A Walk in the Clouds...Gangtok

Old October 5th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Zuhata

Default A Walk in the Clouds...Gangtok

A walk in the clouds..

The winding road that leads you from Siliguri to Gangtok is the most
picturesque one that I have ever come across. Grooves of tall
eucalyptus greet you as soon as you leave the dusty plains of Bengal.
A little further up the hills the ever beautiful Theesta river gurgles
her exuberant welcome. She links her silken arm to yours promising to
walk by your side as the you make your way up. All along the way she
whispers playfully into your ears inviting you to stop a while and
look into her emerald green eyes, or gaze at the majestic Himalayas
that stand guard all around. Interesting nooks abound by the roadside,
standing from where you can witness the mesmeric rhythm of undulating
hills, each crest with its own shade of green, silently beckoning you
to get off the beaten path and explore. At the Tibetan style gate to
the state of Sikkim, Theesta bids you goodbye and rushes back down to
guide other wayfarers like you. The majestic mountains now take over
your charge and lead you through the pristine green forests and stay
with with you until you enter the quaint Gangtok town, perched on the
top of a mountain 6000 Ft over the sea level.

Gangtok is a fascinating place, a Sanghri-La where time itself stopped
to take a breather. It is an interesting mix of classical Tibetan
culture juxtaposed with modern Indian lifestyle. The scenery all
around, from any point in the town that you might be, is truly
breath-taking. The majestic Kanchanjunga looms over, as you slowly
take a stroll through the main shopping district and gaggles of cute
children can be seen running around most of the time. Small Momo shops
dish out tasty Tibetan fare in street corners even as shops next to
them sell everything from Sikkimese handicraft to the latest
electronics and fashions merchandise.

The view from the terrace of my wife's house is really wonderful.
Green mountains, almost untouched by human habitation slowly unveil
themselves through the mist every morning. Throughout the day
colourful Buddhist flags flutter in the mountain winds, spreading afar
the tidings of peace and the blessings of the Enlightened One. As the
evening wafts in, amidst the chants of mantras, Buddhist hymns and the
ubiquitous whine of televisions, the whole of Burtuk Busti clothes
itself again in a blanket of mist, as if getting ready for facing the
cold night ahead.

I have been to Gangtok thrice already and each of these times I have
found new places to explore and new things to learn. Rumtek Monastary,
Changu Lake (Tsamgo in Tibetan), the Orchid Gardens, the institute of
Tibetology, View Point, Ganesh-Tok are some of the must-see and
must-do things there. There are a number of places in and around
Gangtok, from where you can actually see clouds floating much below
where you stand. One of my recurrent dreams is that of flying, being
in Gangtok is the closest that I have gotten to that.

However, what enchants to me the most, each and everytime, is the way
of life in Gangtok. Make no mistake, Gangtok is a modern Indian
capital town, with its own share of typical urban problems that
assails the rest of the country. Still, in the face of all that life
moves along a trifle unhurriedly and with a little more grace in
Gangtok. Neighbours here really are neighbours and not faceless people
with whom you share walls and the warmth in the morning greetings can
still be discerned.

I feel the appeal of Gangtok, for me, is in its people who have
refused to become automatons in face of the pressures of modern day
living. And in summary that's the message that I bring back for myself
every time I visit the Stay Human.

Jim - http://bubulg.blogspot.com/