Question on NYC Cruise port HAL Noordam

Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:23 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
SwissCruiser

Default Question on NYC Cruise port HAL Noordam

Dear fellow cruisers,

We will board HAL Noordam on Dec 22 in NYC for a 14night cruise to the
Carribean. Our hotel for the night prior to the cruise is Hilton
Garden Inn on 790, 8th Av. (48the St.). Where is the cruise terminal
and how much time by taxi would it take from the hotel ?

Another question: I read that HAL have on board laundry facilities.
How does that work (tokens, soap, ironing boards)?

If you have anything else to report on the ship, please let us know.
If no changes occurs, we will be a party of 6 (including 3 kids) in
cabins 4119 and 4120 (O/S obstructed view).

Thanks for any advice you may send.

Frank
Geneva, Switzerland

Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

SwissCruiser wrote:

Dear fellow cruisers,

We will board HAL Noordam on Dec 22 in NYC for a 14night cruise to the
Carribean. Our hotel for the night prior to the cruise is Hilton
Garden Inn on 790, 8th Av. (48the St.). Where is the cruise terminal
and how much time by taxi would it take from the hotel ?

Another question: I read that HAL have on board laundry facilities.
How does that work (tokens, soap, ironing boards)?

Coin operated washers and dryers. They sell soap and bleach and they
have irons and ironing boards. (This is what they had on the Maasdam
anyway.) IIRC the wash was about $1.00 and the dryer was about 75
cents (but in common with a lot of coin operated dryers, sometimes it
take more than one dry cycle to dry the heavier things) You will find
that there is a lot of traffic in the laundry rooms during the last
week of the cruise.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick[_3_]

On Nov 2, 6:23 am, SwissCruiser wrote:
Dear fellow cruisers,

We will board HAL Noordam on Dec 22 in NYC for a 14night cruise to the
Carribean. Our hotel for the night prior to the cruise is Hilton
Garden Inn on 790, 8th Av. (48the St.). Where is the cruise terminal
and how much time by taxi would it take from the hotel ?

Another question: I read that HAL have on board laundry facilities.
How does that work (tokens, soap, ironing boards)?

If you have anything else to report on the ship, please let us know.
If no changes occurs, we will be a party of 6 (including 3 kids) in
cabins 4119 and 4120 (O/S obstructed view).

Thanks for any advice you may send.

Frank
Geneva, Switzerland

Hilton Garden Inn is about 5 min. cab ride to the Cruise
Terminal. Cruise Terminal is on the West Side Highway and only about
12 or 13 blocks north of your hotel. Quick easy ride.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
JoyceR[_2_]

SwissCruiser wrote:
Dear fellow cruisers,

We will board HAL Noordam on Dec 22 in NYC for a 14night cruise to the
Carribean. Our hotel for the night prior to the cruise is Hilton
Garden Inn on 790, 8th Av. (48the St.). Where is the cruise terminal
and how much time by taxi would it take from the hotel ?

Another question: I read that HAL have on board laundry facilities.
How does that work (tokens, soap, ironing boards)?

If you have anything else to report on the ship, please let us know.
If no changes occurs, we will be a party of 6 (including 3 kids) in
cabins 4119 and 4120 (O/S obstructed view).

Thanks for any advice you may send.

Frank
Geneva, Switzerland

I've been on the new Noordam and there are NO laundry facilities for the
passengers. None of the Vista class ships have them. You will have to
send your laundry to be done by HAL.

Depending on traffic to the pier, it could take anywhere from 5 minutes
to 3/4 of an hour. The earlier you go to the pier, the better. You're
better off waiting at the pier than missing the ship because of traffic.

Joyce
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_3_]

"JoyceR" wrote in message
SwissCruiser wrote:
[...]

Which means the cab could cost anywhere from $20 to $100 LOL

Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
SwissCruiser

How early are we allowed to embark ? Here in Europe it does not start
until 1 PM, even if you are at the terminal at 10 in the morning. We
never sailed HAL.
I guess that we would rather spend the morning in Manhattan because we
do not often visit NYC and one of our party members has even never
been there.
Upon return to NYC on January 5 (Saturday) we have a flight back from
JFK to Europe at 7.35 PM. What do you suggest we do with our luggage
during the day if we wanna do some sightseeing and/or shopping between
disembark and taking off ?
Frank

On 2 nov, 16:55, "Jr." wrote:
"JoyceR" wrote in message

SwissCruiser wrote:
[...]

Which means the cab could cost anywhere from $20 to $100 LOL- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

Old November 2nd, 2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jean O'Boyle

"JoyceR" wrote in message
SwissCruiser wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Joyce,
You have proven that it is not helpful to answer a question by just assuming
all HAL ships are alike.
Actual experience is very important especially when you are coming from as
far as Switzerland.

--Jean

Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick[_3_]

On 2 nov, 16:55, "Jr." wrote:

"JoyceR" wrote in message

SwissCruiser wrote:
[...]

- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -- Hide quoted text -

Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rick[_3_]

On Nov 2, 12:45 pm, SwissCruiser wrote:
How early are we allowed to embark ? Here in Europe it does not start
until 1 PM, even if you are at the terminal at 10 in the morning.

So long as the ship docks on time they should start boarding
around 11:30 - 11:45AM. The kitchens have the lunch buffet ready to
serve at that time. The cabins may not be ready but they will start
boarding.

Upon return to NYC on January 5 (Saturday) we have a flight back from
JFK to Europe at 7.35 PM. What do you suggest we do with our luggage
during the day if we wanna do some sightseeing and/or shopping between
disembark and taking off ?

Unfortunately there are not alot of options or places to hold
your luggage since 9/11. You might want to ask at the Hilton Garen
Inn if they have a holding room and could you arrange for your luggage
to be held when you return. I know the NY Hilton does have a holding
room. They charge about $5.00 per bag. NY HIlton is only 2 blocks
from Radio City Music Hall & Rockefeller Center & 1 block from
5th Avenue.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Nov 2, 6:17 pm, Rick wrote:
[...]

Hi if she"s the only ship in you should get there in 5 min. I will be
on the Noordam Feb. 16th a 11 day cruise . I will be tsaking the ferry
over and back from NJ .Really looking forward to thios cruise .Frist
time cruising from NYC in the winter time No flying !!