Accessing this group

Old January 16th, 2005, 04:06 AM
William Coleman

Default Accessing this group

if you are using outlook express try this link to get setup.
http://faq.comcast.net/faq/answer.js...ory=S oftware

Bill
--
visit my Caribbean Princess website
www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com
"Robert "Bob" Edwards" wrote in message
My son just gave me an Emachine computer and my isp is Comcast. What is
the best way to access this group?

Old January 16th, 2005, 10:42 AM
blackbird

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 04:06:20 GMT, "William Coleman"
wrote:

if you are using outlook express try this link to get setup.
http://faq.comcast.net/faq/answer.js...ory=S oftware

Bill

Because I hate MicroSofts Virus Magnet Outlook, I would sugguest he
download Thunderbird from Mozilla (free) and use it for both email and
usenet posting. The info for Outlook given by Comcast helps with
Thunderbird.

Old January 17th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Robert Bob Edwards

So far I'm thinking that I may just keep this WebTv for reading groups
because it's amazingly simple and I like the format but I may change my
mind as I become more familiar with Microsoft.

BTW, I'm not a new member. I've been a member of this group for several
years.

Old January 18th, 2005, 12:52 AM
Bob G.

I did not talk about it in my first post but I use Agent for reading
and posting. I have the paid for version, but the free version is
almost as good. If you are looking for a email and news reader get
Thunderbird but just to do usenet Agent is the best IMHO

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download.php

I agree But

I use the FREE version of agent for reading news groups and am
completely happy with it... no problems at all...

For e-mail... I have been sold on the paid version of Eudora (6.1 is
"my" current version) for years and have no plans ever to use anything
else at this time anyway...

For web Browsing I Tired them all....Opera, Netscape, Monzilla, plus
I.E....Now I have Firefox set as my default browser...Just seems
"quicker" to me...

I have no experience with WebTv... But I think the Computer with a
good newsreader would be better.... .

Bob Griffiths
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Dillon Pyron

Thus spake Bob G. :

I did not talk about it in my first post but I use Agent for reading
and posting. I have the paid for version, but the free version is
almost as good. If you are looking for a email and news reader get
Thunderbird but just to do usenet Agent is the best IMHO

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download.php

I agree But

I use the FREE version of agent for reading news groups and am
completely happy with it... no problems at all...

Been using Agent for coming on four years now.

For e-mail... I have been sold on the paid version of Eudora (6.1 is
"my" current version) for years and have no plans ever to use anything
else at this time anyway...

I'm running 6.2 now, been using Eudora for 6 years or so. The spam
filter is pretty good. 6.2 introduced "link warning". If the actual
URL is different from the text, a mouseover will give you a warning
and the actual URL.

For web Browsing I Tired them all....Opera, Netscape, Monzilla, plus
I.E....Now I have Firefox set as my default browser...Just seems
"quicker" to me...

Been using Mo, need to try Firefox.

I have no experience with WebTv... But I think the Computer with a
good newsreader would be better.... .

Bob Griffiths

--
dillon

"When the French are against it, you know we can't
be far wrong." - Adm. Bobbie Ray Inman
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:45 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Robert Bob Edwards wrote:
So far I'm thinking that I may just keep this WebTv for reading groups
because it's amazingly simple and I like the format

With Comcast you have free access to Giganews, which is pretty decent
and easy to start with. Once you get used to it, you might want to
switch to the German Server that a lot of us use. It is also free and
if you are interested someone here can provide you with the link.

I think that if you get Giganews set up and working, you will get used
to it and find it very easy to use.

sue
Old January 25th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Duck

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:45:21 -0500, Sue and Kevin Mullen
wrote:

Robert Bob Edwards wrote:
So far I'm thinking that I may just keep this WebTv for reading groups
because it's amazingly simple and I like the format

With Comcast you have free access to Giganews, which is pretty decent
and easy to start with. Once you get used to it, you might want to
switch to the German Server that a lot of us use. It is also free and
if you are interested someone here can provide you with the link.

I think that if you get Giganews set up and working, you will get used
to it and find it very easy to use.

sue

Can someone post the url for the german server. tia
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Reef Fish

wrote:

Robert Bob Edwards wrote:
So far I'm thinking that I may just keep this WebTv for reading

groups
because it's amazingly simple and I like the format

That's one reason WebTv posters have earned the "Clueless" label.

With Comcast you have free access to Giganews, which is pretty

decent
and easy to start with.

But far inferior to GROUPS.COOGLE.
Once you get used to it, you might want to

Can someone post the url for the german server. tia

M=F6chten Sie auf Deutsch schreiben?

Otherwise, just go to http://groups.google.com

and specify the newsgroup you wish to read (or post -- you can do BOTH,
and it's FREE). Once you learn to use the options "view titles only"
and within a thread "view as a tree" to get the entire history of all
posts by the thread subject, you'll open the door to be an enlightened
ng surfer.

-- Bob.