Strange experience on teh Carnival Legend

Old May 31st, 2004, 01:56 AM
Charles

Default Strange experience on teh Carnival Legend

In article , Tom &
Linda wrote:

I hope that concept doesn't spread industry wide

I hope not. You could see how the concept might save the cruise line
money. An experienced steward can probably finish their cabins faster
and finish their work early while less experienced or less skilled
stewards take the whole alloted work time. If there are no assigned
cabins, and a "factory system" they can might make do with less
stewards.

--
Charles
Old May 31st, 2004, 02:10 AM
Tobie Gerbrandt

On our latest cruise (on the Carnival Spirit) we had probably the BEST room
steward we have ever had. I don't remember her name because it was totally
strange to me, but she introduced herself on the first day and told us what
hours they work, etc. We saw her often during the cruise and she did a
wonderful job. We soon learned where everything she moved every day would
be even if we left the room untidy.

Speaking of showerheads, one day she told me that the shower would be out of
service for 2 hours 8:00 to 10:00 AM. Barb saw her during that time in the
hall and she had about 10 showerheads in a bucket in the hallway. I don't
know if they were replacing all the showerheads in that section, or they
were just cleaning them (with CLR, or some similar product) but when we
returned to the room after lunch the showerhead was back.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM wrote in message
It sounds like your shower was broken during the morning cleaning. They
were probably going to replace it that evening. On my Carnival cruises,
I've discovered that there is a range of times you can page your cabin
steward, generally from 8:00 am to noon, and 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm, plus or
minus a couple hours, plus on embarkation day before the lifeboat drill.
When I've paged my steward during those hours, I've never had to wait more
than five minutes for my cabin steward to respond.

On my previous cruises, the cabin steward would try to come by just after

boarded the ship to see if everything was all right. After that, they did
their best to learn my schedule and try to be as invisible as possible

while
still cleaning my room.

As for your shower emergency, you could have called the

purser's/information
desk or gone to the gym and taken a shower. While the latter option isn't
ideal, it is still an option.

Tom Smith

"Bchbound" wrote in message
Hi,

We sailed the Carnival Legend out of NYC on 5/7. Overall we had a bunch
of fun. We actually had a great time. There was one strange thing that
happened though.

After a day in St Thomas we got back to the ship about 5pm. The ship
sailed at 6pm and our dinner seating was 8pm. We got back to our 11C
cabin, which was upgraded from a 8G, Thank you Carnival, and dropped our
stuff off and wentout on the bacloncy to watch our departure. It was
great and the weather was beautiful. All was fine until about 7pm when

we
decided to shower and get ready for dinner.

You can imagine the surprise when my wife got into the shower, set the
temp and switched the control to shower. The water started shooting
directly at the ceiling and spraying around the entire room. For some
reason, which we never found out, someone had removed the shower head
leaving just the end of the hose sitting in the bracket pointing at the
ceiling.

Well I called the number that was supposed to be the number of our room
steward but, as it always turned out it was his voice mail number. On
this particular evening we got forwarded to room service. They never
picked up.

Eventually, as dinner seating approached we managed to take turns
bathing, very carefully, with the water shooting out of the hose end. It
was not fun and we had to practically lay in the tub to wash off (one at
a time).

Anyway I left a voice mail message, a note in the room, and told an
employee we saw cleaning the elevators. When we got back to our cabin
after dinner the shower head was back in place. No explanation was given
to as why this happend (I am guessing that the person cleaning the

shower
dropped it and it broke, they are plastic) I dont believe there is any
excuse for this incident. I would have spoke to the cabin steward about
it but even at the end of our 8 night cruise I still had no idea who

that
person was. Never saw him, dont even know his name.

Bchbound

Old May 31st, 2004, 02:13 AM
Howie

Bchbound wrote:

Hi,

We sailed the Carnival Legend out of NYC on 5/7. Overall we had a bunch
of fun. We actually had a great time.

Wonderful. The Legend is a great ship.

There was one strange thing that
happened though.

