australian schools will be
having a short vacation in July but the time depends on the school
district. Their long vacation is around Jan. which is their summer.

I hope you bring a lot of stuff on the plane to entertaine her. That's
a really, really long flight to Australia. BTDT.

If you can check Seat Expert
http://seatexpert.com/ or Seat Guru
http://www.seatguru.com/ and try to get seats with an electric socket so
she can charge up her electronic toys. I don't know many teens her age
that don't travel with a bunch of them. Heck, I'm an old lady about to
go on Medicare and I don't travel without a Nook, a Nintendo and an MP3
player :-)
Old June 14th, 2011, 05:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

wrote:

The cruise I have booked is on the Dawn Princess in July. That is a
cruise in Australia My granddaughter (who will be almost 13) is from
Miami and will be out of school. The Australian schools will be
having a short vacation in July but the time depends on the school
district. Their long vacation is around Jan. which is their summer.

That sounds like neat itinerary to take her on. Since that is cruise for
the Australian market their school vacation time would have an impact on
the number of kids onboard.

Have to mention something in light of some previous discussions. That is
the oldest class of Princess ships. They have some fairly small inside
cabins. I recall on one of that class of ships there was not enough room on
either side of the bed to get off on the side when made into a queen bed.
--
Charles
Old June 15th, 2011, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kenn Smith

I agree with Janet - take a lot of entertainment stuff with you, it is a
veeery long flight. (a sleeping pill might help.) On our Quantas flight
in November of 2009 it was a late night (11:15 PM) takeoff from LAX, 14
hours in the air and an early morning landing in Sydney. We had gotten
up early morning in Central Texas, driven to Austin, flew AUS-DFW-LAX,
had about a four hour layover and launched from LAX. By the time we
arrived at our Sydney we had been on the move for something like 30
hours. For a couple in their 70's that's a long stretch. I can sleep
soundly on an airplane but my wife can't -she catnaps.
It took her a little longer to recover from jet lag than it did me.

Would we do it again? You betcha! (to quote Sarah Palin) Our cruise
on the RSSC Mariner was the trip of a lifetime.

Old June 15th, 2011, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Chrissy Cruiser[_3_]

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:56:59 -0500, Kenn Smith wrote:

You betcha! (to quote Sarah Palin)

Don't.

US politics are insufferably absurd and embarrassing enough to have
them invade a cruise newsgruppe.
--
http://www.scroogle.org/gifs/evo16.gif
Old June 16th, 2011, 02:08 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 6/15/2011 12:56 PM, Kenn Smith wrote:
I agree with Janet - take a lot of entertainment stuff with you, it is a
veeery long flight. (a sleeping pill might help.) On our Quantas flight
in November of 2009 it was a late night (11:15 PM) takeoff from LAX, 14
hours in the air and an early morning landing in Sydney. We had gotten
up early morning in Central Texas, driven to Austin, flew AUS-DFW-LAX,
had about a four hour layover and launched from LAX. By the time we
arrived at our Sydney we had been on the move for something like 30
hours. For a couple in their 70's that's a long stretch. I can sleep
soundly on an airplane but my wife can't -she catnaps.
It took her a little longer to recover from jet lag than it did me.

Would we do it again? You betcha! (to quote Sarah Palin) Our cruise
on the RSSC Mariner was the trip of a lifetime.

I remember how tired you both were from those flights. I travel with
Valium which I wash down with a little bottle of airplane wine. Knocks
me right out. I am a much better sleeper than I am a flier. g

Old June 17th, 2011, 06:03 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Brian K

Janet Wilder wrote On 6/15/2011 9:08 PM:
[...]

FYI Valium is physically addictive. You can get the same results with
over-the-counter Benedryl and wake up with clear sinus to boot. Just my
2-cents.

Brian

--
________