Eurostar to Paris

Old April 20th, 2009, 07:09 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike O'Sullivan

Default Eurostar to Paris

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

It's worth booking in advance, whenever there
is a substantial fare saving to be made.

No- it's worth booking in advance whenever there is a substantial fare
saving to be made, _and_ when you can be flexible.

I've never done this, but what about of you're sick on the day, or
otherwise change your plans. Can you get a full refund?

Old April 20th, 2009, 07:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor[_2_]

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:

David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*) wrote:

It's worth booking in advance, whenever there
is a substantial fare saving to be made.

No- it's worth booking in advance whenever there is a substantial fare
saving to be made, _and_ when you can be flexible.

I've never done this, but what about of you're sick on the day, or
otherwise change your plans. Can you get a full refund?

Good question- I imagine no if you don't have insurance, but you're
usually offered the choice of fairly cheap insurance when you buy your
ticket, and I imagine if you took that out, you'd be covered. I believe
it would also cover you for costs of running late (e.g. if you miss a
concert you had tickets for etc.)

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
JuanElorza[_4_]

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 07:29:44 +0100, David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)
wroteÂ*:

I've never done this, but what about of you're sick on the day, or
otherwise change your plans. Can you get a full refund?

Train reservation systems will offer you both cheap non refundable
tickets and more expensive exchangeable refundable tickets.
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
congokid

In article , Spencer
writes

Thanks all. Lots of comments, some well worthwhile.

As others have said, booking as far in advance as possible might give
you big savings. The amount might depend on how popular your time of
travel is, for example, a weekend or public holiday. I once looked at
Eurostar fares for the following morning - the cheapest return fare from
London to Paris I could find was about UKP350 per person, and flights
were about the same. But just now I've checked fares for tomorrow for
around the time you're thinking of, and the return fare per person is
UKP160.
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:46 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
congokid

In article , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes

stations have plenty of machines. (Indeed, I often wonder why people
queue and assume they have particular questions about tickets, etc.)

I find that the queues for the ticket machines move more slowly than
that for the ticket office windows - at least at Marylebone Station.
Here there's one queue per machine, and if you join a queue that turns
slow it's difficult to move to a faster one, whereas there are often 3-5
staff on hand at the ticket office.

I think slightly different systems operate at other stations. Victoria
is similar to above, but at Kings Cross isn't there a single queue for
all the ticket machines?
Old April 20th, 2009, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote :

I've never done this, but what about of you're sick on the day, or
otherwise change your plans. Can you get a full refund?

Train reservation systems will offer you both cheap non refundable
tickets and more expensive exchangeable refundable tickets.

David's question is as applicable to cut price air fares.

It wasn't my question!

Old April 20th, 2009, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

congokid wrote:

In article , "David Horne,
_the_ chancellor (*)" writes

stations have plenty of machines. (Indeed, I often wonder why people
queue and assume they have particular questions about tickets, etc.)

I find that the queues for the ticket machines move more slowly than
that for the ticket office windows - at least at Marylebone Station.

If so, it makes sense to use the ticket window, but I'm talking about
stations where the opposite is the case.

Old April 20th, 2009, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
aquachimp

On Apr 18, 11:44*pm, Spencer wrote:
Hi
I plan to travel from London to Paris on a Sunday in September. I will
arrive in London, ex Oxford, about 11am and see there are Eurostar
trains at 12.02, 12.29 and 13.00. I wonder if is necessary to book in
advance or just get to St Pancras as quickly as possible and buy a
ticket then? Are there any cost advantages either way?
Any comments will be appreciated.
Akarana

I've got an add question to this one.

I note that if you travel to or from any train station in Belgium, the
ES ticket price will be inclusive of the train to get to and from
Brussels.
So, if you travel to Belgium, arrive in Brussels, you can then
continue onto, say, Brugge, without paying extra.
It would be like being able to go from Oxford to London and off to
Brussels with an all in one ticket, except off course in reality you
can't.

What I would like to know is does the same deal go when travelling to
France
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sheila Page

In message
,
aquachimp writes
[...]