Bangkok to Angkor Wat: tips/suggestions/advice much appreciated!

Old January 20th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Lawrence

Default Bangkok to Angkor Wat: tips/suggestions/advice much appreciated!

Chabon wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:26:06 +0700, Chabon
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:21:07 +0700, Lawrence
wrote:
snip
Completely disagree. Any route from Krabi you take is beautiful until you
get to hiway 4. The road along the coast north of Phuket is stunningly
beautiful. And hiway 4 is also interesting, I think. Lots of interesting
roads to follow off of 4.

snip

That is one of the most stunning I do know, and for a change, because
you have your own vehicle, you could do Trans - Krabi Phangna Phuket
- BEAUTIFUL.

Sorry (spellchecker) read TRANG - not trans

Speaking of Trang, I was watching chong11 news tonight, and they were going
through the actions down south. In Pattani, I watched the bomb team diffuse a
package left on the street, suspiciously, it seems to someone. Anyway they use
some kind of small gun that looks like it it shoots a hard, quick stream into
the package, to, I assume, somehow neutralize the explosive inside....In this
case, they blew up a perfectly good Trang Orange Cake. What a shame. Made my
mouth water while they were picking up the pieces off the street. Yes, it's
good stuff, to be sure ...

Oh, and the blew up a couple more motorcycles, too. They said there were
explosives under the seat, so they isolated one bike and attached a charge to
it. When it blew, it was surprisingly small boom, and made me wonder if there
was something there to begin with. They kept media cameras at quiet a distance,
so there was no way to see the bike close enough on the news...

Lawrence

Old January 20th, 2004, 04:54 PM
panviman

Lawrence wrote on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:40:40 +0700 (was 40 lines):

They kept media cameras at quiet a distance,

I make a point not to comment on spelling because I'm pretty worthless
at it, but in this case, weren't you an English professor? Ok, let's
just say it was a typo ;-)

panviman
Old January 20th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Dieter Aaa

"Lawrence" wrote

Speaking of Trang, I was watching chong11 news tonight, and they were

going
through the actions down south. In Pattani, I watched the bomb team

diffuse a
package left on the street, suspiciously, it seems to someone. Anyway they

use
some kind of small gun that looks like it it shoots a hard, quick stream

into
the package, to, I assume, somehow neutralize the explosive inside....
Oh, and the blew up a couple more motorcycles, too. .....
so there was no way to see the bike close enough on the news...
Lawrence

what is the cause of all these troubles ?

Old January 20th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Lawrence

panviman wrote:

Lawrence wrote on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:40:40 +0700 (was 40 lines):

They kept media cameras at quiet a distance,

I make a point not to comment on spelling because I'm pretty worthless
at it, but in this case, weren't you an English professor? Ok, let's
just say it was a typo ;-)

panviman

You should now make it a point to not say, 'I make it a point not to
comment on....'

And, did you expect this English Professor (with 25+ years of teaching)
to be a perfect speller? Or even to care much?
Well, now you have your answer....

Troll on, dude...

Old January 20th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Stuart Hofmann

Lawrence wrote:

panviman wrote:

Lawrence wrote on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:40:40 +0700 (was 40 lines):

They kept media cameras at quiet a distance,

I make a point not to comment on spelling because I'm pretty worthless
at it, but in this case, weren't you an English professor? Ok, let's
just say it was a typo ;-)

panviman

You should now make it a point to not say, 'I make it a point not to
comment on....'

Uh-oh. You split your infinitive.

Old January 20th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Lawrence

Stuart Hofmann wrote:

Lawrence wrote:

panviman wrote:

Lawrence wrote on Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:40:40 +0700 (was 40 lines):

They kept media cameras at quiet a distance,

I make a point not to comment on spelling because I'm pretty worthless
at it, but in this case, weren't you an English professor? Ok, let's
just say it was a typo ;-)

panviman

You should now make it a point to not say, 'I make it a point not to
comment on....'

Uh-oh. You split your infinitive.

Ya' can't just win...

Old January 21st, 2004, 02:21 AM
Sonya

Hi tester... planning on doing this trip last week in March to first
week in April of this year.

"tester" wrote in message ...
What month do you plan to do this trip?
tester

Sonya wrote in message
om...
Hi, I'm planning a 10-day trip to Thailand (not enough time, I know...
but it's all I have at the moment), and hoping make the journey to
Siam Reap to see the majestic temples of Angkor Wat.

I know there's been much discussion on these groups about this trip,
and how pricey it is, and all the various options on how to get there.
Given my time constraints, though, air is the only way I see of making
it all fit in.

Other ideas we're considering:
-flying from US to Bangkok
-flying from Bangkok to Siam Reap, staying there for a few days
-air/train from Bangkok to Krabi
-sea canoeing, etc in Krabi
-renting a car and driving up to Bangkok for return flight to US

I'm looking for your advice on the trip.. what to do, what not to do,
where to stay, any cheap (but safe) ways on making it all happen, and
your experiences.

So, please share... it's been most helpful thus far.

Thanks,
Sonya

Old January 21st, 2004, 02:22 AM
Sonya

Hi Alfred,
Is there a direct flight from Siem Reap to Phuket? If so, I haven't
seen it anywhere... do you know where I might find this flight?

Thanks,
Sonya

Alfred Molon wrote in message tnews.com...
In article ,
says...

Other ideas we're considering:
-flying from US to Bangkok
-flying from Bangkok to Siam Reap, staying there for a few days
-air/train from Bangkok to Krabi

Try the direct flight from Siem Reap to Phuket. From there take a taxi
to Krabi.

-sea canoeing, etc in Krabi

... and rock climbing

-renting a car and driving up to Bangkok for return flight to US

Given the time constraint it's better to fly back.

See the travelogue of our trip to Siem Reap:
http://www.molon.de/galleries/Cambodia/Travelogue.htm

Old January 21st, 2004, 07:38 PM
Alfred Molon

In article ,
says...
Hi Alfred,
Is there a direct flight from Siem Reap to Phuket? If so, I haven't
seen it anywhere... do you know where I might find this flight?

I saw it offered in travel agencies in Krabi a couple of years ago. But
I'm not sure if it's a direct flight or a flight through BKK.
--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Austria, Budapest and
Portugal