Honeymoon Trip to Port Douglas?

Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:30 PM
estatesatty

Default Honeymoon Trip to Port Douglas?

Hello all, this is my first post and I am hoping that you can give me
some help with my planning. I have about 5 days in Port Douglas
scheduled for the week before New Year's. My first question pertains
to whether I should be staying in Port Douglas or Cairns. Are we
going to get bored in Port Douglas as opposed to Cairns? With regards
to diving, we are getting a PADI open water certification before we
come. I have looked on the internet and it seems that the dive trip
companies are split into 2 groups. Super expensive small
group--personalized dives--or rediculously large groups. I would like
to find a happy medium, like a dive group with between 5-15 people max
at a reasonable price. Any suggestions? I want to be safe, but I
also would like to be in a smaller group so that we do not end up
going to reefs are all torn up from too many tourists. I am will be
writing with more questions I am sure....
Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM
Bernard Smith

"estatesatty" wrote in message
m...
Hello all, this is my first post and I am hoping that you can give

me
some help with my planning. I have about 5 days in Port Douglas
scheduled for the week before New Year's. My first question

pertains
to whether I should be staying in Port Douglas or Cairns. Are we
going to get bored in Port Douglas as opposed to Cairns?

Depends how you plan to spend your time, but Port is more relaxed.

Port Douglas is a good base for reef trips, Daintree Rainforest,
Mossman Gorge, but with marine stingers at that time of year you will
need to swim at the netted beach or in a pool.

http://www.pddt.com.au/

Cairns is also a good base for reef trips and Kuranda SkyRail/train
trip, but no real beaches.

http://www.cairnsvisitorcentre.com/

Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:52 PM
Mike McBain

Easy question. Stay in Port Douglas. Cairns has nightclubs and eateries
and a big shopping centre, but no decent beach to speak of.

Port Douglas is small, friendly, and relaxed. The beach is never more
than ten minutes walk away. There's plenty of things to do
[hire a bike and riiiiiiiiiiiiiiide along that beach,
slip through past the resort hotels and ride around their golf
course [they hate that], then follow the railway line back]. There's
cheap places to stay as well as veeeery expensive, depending on your
preferences. The Rainforest Habitat at the main road turn-off is
worth a look [try breakfast with the birds], you can book a one-day
Daintree trip or even stay overnight at Cape Trib. There's
plenty of charter boats and SCUBA courses running out to the reef.
University of Queensland and James Cook Uni have a research centre there,
and the right approach there can pay off big time.

Cairns is only an hour away if you want to do the Skyrail or the Kuranda
train round trip, or you must have a KFC, but it's still a small town
living off tourism..

Old September 23rd, 2004, 10:36 PM
estatesatty

I appreciate the help. My thing is this. We will be on our
honeymoon, so I am sure we are not going to want to like go out and
party every night. However, we would like that option if we want to
go have drinks for a night. Is Port Douglas so sleepy that this is
not even viable? We are staying at the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas.
Anyone know anything about this place? Someone mentioned something
about stingers. Is this the high season? Also regarding the beaches,
how bad are they? It seems that there is one good beach to go to, is
that right? What's the best way to do the skyrail? Are there any
night tours of the rain forest? I heard you could go on like a night
tour of the rainforest with like night vision goggles that was cool,
but I have not seen anything about it. Sorry for all the
questions....

thanks in advance!

Old September 24th, 2004, 02:21 AM
Robin

Hi There,
Sheraton Mirage at Port Douglas is an up-market big world-class Resort ideal
for honeymooners.
There are many places just right for honeymooners eg. Kewarra Beach Resort,
Thala Beach Lodge, Angasana Spa, etc but these are all quieter places.
The Mirage is right on the beach, with great swimming lagoon and fine
restaurants. A little away from the township but real luxury.
Port Douglas will be a little sleepy at this time of year as out of season
but not enough to worry you as there are plenty of places to visit.
Stingers - yes they are around at this time of year but swim in the
wonderful pool and not the sea.
Rain - be prepared for tropical storms and heavy rain at times as it is the
rainy season in Jan.
Beaches - Port Douglas 5-mile beach is superb go for long walks and watch
the sunsets. South of Port Douglas are some more delightful beaches (eg
around Palm Cove, Kewarra Beach, Trinity Beach). Cairns does not have a
natural sandy beach only mudflats and a small man-made beach in centre of
town's esplanade - but it is a lively place to visit for a day/evening out.
The road between Cairns and Port Douglas is a stunning coastal drive.
Sightseeing Tours to all surrounding areas depart from Port Douglas Hotels
See
http://www.affiliate.viator.com/broc...GLAS&AUID=2536

As you can see I love this region and prefer to stay in either Port Douglas
or the Northern Beaches area - but do like going into Cairns for a visit
(but not to stay).

Robin

om...

Old September 24th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Mike McBain

(estatesatty) writes:

I appreciate the help. My thing is this. We will be on our
honeymoon, so I am sure we are not going to want to like go out and
party every night. However, we would like that option if we want to
go have drinks for a night. Is Port Douglas so sleepy that this is
not even viable? We are staying at the Sheraton Mirage Port Douglas.
Anyone know anything about this place? Someone mentioned something
about stingers. Is this the high season? Also regarding the beaches,
how bad are they? It seems that there is one good beach to go to, is
that right? What's the best way to do the skyrail? Are there any
night tours of the rain forest? I heard you could go on like a night
tour of the rainforest with like night vision goggles that was cool,
but I have not seen anything about it. Sorry for all the
questions....

The Sheraton Mirage is a bit out of the centre of town, but you won't
have any problems with the night life in Port Douglas--it's not Mount Isa
or Charters Towers. It's not the hottest destination for the younger set,
but it attracts a lot of backpackers and people who know how to have a
good time.

The beach in Port Douglas is not 'bad' in any way. My oldest son learnt
to ride a bicycle on that beach, which is about 4 kilometres long. It's
right out the back of where you'll be staying.

The Rainforest place is good; you'll get to see a cassowary, which you won't
find by yourself in Queensland--nor would you want to; that is one dangerous
ratite. If you go up to the Daintree, rather than the night vision goggles,
just take binoculars and a flashlight.

The best way to do the Skyrail depends on whether you want to take the train
up to Kuranda and return by Skyrail or just take the Skyrail up and back to
Kuranda. Probably the first, if you've never done it before. They have
round-trip tickets from the Cairns railway station: train up, Skyrail down,
minibus back to Cairns.

If there are stingers along the beach, then just swim in the hotel pool.
You can still walk or ride along the beach, swinging a bottle of vinegar.
Don't forget; irukandji can kill.

Old September 24th, 2004, 06:19 AM
maxi

been two times in port d and cairns