Cheapest way from Manhattan Penn Station to EWR?

Old May 27th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Binyamin Dissen

Default Cheapest way from Manhattan Penn Station to EWR?

What is the cheapest way from Manhattan Penn Station to EWR, involving walking
no more than a mile?

I see that it is $11.55 from Penn to EWR, but only $3.30 from Penn to Newark
Penn (which, if I recall correctly, was a short trip).

It is $6.80 to continue on to EWR (for a total price of $10.10, about a $1.50
less than a combined ticket).

What is a cheap way to finish the trip, assuming no bags? I am going to pick
up a car, which is cheaper there.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com
Old May 27th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Michael Thiele

Binyamin Dissen schrieb:
What is the cheapest way from Manhattan Penn Station to EWR, involving walking
no more than a mile?

I believe it is less than a mile walking if you decide to swim down the
Hudson and land near the airport.

I see that it is $11.55 from Penn to EWR, but only $3.30 from Penn to Newark
Penn (which, if I recall correctly, was a short trip).

It is $6.80 to continue on to EWR (for a total price of $10.10, about a $1.50
less than a combined ticket).

What is a cheap way to finish the trip, assuming no bags? I am going to pick
up a car, which is cheaper there.

take the local NJT bus to the airport from Newark Penn for a buck or
two. Also if your origin is not NYC Penn but anywhere else in Manhattan,
take the PATH, it is 1,50. so cheaper than 3,30 for the NJT train.
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Thomas E. Parody

What is the cheapest way from Manhattan Penn Station to EWR, involving

walking
no more than a mile?

I see that it is $11.55 from Penn to EWR, but only $3.30 from Penn to

Newark
Penn (which, if I recall correctly, was a short trip).

A cheaper and possibly more direct route is to take a New Jersey Transit bus
from Manhattan to EWR. Most of their buses leave from The Port Authority
Bus Terminal. Thus, from Manhattan Penn Station you must either walk to the
bus terminal or take the MTA rail system. As you point out, the bus fare is
$3.30. To find out the schedule for this trip go to
http://atisweb.njtransit.com/cgi-bin...resptype=U#TOP.

Old May 27th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Thu, 27 May 2004 10:55:34 GMT "Thomas E. Parody"
wrote:

: What is the cheapest way from Manhattan Penn Station to EWR, involving
:walking
: no more than a mile?

: I see that it is $11.55 from Penn to EWR, but only $3.30 from Penn to
:Newark
: Penn (which, if I recall correctly, was a short trip).

:A cheaper and possibly more direct route is to take a New Jersey Transit bus
:from Manhattan to EWR. Most of their buses leave from The Port Authority
:Bus Terminal. Thus, from Manhattan Penn Station you must either walk to the
:bus terminal or take the MTA rail system. As you point out, the bus fare is
:$3.30. To find out the schedule for this trip go to
:http://atisweb.njtransit.com/cgi-bin...resptype=U#TOP.

That shows Port Authority to the airport is $4.70.

How did you get $3.30?

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Thomas E. Parody

That shows Port Authority to the airport is $4.70.

The actual out-of-pocket fare that you will pay depends on various things.
For example, if you walk to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and are a
"senior" your NJT bus fare will only be $1.60. However, if you take the
subway in New York and pay cash, your rail fare will be an additional $2.00.
But maybe you have a MetroCard, in which case your subway fare will be zero.
Maybe you are not a senior, in which case your NJT bus fare will be $3.60.
Thus, the actual fare paid could range from $1.60 to $5.60. I hope this is
helpful.

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Thu, 27 May 2004 13:16:10 GMT "Thomas E. Parody"
wrote:

: That shows Port Authority to the airport is $4.70.

:The actual out-of-pocket fare that you will pay depends on various things.
:For example, if you walk to the Port Authority Bus Terminal and are a
:"senior" your NJT bus fare will only be $1.60. However, if you take the
:subway in New York and pay cash, your rail fare will be an additional $2.00.
:But maybe you have a MetroCard, in which case your subway fare will be zero.
:Maybe you are not a senior, in which case your NJT bus fare will be $3.60.
:Thus, the actual fare paid could range from $1.60 to $5.60. I hope this is
:helpful.

My head hurts.

A New York Metro card, good on the subways, can be used on this as well?

Old May 27th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Thomas E. Parody

A New York Metro card, good on the subways, can be used on this as well?

A MetroCard (no space and capital C) can be used for travel in New York City
(and thus, not for the portion of the trip in New Jersey) and they come in
various denominations. (To read more about them, go to
http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/metrocard/m....htm#unlimited). If you do not
already have one, it is unlikely that you would want to purchase one just
for this single trip. But, there are 1-day MetroCards that are good for
unlimited travel on 1 day that you may find beneficial.

Old May 27th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Yaofeng

Binyamin Dissen wrote in message . ..
What is the cheapest way from Manhattan Penn Station to EWR, involving walking
no more than a mile?

I see that it is $11.55 from Penn to EWR, but only $3.30 from Penn to Newark
Penn (which, if I recall correctly, was a short trip).

It is $6.80 to continue on to EWR (for a total price of $10.10, about a $1.50
less than a combined ticket).

What is a cheap way to finish the trip, assuming no bags? I am going to pick
up a car, which is cheaper there.

If time is of no concern to you, you can of course walk, or swim as
the other poster suggested.

But I don't think you'd accept either of these options. Take the Path
train to Newark Penn Station and I believe NJ transit should have bus
to the Airport. Or call a cab from Newark Penn Station.