life after Windows....

Old March 27th, 2009, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.photo.digital,uk.politics.misc

Default life after Windows....

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

The vast majority of PCs can't do what I want to do. It
makes no difference if they run Windows, BEOS, or have
front panel switches to install whatever code you like.

You cite illogical emotionally charged factoids like
that one in every post you make.

I use Linux because it will do what I want done. You
buy Windows and claim whatever it does is "right". It's
bull****.

I have linux available for dual-boot on most of my computers
because there are things it does better than Windows. My son
has it on his PC, because one of his favorite games is
tux-racer. But just because I use it for certain functions
and just because you use it for certain functions, doesn't
change the fact that for the general population it is too
user unfriendly and too limited for it to be a good OS choice.
Would I set up a server running Windows? Not if I could help
it. Would I set up a desktop computer runing Linux for
someone who is not computer savvy? Again not likely. Each OS
has it's strengths and weaknesses, and as much as the Linux
gang disagrees, Linux has a weakness when it comes to
providing a user friendly desktop environment. It is ok on
the desktop if it is only needed for a set range of tasks
(eg a business doing wordprocessing or spreadsheeting), but
fails badly if it is to be used for the diverse range of
functions that a typical home computer would be subjected to.

--
Have you ever noticed that all legal documents need to be
completed in black or blue pen, but we vote in pencil?