Strange experience on teh Carnival Legend

Old May 31st, 2004, 12:00 AM
Bchbound

Default Strange experience on teh Carnival Legend

Hi,

We sailed the Carnival Legend out of NYC on 5/7. Overall we had a bunch
of fun. We actually had a great time. There was one strange thing that
happened though.

After a day in St Thomas we got back to the ship about 5pm. The ship
sailed at 6pm and our dinner seating was 8pm. We got back to our 11C
cabin, which was upgraded from a 8G, Thank you Carnival, and dropped our
stuff off and wentout on the bacloncy to watch our departure. It was
great and the weather was beautiful. All was fine until about 7pm when we
decided to shower and get ready for dinner.

You can imagine the surprise when my wife got into the shower, set the
temp and switched the control to shower. The water started shooting
directly at the ceiling and spraying around the entire room. For some
reason, which we never found out, someone had removed the shower head
leaving just the end of the hose sitting in the bracket pointing at the
ceiling.

Well I called the number that was supposed to be the number of our room
steward but, as it always turned out it was his voice mail number. On
this particular evening we got forwarded to room service. They never
picked up.

Eventually, as dinner seating approached we managed to take turns
bathing, very carefully, with the water shooting out of the hose end. It
was not fun and we had to practically lay in the tub to wash off (one at
a time).

Anyway I left a voice mail message, a note in the room, and told an
employee we saw cleaning the elevators. When we got back to our cabin
after dinner the shower head was back in place. No explanation was given
to as why this happend (I am guessing that the person cleaning the shower
dropped it and it broke, they are plastic) I dont believe there is any
excuse for this incident. I would have spoke to the cabin steward about
it but even at the end of our 8 night cruise I still had no idea who that
person was. Never saw him, dont even know his name.

Bchbound
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:19 AM
Bob Davis

You bring up two very interesting points, both of which I also experienced
recently on the Carnival Inspiration:

1) The phone number for the room stewards is frequently unanswered, and
leaving a message or a page doesn't seem to work.

Several members of our 16 person party reported the same thing.

2) Apparently stewards no longer have to introduce themselves.

We, too, never met our steward on a week-long cruise.

Old May 31st, 2004, 12:27 AM
Charles

In article , Bchbound
wrote:

I would have spoke to the cabin steward about it but even at the end
of our 8 night cruise I still had no idea who that person was. Never
saw him, dont even know his name.

That is even stranger than the missing shower head.

--
Charles
Old May 31st, 2004, 12:35 AM
I Caramba

"Bchbound" wrote in message
Well I called the number that was supposed to be the number of our room
steward but, as it always turned out it was his voice mail number. On
this particular evening we got forwarded to room service. They never
picked up.

We called the Purser's Desk when we had plumbing problems on the Miracle.
It was fixed within 10 minutes.

Old May 31st, 2004, 12:36 AM
Charles

In article , Bob Davis
wrote:

1) The phone number for the room stewards is frequently unanswered, and
leaving a message or a page doesn't seem to work.

Have not been on Carnival but my experience is that the stewards are
only available certain hours. At other times you call either
houskeeping or the pursers desk.

2) Apparently stewards no longer have to introduce themselves.

We, too, never met our steward on a week-long cruise.

Surprising. I think I did read somewhere that some cruise line, no
longer has stewards assigned to specific cabins. Maybe it was Carnival?

--
Charles
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:09 AM
Thomas Smith

It sounds like your shower was broken during the morning cleaning. They
were probably going to replace it that evening. On my Carnival cruises,
I've discovered that there is a range of times you can page your cabin
steward, generally from 8:00 am to noon, and 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm, plus or
minus a couple hours, plus on embarkation day before the lifeboat drill.
When I've paged my steward during those hours, I've never had to wait more
than five minutes for my cabin steward to respond.

On my previous cruises, the cabin steward would try to come by just after I
boarded the ship to see if everything was all right. After that, they did
their best to learn my schedule and try to be as invisible as possible while
still cleaning my room.

As for your shower emergency, you could have called the purser's/information
desk or gone to the gym and taken a shower. While the latter option isn't
ideal, it is still an option.

Tom Smith

Old May 31st, 2004, 01:25 AM
pat

2) Apparently stewards no longer have to introduce themself

I would say if they dont have to introduce themself to you i dont think they
deserve much a a tip.....i think the nicer the steward is to a person the more
tip they would receive... even tho tips are automatic i always give a little
more at end of cruise if warrented.... chattie

Old May 31st, 2004, 01:35 AM
Tom & Linda

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , Bob Davis
wrote:

1) The phone number for the room stewards is frequently unanswered, and
leaving a message or a page doesn't seem to work.

Have not been on Carnival but my experience is that the stewards are
only available certain hours. At other times you call either
houskeeping or the pursers desk.

2) Apparently stewards no longer have to introduce themselves.

We, too, never met our steward on a week-long cruise.

Surprising. I think I did read somewhere that some cruise line, no
longer has stewards assigned to specific cabins. Maybe it was Carnival?

That has a lot of opportunity for major inconsistency.

I hope that concept doesn't spread industry wide.

I prefer the same waiter with traditional dining all week, and I would
prefer the same cabin steward all week.

--Tom

Old May 31st, 2004, 01:36 AM
Charles

In article , pat
wrote:

I would say if they dont have to introduce themself to you i dont think they
deserve much a a tip.....i think the nicer the steward is to a person the more
tip they would receive... even tho tips are automatic i always give a little
more at end of cruise if warrented....

I don't care much if they are nice. What I care about most is if they
do their job. However it does make sense, and should be part of their
job for them to introduce themselves at the begining because there
might be some special requests or questions of one sort or another.

--
Charles
Old May 31st, 2004, 01:40 AM
Tom & Linda

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
In article , pat
wrote:

I would say if they dont have to introduce themself to you i dont think

they
deserve much a a tip.....i think the nicer the steward is to a person

the more
tip they would receive... even tho tips are automatic i always give a

little
more at end of cruise if warrented....

I don't care much if they are nice. What I care about most is if they
do their job. However it does make sense, and should be part of their
job for them to introduce themselves at the begining because there
might be some special requests or questions of one sort or another.

You could easily run into confusion over things like extra towels that you
might be charged for, etc.

It seems a concept with opportunities for problems.

--Tom