ground transportation at Key West

Old September 22nd, 2004, 01:30 PM
bitbucket

Default ground transportation at Key West

my wife and i are flying into Key West in mid-October. we already have a
hotel. i've only driven to Key West before -- never flown -- and wonder if
catching a cab to our hotel is likely be relatively pain-free.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:18 AM
Brian K

On 09/22/2004 8:30 AM bitbucket plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and
said:

my wife and i are flying into Key West in mid-October. we already have a
hotel. i've only driven to Key West before -- never flown -- and wonder if
catching a cab to our hotel is likely be relatively pain-free.

The Flamingo Pink Five Sixes cabs will let you share-fare with someone
else going to the same or nearby hotel. I like the Five Sixes. Aside
from fare sharing, the drivers generally have a friendly "island"
attitude but are punctual at the same time. The Canary Yellow cabs are
ok, but the drivers are a little more distant. It shouldn't cost more
than $7.00 - $ 12.00 depending on if you fare-share and the distance
from the Airport.

I love this airport, it doesn't matter what time or what carrier you
fly, all flights arrive and depart from Gate 1. There isn't any other
gate! :-D

If your hotel doesn't provide bikes, you can rent them from Conch
Express. They will deliver your rental bike right to your hotel. It's
the best way to get around town, and safer than motor scooter. Fausto's
is the place to pick up gourmet snacks, and that last minute Lladro
figurine as a gift for the wedding you just got invited to.

A&B Lobster House, Turtle Kraals, Hogs Breath, Bo's Fishwagon, Half
Shell Raw Bar are all good for seafood. There's even a deli on Truman
and Simonton Sts that does a good catch of the day. Iguana Cafe for 24
hour munchies has it's good phases and it's bad ones. When it's good
it's really good, when it's bad it'll put you off the place for good.
Sunday Brunch is the best time to do Blue Heaven in the Bahama Village.
It's also the best time to do Louie's Backyard. Best burgers can be
had at Kelly's Bar & Grill on Whitehead St. It's a good place to do
lunch after touring the historic homes on Whitehead Street. Go down to
the Southernmost Point and work your way back.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:35 PM
Peter Krynicki

said:

[...]

You should check. Some places, e.g., the Casa Marina, still run a free
pick-up/leave-off service from the airport. There is a lighted board
at the airport with a telephone where you can dial a hotel. Otherwise,
it's between $12.00 / $15.00 to almost anyplace on the island.

All of the above are good, esp. Blue Heavan. To avoid the crowds go
there for a late lunch about 2:00 and try the blackened grouper
platter and a Kalick beer. Other good places are Kelley's on Simonton
for happy hour from 4:00 - 7:00 for margueritas (2.50) or a micro brew
(1.50). And El Meson de Pepe on Wall Street for a mohito and an order
of masitas. And the Sands beach Club all the way south on Simonton. (I
mean ALL THE WAY). They have the best bloody marys and a great menu.

hth
Pjk

Old September 24th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Brian K

said:

[...]

Isn't Kelly's Bar, Grill and Microbrewery on Whitehead St. in the old
Pan Am Terminal building? It's been a little while since I've been in
town. Did Kelly's move?

--
________

Old September 25th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Peter Krynicki

Twanger and said:

Isn't Kelly's Bar, Grill and Microbrewery on Whitehead St. in the old
Pan Am Terminal building? It's been a little while since I've been in
town. Did Kelly's move?

Brian - Yes, it's still there but in the back of my mind I think
Kelley McGillis sold her share in it. If anyone goes, be sure to look
at the photos on the walls inside the bar. They are mostly of airplane
wrecks instead of he usual photos of sunsets and celebrities.) You may
have been confused because a coupla years ago she/they opened a second
place on the other side of the island where you can sit almost on the
southernmost beach and have a nice breakfast or an afternoon drink.

The man in charge of the Pan am business in Key West, Grant Mason,
became friend with Hemingway. Hemingway lived just 4 - 5 blocks south
on Whitehead. There is the rumor that he and Mrs. Grant had an affair,
but I tend to doubt it.

I'm off to Key West for the week of Thanksgiving for maybe the 10th
time.

hth
Pjk