Tourist visas for Indonesia

Old January 21st, 2004, 09:00 PM
EAC

Default Tourist visas for Indonesia

It will help to prevent a "portion" of their land from being turned into
foreign land with strange "practices" considered undesirable by locals
but tolerated by economic circumtances !

Well... Bali already felt more like a foreign land toward Indonesian.
Many Jakartans actually feel travelling to Singapore than Bali, it
feels more like home there.

Kris wrote in message . ..
Strange practices such as spending money and
supporting local businesses, yes.

Or organizing/creating chaos, bombings, riots, separatism movements,
and so on.

Yeah right, Indonesia need those things.

You think these things are all internal affairs? No, they're not. The
ones who organized the riots in May 1998 are the same ones who crashed
aircrafts in 11th September 2001. And the same terror tactics used
toward Indonesians after May 1998 are the same ones used toward
Americans (U.S.A.) after 11th September 2001, fear, fear, and fear.
It's a good thing that Indonesians are very adjustable people, I'm
sure that Americans are also as adaptable as their Indonesian cousins
(when I visit America, the Americans are really quite nice people,
very different in comparison of some of the bad things said about
them).

Indonesia wants to make it difficult for me to visit their country (I
wouldn't mind spending a few months in each region though IF their
visa policy were a little reasonable as I am sure there is lots of
neat stuff to see and do), well, fine.

Fine, so... no more squeaking from you about this new visa law, right?

It should be noted that you're from one of these countries below, then
you shouldn't be squeaking at all:

- Singapore

- Malaysia

- Thailand

- Brunei

- Phillipine

- Hong Kong

- Chili

- Morroco

- Turkey

- Peru

Kris

Old January 21st, 2004, 09:00 PM
EAC

"Dave Fossett" wrote in message ...
It's not just tourists from western nations;
the $25 instant visa applies to Japanese tourists too.

Yes, to all countries who did NOT give free visa to Indonesians, and
Japan is one of them.

The citizens of the countries below get free visa to Indonesia and
provide free visa to Indonesians:

- Singapore

- Malaysia

- Thailand

- Brunei

- Phillipine

- Hong Kong

- Chili

- Morroco

- Turkey

- Peru

It should be noted that the requirement for an Indonesian to get a
visa to Japan is much more stricter than a Japanese to get a visa to
Indonesia. The chances become almost nil if you're self-employed and
not invited to Japan, or can one write a letter of recommendation to
oneself about oneself?

I've just been told by my travel agent that it has to
be paid in dollars - not local currency.

That's because someone has been tampering with the Rupiah currency so
much that... even the government doesn't want to use the Rupiah for
foreign uses.

You do know that it's the same tactics used on the Germans (_ON_ the
Germans, NOT _BY_ the Germans) after World War I (a.k.a. the Great
War), devaluing the Deutschmark, this one of 'their' tactics to gain
control a country. But Indonesia is not German, so 'their' tactic
isn't effective.

Certainly a "great" way to attract
tourists back to Bali...

Bali = Indonesia. I don't think so, Indonesia is much more than Bali.
Just stick with what you're good at, Shinkansen. Like what if
Indonesia (a country much like Japan) can apply a Shinkansen-like
network, and so on.

Anyway. Many Indonesians actually don't like on how much Balinese (and
other locals) tourist workers become too focused on foreign tourists
that the domestic and regional tourists tend to get neglected.
Hopefully this new visa law will set some sense to them and realize a
guest is a guest, no matter where they came from. Hopefully domestic
and regional tourists will become more comfortable with Bali.

Bali is one of the Indonesian provinces that somehow unknowly and
unofficially got separated. But... In the same time, Singapore somehow
become an unofficial Indonesian provinces.

Anyway. The exit tax from Indonesia by air is Rp. 1.000.000,00 (around
U$120) and by sea is Rp. 500.000,00 (around U$60) is WAY more
expensive, and it applied to all who leave Indonesia, whether
foreigners or locals. It used to be Rp. 250.000,00 though, until
someone decided to devalue the Rupiah and 'reform' Indonesia.

Complaining about the new visa law will do no good, and will only
defame Indonesia and all of its related people (including the ones who
complained about the new visa law).

Here's a Japanese word that describe it nicely, DAME!

