for newbies, some assistance in choosing a cruise line

Old November 7th, 2003, 11:47 PM
OcnGypZ

Default for newbies, some assistance in choosing a cruise line

Now... all we need to do is get the 401K back up and college
scholarships for both Jonathan and Lara and maybe we can consider
Crystal.

Watch Crystal's sales...... when you break the fares down to per diem.. they
are not that much more expensive than Celebrity.

Babette
Old November 7th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Howard Garland

3rd time cruiser wrote:

Lost the reply. Sorry!

Thanks, Eileen, for the link. It is informative. But, I want to add something
to this ...

Cabin size is a big thing. (Size is everything?)

I agree, 3rd timer; when it comes to cruisin (at sea or on land), size
definitely counts.

Howard

Old November 7th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Tom & Linda

It's not the per diem that gets you. It's the per 14 diems vs. 7
diems. Lots of Crystal sailings are longer... and open jaw sailings.
At least when I've checked (albeit some time ago).

--Tom

Old November 8th, 2003, 12:47 AM
Mason Barge

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 20:42:18 GMT, Tom & Linda
wrote:

But it missed Princess.

--Tom

Mine didn't give Princess, either.

I imagine you got Crystal first because you picked "most elegant".

It nailed me btw.

Mason Barge

"If this is coffee, please bring me some tea. If this is tea, please bring me some coffee."
-- Abraham Lincoln
Old November 8th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Jenrose

"Eileen Garland" wrote in message

I came across a tool that might be helpful to newbies in choosing a
cruiseline:

http://www.02cruise.com/LineSearch/index.asp

It picked the line we booked on.... g

Jenrose

Old November 8th, 2003, 04:20 AM
Candy

It put us on HAL... our favorite.

Candy -- can't get over how great the Zui was

Old November 8th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Linsifer

This is what came up for me:

Top Cruise Line Picks. The Cruise Wizard suggests 3 cruise lines as the
closest match for your preferences. Click on the cruise line name to see
additional detail about the line and to search for itineraries for that cruise
line:

Holland America - A premium, elegant, sophisticated large-ship cruise
experience

Celebrity Cruises - Contemporary, classy mid-size ships with gourmet cuisine
and premium service

Princess Cruises - Upscale but active premium Grand Class cruising on large
ships

------

Other Cruise Line Possibilities. Although not quite as close a match for the
preferences you indicated, the Cruise Wizard also thinks you might want to
consider these cruise lines. Click on the cruise line name for more detail and
to search for itineraries on that cruise line:

Orient Lines - Off-the-beaten-track cruises to all seven continents, at fair
prices

Norwegian Cruise Line - Activity-filled cruises with good food, entertainment,
and value-oriented prices

Crystal - The ultimate six-star luxury on beautiful 1,000-passenger ships

Old November 8th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Queen of Cruising

On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 00:47:50 GMT, Mason Barge
wrote:

It nailed me btw.

Mason Barge

Congrats. It's been decades, hasn't it Jar?
Old November 8th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Arthur

Eileen Garland wrote:

I came across a tool that might be helpful to newbies in choosing a
cruiseline:

http://www.02cruise.com/LineSearch/index.asp

I tried a few different choices and it seemed to come up with selections
that match the conventional wisdom seen here on r.t.c. I'd be
interested to hear what you oldbies think.

Eileen

Works for me, Eileen. I got HAL, Celebrity, Princess (in that order)
with Orient, NCL and Cunard (in that order) as other possibilities.

BTW, our first two cruises ever were Coral Princess and HAL Volendam . .
.. and the third (which we had to cancel due to illness) was to have been
Celebrity Mercury.

--
You'll have to drop my opinion of the Yanks if you want to e-mail me.