Village to village hiking - Czech Republic

Old April 26th, 2004, 10:37 PM
fred

Default Village to village hiking - Czech Republic

I've been looking for information on hiking in the Czech Republic and
thought I had found the perfect answer for us. We like to hike from
village to village and the Czech Greenways sounded ideal. They pass
through Bohemia and Moravia in rolling countryside, forests, fields
and vineyards. They were started from 100 year old walking trails and
have been waymarked lately to connect cultural sites/towns from Prague
to Vienna.

I'm beginning to worry that they may be concentrating more on the
cultural sites than the countryside. We'd like to find a good area for
3-4 days of hiking from town to town like we have in the UK, Ireland
and France - small towns with paths connecting them through farmland,
forests and not too much road walking.

I plan on trying to find some more information when we arrive in the
Czech Republic, but was hoping to know a little more than I do now.
Has anyone done this and can make any recommendations or give any
suggestions? We'd sure appreciate it - thanks.
Old April 27th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Marc

I have not done it myself. But I have become familiar with the Cesky
Krumlov area and think it would be ideal for you.
The country side is beautiful, there are lots of spots for swimming in
rivers, lakes and ponds. The country side is dotted with Historical and
archeological sites. There are many well marked hiking trails and many
villages within easy hiking distance of each other.

http://www.ckrumlov.cz/uk/atlas/i_region.htm

These people have hiking maps of the area
http://www.ckrumlov.cz/uk/mesto/soucas/i_icko.htm

--
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." Samuel Johnson

Marc
om...