life after Windows....

Old March 28th, 2009, 07:09 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital
William Black

Default life after Windows....

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Chris H writes:

This is not completely true. Several systems I have (washing machine,
dish washer and ovens) can be updated. As can most cars.

What sorts of updates do you load into your washing machine and oven?

My central heating boiler had three updates.

I believe something to do with the combustion mixture and the various clever
sensors inside.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old March 28th, 2009, 07:21 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital
Roger Hunt

In article , Chris H
writes
In message , Roger Hunt
writes
In article , Chris H
writes
In message , Mxsmanic
writes

What sorts of updates do you load into your washing machine and oven?

I don't the service people do. Not often but they can had have done.

The mind boggles ...
Are these updates free?

Usually

Gosh! They've come on a bit from the one in my kitchen - the only thing
loaded is dirty washing.
--
Roger Hunt
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital
Mxsmanic

Chris H writes:

Commercial necessity and lack of discipline

It's hardly a commercial necessity, but it's definitely a very irresponsible
lack of discipline.

Usually they work because there are SW drivers supplied with them as
Window is an open architecture with defined interfaces.

Whatever the reason, it pleases users.

I don't the service people do. Not often but they can had have done.

I don't recall ever having that done to any of my appliances. I don't think
they have anything that is updatable anyway.
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:46 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital
Mxsmanic

Roger Hunt writes:

The mind boggles ...
Are these updates free?

No update is ever truly free.
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital
Roger Hunt

In article , Mxsmanic
writes
Roger Hunt writes:

The mind boggles ...
Are these updates free?

No update is ever truly free.

I think I get your drift and tend to agree.
--
Roger Hunt
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM posted to uk.politics.misc,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital
-hh

Mxsmanic wrote:
William Black writes:
That's like saying your car wouldn't need servicing and your washing machine
doesn't need a new motor now and again.

No. *Bugs are design defects, not things that wear out. *Motors and other
serviceable parts are things that wear out, not design defects.

How often do you have to replace your washing machine to resolve design
defects?

Of the washing machines that I've owned over the past 10 years....50%.

-hh