SeaDream Yacht Club

Old February 8th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Linda Coffman

Default SeaDream Yacht Club

My husband and I enjoyed a Caribbean cruise on SeaDream II last month (7
nights round-trip from St. Thomas).

We've been on dozens of cruises, but SeaDream is truly a unique experience.
Anyone looking for the very BEST in service and food should consider a
SeaDream sailing. With only 71 guests on our cruise, we were outnumbered by
crew/staff. The captain made a point of emphasizing that his staff knows
every passenger's name by the morning after boarding, even when the ship
carries a full complement of 110 passengers (double occupancy) or more. They
did! Not only that, but I asked a single bartender to add a bit more
cranberry juice to my Cosmopolitan the first day on board and never had to
mention it again... EVERY bartender knew my preference! Amazing
communication!!!

One photo my husband took shows passengers lined up to reboard two
mega-ships in Antigua (the line was actually longer than his lens could
capture) versus no one lined up to reboard SeaDream. We never had to wait
for anything. And the shore tender... well, when was the last time you saw a
shore tender with teak trim and cushioned seats?!?

An extremely impressive detail was that we were asked to hold out our hands
whenever we reboarded the vessel to get a dollop of anti-bacterial waterless
hand cleaner as a noro-virus preventative.

Our review is at http://cruisediva.com/seadreamII_diary.htm

Fares are high, but everything is included except shore excursions. Hope you
enjoy the review!

Best, Linda

Old February 8th, 2004, 04:10 AM
OcnGypZ

Subject: SeaDream Yacht Club

Hi Linda!

So nice.. Mel.. finally got to go along.. LOL.

Okay.. which do you think was better Silverseas.. or SeaDream????

Babette

Old February 8th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Linda Coffman

LOL! We were on SeaDream II during the week of Jan. 18-25. Did we just miss
you?!?

Linda

"CupCaked" wrote in message...
Linds, don't tell me Mel and you were on the Sea Dream II that we
followed to several ports last week! Hans and I would have waved :-)

Old February 8th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Linda Coffman

Better of the two? Well, they are both wonderful in their own way.

I have to give the edge to Silversea for accommodations, but SeaDream has
service and food that is out of this world. Very few ships can compete with
them along those lines, but very few ships are 4260 GRT and carry only 110
passengers.

NO other ship has a head waiter that looks like Pierce Brosnin (Bond, James
Bond)... I still swoon just thinking of him. LOL!

Linda

Old February 8th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Paul

Linda,

I've sailed the SeaDream ships under the Seabourn banner when they were the
Sea Goddess twins.

While I agree with you assessment, please remember that most of the readers
here would not enjoy the SeaDream experience for the following reasons:

1. No tanzanite
2. No watch sales
3. No art auctions
4. No lines
5. No crowds
6. No bad service
7. No keno
8. No horse racing
9. No pool games

etc. etc.

The people here believe that cruising means getting on overcrowded and
understaffed ships with poor service and visiting overcrowded ports that are
tourist traps. Although they were told that cruising is an "almost
all-inclusive" vacation, they expect to stand in long lines and pay extra
for virtually everything (even decent food) is important.

No, I don't see these people on SeaDream. Hell, there's not even a disco to
get drunk in!

Paul

Old February 9th, 2004, 05:17 PM
brenda

Sounds wonderful - I just wish they had verandas - I've gotta have
one. How did their rates compare w/ SS?
Old February 9th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Linda Coffman

"brenda" wrote in message...
Sounds wonderful - I just wish they had verandas - I've gotta have
one. How did their rates compare w/ SS?

It's really hard to compare the rates... the itineraries are so different
and Silversea tends to offer longer sailings. Silversea has some 30-50%
Caribbean cruises on Silver Wind that have attractively priced verandah
suites with daily per diems less than our SeaDream cruise. On such a small
ship, we didn't miss having a verandah on SD II.

While both are luxury cruise lines, it's hard to draw a comparison because
the on board experiences are so different. SS is more formal with
traditional shipboard activities. SD stresses a 'yacht' ambiance--more like
an all-inclusive, more elegant Windstar without sails. Very relaxed
atmosphere.

Linda