Travel to Canada via Cruise Ship

Old May 10th, 2009, 10:07 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

Default Travel to Canada via Cruise Ship

On Sun, 10 May 2009 13:06:30 -0700, "John Sisker"
wrote:

For the short answer, a passport is required.

Hi Everyone,

John has given incorrect information in his answer. As a matter of
clarification although it is recommended that an US citizen have a
passport, it is not required if the passenger is doing a round trip
from the same U.S. city such as the original poster stated from
Seattle returning to Seattle. Cruises leaving Seattle that return to
Seattle are considered "closed loop cruises". If a passenger were to
have to leave the cruise early and fly back to the US, then a passport
would be required but not if he just traveled to/from the same US city
by cruise ship. He would still be required to have the government
issued photo ID and certified copy of their birth certificate.

Here is a quote from the U.S. State Department's web site. I
capitalized the part regarding closed loop cruises.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1082.html

All Americans traveling by air outside of the United States are
required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter
the United States. This requirement will be extended to sea travel
(EXCEPT CLOSED-LOOP CRUISES)

Various cruise lines word this "closed-loop cruises:" exception in
various ways. Here is how NCL words it:

As of June 1st, 2009:

"For sailings that depart from and return to the same U.S. port, you
need a valid passport or proof of citizenship and a valid
government-issued photo I.D. (driver's license with a photo), or any
other WHTI compliant document. Proof of Citizenship examples include:
an original or state certified copy of a U.S. or Canadian birth
certificate, certificate of U.S. naturalization, original certificate
of U.S. citizenship, or a U.S. Consular report of your birth abroad.

For open-jaw sailings (cruises that depart from one U.S. port and
return to a different U.S. port), you are required to carry a valid
passport, U.S. passport card or Enhanced Drivers License, as well as
have in your possession all relative visas that pertain to your travel
itinerary. Permanent residents of the U.S. are required to carry their
valid ARC cards for boarding AND passport from their country of
citizenship, if available.

Note: If you miss your ship at its scheduled U.S. departure port and
need to travel outside the U.S. to meet your ship, or should you
unexpectedly need to depart the ship from a foreign port prior to the
end of sailing, a passport would be required to leave or re-enter the
U.S. by air. To that end, NCL strongly recommends all guests to obtain
a passport for their voyage on any NCL vessel."

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

While Ray does have the currently correct answer to the specific question,
giving poor information on a technically is not always the best advice. On a
cruise we just booked from Vancouver to Los Angeles, including one-way air
to Vancouver, even the cruise line said a passport is required. While a
cruise from a U.S. Port back to the U.S. Port, even via Canada, does not
technically require a passport per se. However, proof of citizenship
(certified copy of birth certificate) and a valid government issued photo id
are still required. There are so many variables and things that could go
wrong; our advice to our clients is to anyway carry a passport anyway. Why
take changes on a simple technically. That would be like driving into Mexico
without the proper car insurance, hoping you don't have an accident.

Be wise and be safe.

Happy sailing...
John Sisker - SHIP-TO-SHORE CRUISE AGENCY®
(714) 536-3850 or toll-free at (800) 724-6644 & (Agency ID: 714.536.3850)
www.shiptoshorecruise.com

Old May 11th, 2009, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Ray Goldenberg
wrote:

John has given incorrect information in his answer.

Not a surprise. Sisker the pretend travel agent has made a habit of
giving out incorrect info. If he actually has any clients I feel sorry
for them. Probably he only sells to himself or relatives who feel sorry
for him.

Thank you for posting the correct info Ray. Congratulations on the new
grandchild.

--
Charles
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
John Sisker John Sisker is offline
Banned

But this is what you're suppose to say. You're a good shill Charles... but
nothing more.

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:01 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

Ray, welcome back! I hope your travels were good, but more, I hope you
are okay. We got a hint of the fire scare you suffered--please let us
know how things turned out.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

Old May 11th, 2009, 04:05 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

On May 10, 1:26*am, Goomba wrote:
Bill wrote:
A survey last year in Texas showed that, outside of Mexico, only about
20% of Texans had ever left the US for leisure.

And yet folks like you keep asking why people don't just go out and
spend $100 for a passport, which most will have no other use for.

Bill

Yeah, but once they get a taste of travel, how many do it again and
again.....? How're gonna keep 'em down on the farm?

Love it, Goomba! That's the spirit!

Diana Ball
Austin, TX --- While Austin is full of travelers, 'tis true, there
are a lot of Texans who are content to stay on the farm.
Old May 11th, 2009, 04:19 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Goomba :

Bill wrote:

A survey last year in Texas showed that, outside of Mexico, only about
20% of Texans had ever left the US for leisure.

And yet folks like you keep asking why people don't just go out and
spend $100 for a passport, which most will have no other use for.

Bill

Yeah, but once they get a taste of travel, how many do it again and
again.....? How're gonna keep 'em down on the farm?

Beat me to the punchline.

How can one buy a ticket on Monday and leave for Australia the
following Sunday without a passport?

--

- dillon I am not invalid

The RMS Titanic sank on April 15th. US income taxes
are due on April 15th. Coincidence? I think not.

Old May 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ray Goldenberg Ray Goldenberg is offline
Banned

On Sun, 10 May 2009 20:01:08 -0700 (PDT), D Ball
wrote:

Ray, welcome back! I hope your travels were good, but more, I hope you
are okay. We got a hint of the fire scare you suffered--please let us
know how things turned out.

Diana Ball
Austin, TX

Hi Diana,

We very much enjoyed our trips to London and river cruise in Holland
and Belgium. I think the entire group was blown away by the beauty
and history of the region. I know I was and the wonderful food was
not to be missed. Can you say Belgium waffles with strawberries and
chocolate? :+) The Tulips at the Keukenhof Gardens were spectacular
this year.
http://www.keukenhof.nl/index/en/
The AMA Waterways River Cruise was 2nd to none.
http://www.amawaterways.com/itinerary.asp?iticode=AA09
I did not hear one complaint from the group. It is always fun to be
with a group with no complaints. g London could have cooperated with
better weather but London is always London, a great place rain or
shine.
We did have to evacuate some relatives due to the fire but they all
are safe and back in their homes now. The fire did not get any closer
than about 6-miles to our home but unfortunately we have friends who
were not so fortunate and did lose their homes. We are doing all we
can to assist them.

Old May 12th, 2009, 01:52 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
D Ball[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

I am glad you and your relatives escaped damage, but am so sorry for
your friends' losses. That is tragic. I think natural disaster is one
of those things we never think will happen to us.

I hope you'll put together some form of trip report! The European
river cruises sound wonderful to me--it would be interesting to read
about AMA Waterways. I love the Netherlands, but have never made it
over at the height of tulip season--lucky you!

Diana
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Susette

wrote:
[...]

Very sorry to hear about your friends...
I have a client in NC that was touch and go with the Fires down there
it came 1/4 mile to his home he kept sprinkling his house he said
the smoke made it so you could not see at all.

I have been hearing alot of GREAT things from AMA waterways glad to
hear you confirm that