[snipped]

excuse for this incident. I would have spoke to the cabin steward about
it but even at the end of our 8 night cruise I still had no idea who that
person was. Never saw him, dont even know his name.

Sorry about your shower problems; however, I am more interested in the
fact that you never saw your steward. You were in a Cat 11 suite, is
that correct?

That's really odd. I've been on many Carnival cruises, and been on the
Legend for 4 cruises. Always have had great stewards on Carnival, and
they have always introduced themselves. Never been in a suite on
Carnival, but I would expect the cabin stewards to be particularly
attentive to suite passengers.

Howie

Old May 31st, 2004, 03:57 AM
OcnGypZ

Subject: Strange experience on teh Carnival Legend

Our cabin attendant on the Legend was quite visible.. quite friendly... and did
a terrific job. She started with Ren.. then after they folded she went to
Island Cruises (RCL's joint venture with the UK company)... she jumped for joy
when Carnival hired her.
Her brother, a waiter, has been with Crystal since the line started.

You can't judge all cabin attendants.. just by one.

Babette
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:05 AM

Charles wrote:

In article , Bob Davis
wrote:

1) The phone number for the room stewards is frequently unanswered, and
leaving a message or a page doesn't seem to work.

Have not been on Carnival but my experience is that the stewards are
only available certain hours. At other times you call either
houskeeping or the pursers desk.

2) Apparently stewards no longer have to introduce themselves.

We, too, never met our steward on a week-long cruise.

Surprising. I think I did read somewhere that some cruise line, no
longer has stewards assigned to specific cabins. Maybe it was Carnival?

--
Charles

Recently cruised Carnival Conquest. We had a regular steward, and he
had an assistant as well. I saw them both, and we had pleasant
conversations, several times each day, as they always seemed busy
cleaning or otherwise taking care of "their" rooms.

One time I rang his extension, and though he didn't answer, within a
couple of minutes he was knocking on the door, to ask what he could do
for me. (One robe as missing at the start of the cruise.) When we
returned to the room that evening, the second robe was in its proper
place.

Stranger
Old May 31st, 2004, 04:14 AM
Dick Goldhaber

The next time that you cruise please be aware that this kind of problem is
solved by calling Housekeeping. That is what your cabin steward will do.

Eliminate the middle man.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ
ospam

Old May 31st, 2004, 04:20 AM
Dick Goldhaber

Charles,

I haven't been on a ship since last October but I have never been on a ship
where our cabin steward or table waiter changed during the cruise.

We like the idea that we can tell our cabin steward from the get go when we
go to breakfast so that he can make up the cabin while we are gone, and we
like the idea that our table waiter and his assistant knows what we like as
well.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ
ospam

"Charles" wrote in message
d...

Old May 31st, 2004, 04:26 AM
Thomas Smith

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
et...

That has a lot of opportunity for major inconsistency.

I hope that concept doesn't spread industry wide.

I prefer the same waiter with traditional dining all week, and I would
prefer the same cabin steward all week.

--Tom

Rest assured, Carnival still has assigned cabin stewards. It wouldn't work
with their tipping and promotion system. It might be possible on ships that
pool their tips such as Princess and possibly Celebrity.

Tom Smith

Old May 31st, 2004, 05:03 AM
Tom & Linda

"Tom & Linda" wrote in message
et...

That has a lot of opportunity for major inconsistency.

I hope that concept doesn't spread industry wide.

I prefer the same waiter with traditional dining all week, and I would
prefer the same cabin steward all week.

--Tom

Rest assured, Carnival still has assigned cabin stewards. It wouldn't

work
with their tipping and promotion system. It might be possible on ships

that
pool their tips such as Princess and possibly Celebrity.

Tom Smith

It's probably more possible on ships where tips are automatically put on the
passengers account. Like Princess and Carnival. And NCL.

Celebrity doesn't automatically put the tips on your account. Nor are tips
pooled - from what people on Celebrity told us - at least that's what they
said.

--Tom