Anyway. It still cost more to get a Japan Rail Pass for a foreigner
than a Japanese to get a visa to Indonesia.
Old January 21st, 2004, 10:26 PM
Pete Loud

Can you provide us with a link?

Here is a link to an article in tomorrow's Jakarta Post.
http://www.thejakartapost.com/detail...121.A09&irec=8

Pete Loud
Maps of Indonesia (etc.)
http://users.powernet.co.uk/mkmarina...indonesia.html

Old January 22nd, 2004, 09:18 AM
Kris

Anyway. The exit tax from Indonesia by air is Rp. 1.000.000,00 (around
U$120) and by sea is Rp. 500.000,00 (around U$60)

Exit tax 120$ ??? You've got to be kidding. Are you serious??

Kris

Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:40 PM
Pete Loud

Anyway. The exit tax from Indonesia by air is Rp. 1.000.000,00 (around
U$120) and by sea is Rp. 500.000,00 (around U$60) is WAY more
expensive, and it applied to all who leave Indonesia, whether
foreigners or locals. It used to be Rp. 250.000,00

You are giving out some very confusing information here, unless there has
been a dramatic change which I've missed.

All people flying out of Indonesia have to pay an airport tax, I can't
remember the amount but, it might be around Rp 100,000 if flying from
Jakarta airport. I'm sure someone can give the correct amount.

People working there on some forms of visas/work permits have to make the
Fiscal payment when they leave. At one time this was Rp 250,000, I don't
know
the current figure, but Rp 1,000,000 would be about right. Has anyone got
the current figure?

This Fiscal payment did not apply to tourists, and I'd be amazed if it does
now.

My apologies for not being up to data with these figures, with all of these
visa problems I can't afford to go there nowadays ;-(

Another point, entry into Indonesia at Batam.
Previously the regulations for people entering Batam from Singapore were
different. Does anyone know if these new visa regulations apply to Batam?

Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:22 PM
RAK

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
EAC wrote:
Anyway. Many Indonesians actually don't like on how much Balinese (and
other locals) tourist workers become too focused on foreign tourists
that the domestic and regional tourists tend to get neglected.
Hopefully this new visa law will set some sense to them and realize a
guest is a guest, no matter where they came from. Hopefully domestic
and regional tourists will become more comfortable with Bali.

One of the big reasons that Indonesian tourists go to Bali is to hang out
with foreigners.

I never heard any of my Indonesian friends say they are going to Bali to
meet foreigners Miguel!
I am pretty sure they would regard that as a very funny reason to go there.
Generally they just want holidays away from Jakarta and other cities, just
like many other people.
More tend to go to Bali these days because foreign travel is so expensive
with the shrunken rupiah, increased fiscal tax, and difficulties & costs of
getting visas for non-Asean countries.

Roger (long term Indonesian resident)

Old January 22nd, 2004, 01:35 PM
RAK

"Pete Loud" wrote in message
[...]

You are right.
It is still Rp.1million (unless it has changed in the last few weeks), less
by sea (and maybe even less from Batam and Bintan?). It was 250,000 before
the 97-98 crisis and devalution, i.e. about the same in US$.
It applies to Indonesian residents, whether they are Indonesian or not,
except for Hadj pilgrims.
It does not apply to tourists.
Indonesians resident abroad are allowed a limited number of free trips.

Another point, entry into Indonesia at Batam.
Previously the regulations for people entering Batam from Singapore were
different. Does anyone know if these new visa regulations apply to Batam?

There has been no mention of exceptions for Batam as far as I know.
Most people doing that crossing are Singaporeans, Malaysians and Indonesians
who are not affected anyway.

Roger

Old January 22nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
Miguel Cruz

RAK wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" wrote:
One of the big reasons that Indonesian tourists go to Bali is to hang out
with foreigners.

I never heard any of my Indonesian friends say they are going to Bali to
meet foreigners Miguel! I am pretty sure they would regard that as a very
funny reason to go there.

Perhaps my perception is skewed by the fact that as a foreigner in Bali I
have frequently encountered the self-selected group of Indonesians who were
there to hang out with foreigners in Bali! But in any case there are plenty
- though I must admit I can't say anything about their proportion to the
total.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/