Carry-On Baggage in China

Old March 15th, 2007, 06:46 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Walt Bilofsky

Default Carry-On Baggage in China

Our tour information says that on flights within China we are allowed
one carry-on not to exceed 5 kilos. Our usual carry-ons weigh over 3
kilos empty!

Do they typically check carry-on weight and dimension limits on the
Chinese regional airlines? Will we be in a lot of trouble if they do
and we are over?
Old March 15th, 2007, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Mar 15, 11:46 am, Walt Bilofsky wrote:
Our tour information says that on flights within China we are allowed
one carry-on not to exceed 5 kilos. Our usual carry-ons weigh over 3
kilos empty!

Do they typically check carry-on weight and dimension limits on the
Chinese regional airlines? Will we be in a lot of trouble if they do
and we are over?

Your carry on weights 6 lbs empty?

I'd say don't worry about it, or consider getting a backpack or a
duffle bag.

Old March 16th, 2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Walt Bilofsky

Alfred Molon wrote:

In article ,
says...
Our tour information says that on flights within China we are allowed
one carry-on not to exceed 5 kilos. Our usual carry-ons weigh over 3
kilos empty!

Do they typically check carry-on weight and dimension limits on the
Chinese regional airlines? Will we be in a lot of trouble if they do
and we are over?

I've never heard of a 5Kg limit. Airlines in China never checked my
cabin luggae for all flights I did within China (quite a lot with
several airlines). I was carrying actually two bags, a backpack with the
notebook and a camera bag.

On the other hand, China Southern religiously enforces the 20Kg limit
for your luggage. You have to pay a surcharge which means that you get
out of the queue and have to queue at a luggage surcharge counter.
In one case, a China Southern employee even became rude when I told him
that there was no time to queue up at the luggage surcharge counter and
requeue again at the check-in counter because the plane was leaving
soon. The bag weighted 24Kg, 4 more than allowed. No other airline has
complained about such a small excessive weight.

Thanks, Alfred! Hearing someone's actual experience is really
helpful. We are taking China Southern on one leg.

Do you remember whether the surcharge was expensive? I had the
impression that it would not be very much.

- Walt
Old March 16th, 2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PTravel[_1_]

"Walt Bilofsky" wrote in message
Our tour information says that on flights within China we are allowed
one carry-on not to exceed 5 kilos. Our usual carry-ons weigh over 3
kilos empty!

Do they typically check carry-on weight and dimension limits on the
Chinese regional airlines? Will we be in a lot of trouble if they do
and we are over?

I've flown China Southern, Air China and China Eastern. My routine carry-on
kit for domestic China flights is a camera backpack that is stuffed to the
gills and, usually, a smaller, rolling computer bag. I've never had any
problems at all, and certainly never had my bags weighed. Air travel within
China is a relatively informal affair, particularly when it comes to things
like queuing up for check-in and boarding. I can't say that it never
happens, but I'd find it surprising if someone had any difficulty over an
overweight carry-on.