dropping off at the Leaning Tower of Pisa :)

Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default dropping off at the Leaning Tower of Pisa :)

Thanks for the great info about train travel from Florence to Pisa.
It is intended to just be a stop on our way from Florence to Venice to
save us a daytrip. However, the Leaning Tower, as I remember it, is
about a mile east of the train station. In 1975, I just had a
backpack and it was no problem but this year, there will be three of
us and we can't just drag our luggage that far. Does anyone have a
suggestion as to how we could safely stash our luggage near or at the
train station in Pisa? There must be many who are confronted with
this because, I'm sure for most, it's just an hour stop on the way to
somewhere else. Thanks for your help again!
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, wrote:

Thanks for the great info about train travel from Florence to Pisa.
It is intended to just be a stop on our way from Florence to Venice to
save us a daytrip.

Florence may be a stop from Pisa to Venice, not the other way round !

And Pisa is far more than the tower ... there is the cathedral, the
baptistery and the Camposanto (all like the tower in the piazza dei
Miracoli area), and other nice things (like S.Maria della Spina, on
river Arno, should be on the way from the station). Not sure about the
recent findings of roman ships. So deserves more than one hour.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how we could safely stash our
luggage near or at the train station in Pisa?

I've never heard of private left luggage facilities anywhere here in
Italy. I cannot verify if Pisa station has left luggage facilities. Once
one could rely on the fact any small-medium station had one. I checked
http://www.centostazioni.it/ but despite Pisa is one of the "100" medium
size stations, there is no data sheet (scheda informativa)

However googling for Pisa and "centostazioni" one gets to this page
http://www.bed-and-breakfast.it/bed_...zione_pisa.cfm
which says left luggage facilities exist.

If you really intend to travel Florence to Venice (not DEPARTING from
Pisa) you could either leave the luggage at your hotel in Florence or at
the left luggage of Firenze SMN (Florence main station), go to Pisa, and
collect the luggage before changing train in Florence (which I expect
you'll have to do anyhow)

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old April 3rd, 2008, 04:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

"Giovanni Drogo" ha scritto nel messaggio
news:alpine.LSU.1.00.0804031703090.22260@cbfrvqba. ynzoengr.vans.vg...

--

I agree that there is much more to see in Pisa than the Leaning Tower

I was quite impressed by CAMPOSANTO with the widest collection of
Sarcophagus in the world.

Nobody talks about it.. and the fact that it was almost completely detroyed
by a US Air raid during the war.

Old April 3rd, 2008, 05:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Go Fig

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, wrote:

[...]

But a U.S. Sergeant knew the value of the tower and made sure the bombs
did not hit it, despite the fact that the Germans were using it as a
observation post.

jay
Thu Apr 03, 2008

Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

Giovanni wrote on Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:13:53 +0200:

?? Thanks for the great info about train travel from Florence
?? to Pisa. It is intended to just be a stop on our way from
?? Florence to Venice to save us a daytrip.

Responding to the subject title, isn't that what Galileo is
supposed to have done?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old April 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, James Silverton wrote:

?? Thanks for the great info about train travel from Florence
?? to Pisa. It is intended to just be a stop on our way from
?? Florence to Venice to save us a daytrip.

isn't that what Galileo is supposed to have done?

Well, my recallings are that Galileo was born in Pisa, and taught in the
local university (which at the time was the main university in Tuscany),
and later got a chair in Padova (Padua), and died in Arcetri (Florence).

You might have in mind a well know painting with Galileo demonstrating
his telescope to the Venetian Senate ... but he most likely just went
from Padua to Venice for that.

I doubt he travelled from Florence to Venice via Pisa (although a quick
wiki-check shows he moved a few times between Pisa and Florence) ...
even at the time it should have been quicker to go by land
(Florence-Venice) than circumnavigating Italy (Pisa to Venice) :-)

.... although not unlikely even a few centuries before. During the famous
Meloria naval battle the Venetians were allied with Pisa against Genova
(when Marco Polo and Rustichello da Pisa were made prisoner by the
Genovese ... no, sorry, Marco Polo had been caught before in the
Adriatic, only Rustichello was caught at the Meloria)

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old April 4th, 2008, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

Martin wrote on Fri, 04 Apr 2008 14:46:16 +0200:

?? On Thu, 3 Apr 2008, James Silverton wrote:
??
?? Thanks for the great info about train travel from
?? Florence to Pisa. It is intended to just be a stop on
?? our way from Florence to Venice to save us a daytrip.
??
?? isn't that what Galileo is supposed to have done?
??
?? Well, my recallings are that Galileo was born in Pisa, and
?? taught in the local university (which at the time was the
?? main university in Tuscany), and later got a chair in
?? Padova (Padua), and died in Arcetri (Florence).

M Galileo is supposed to have a piece of lead and a feather
M from the LToP to demonstrate gravity.
M http://www.exploratorium.edu/snacks/...g_feather.html

I wasn't being completely serious but Galileo might once have
been seen "dropping off" a lead and a wooden ball at the tower
of Pisa. The story may be apocryphal and he was not the sort of
person to do public demonstrations that would not work like
using feathers. The experiment with a feather was done, by I
forget who, after the vacuum pump was available.