some recent images from Kenya

Old October 27th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Bill

Default some recent images from Kenya

.... shot last month on a two week trip during the wildebeest migration
.... http://www.birdsasart.com/toddkenya/index.htm

Bill

Old October 28th, 2005, 08:18 AM
John Macdonald

In message .com, Bill
writes
... shot last month on a two week trip during the wildebeest migration
... http://www.birdsasart.com/toddkenya/index.htm

Bill

Some amazing images! Are they all from Todd Gustafson or are they from
the group as a whole?

I would be interested to find out some of the technical details, for
example the excellent use of fill-in-flash, but not here on the Africa
group.

I would guess the fish eagles might have been baited: were all the
others shot "wild"? I hope no photographers were distressed in the
taking of the rhino close up! :-)

When you get the time, a trip report would be very welcome.
--
John Macdonald
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:59 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On 27 Oct 2005 13:35:29 -0700, Bill wrote:

... shot last month on a two week trip during the wildebeest migration
... http://www.birdsasart.com/toddkenya/index.htm

Bill,

excellent. Best I've seen in years.

I thought of throwing my camera away.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old October 28th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Bill

John Macdonald writes ...

Some amazing images! Are they all from Todd Gustafson or are they
from the group as a whole?

All from just Todd, on just this one trip ... he's a pretty productive
guy.

I would be interested to find out some of the technical details,
for example the excellent use of fill-in-flash

All I know for sure is he is primarily a long-time Nikon user who has
partially switched to Canon for the benefits of the tele-photo Image
Stabilized lenses... specifically he uses mostly a Canon 600 f/4 L IS
with a Canon digital body and also a Nikon digital with the excellent
200-400 f/4 lens. As for the fill flash, he told me it's optional to
bring it but what he uses is a Better Beamer to concentrate the light
with an off-flash bracket on a Wimberly pivot head to avoid red-eye.
Basically you'd just expose normally for the ambient light and set the
flash to somewhere between -2 and -1.3 for a touch of fill with the
Canon, not sure of the exact numbers with the Nikons. Easy to check
the effect with digital and modify on the fly.

When you get the time, a trip report would be very welcome

I wasn't on that trip, I'll be joining Todd and Art and 9 others for 20
days in Tanzania in January, to pretty much the same spots covered in
your post a few weeks back except 5 days at Ndutu.

Bill

Old October 28th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Bill

John Macdonald wrote ...

I would guess the fish eagles might have been baited

Yep. Found this explanation in a trip report ...

"Our safari began at Lake Baringo where we stayed at the Island Camp,
accessible only by boat. We enjoyed lots of great photography from the
large boats and the drivers were exceptionally skilled. The highlights
of the boat trip were the African Fishing Eagles. The boat drivers
have them trained to respond to their whistles and a tossed fish with a
bit of balsa wood sewn into their bellies."

Bill

Old October 29th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Corné

"Bill" schreef in bericht
oups.com...
... shot last month on a two week trip during the wildebeest migration
... http://www.birdsasart.com/toddkenya/index.htm

Bill

Amazing pictures!! Do you also write about your trips?

Bushregards,
Corné.

www.amukela.com