Paris seafood restaurant

Old May 7th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Donna Evleth

Default Paris seafood restaurant

Dans l'article . net,
Adella a écrit :

The apartment we were considering was right on the Canal, with a view of
the trees and the barges. Rarely does a day go by that I don't regret
not having it. At the time the dollar was strong and we would have
made out like bandits. Today, alas, I doubt we could afford anything
bigger than a parking space.

I love the "junkiness" mixed in with the "yuppiness". The combination
gives the area real flavor. I don't think I have been to
"Bouledogue"...it's a name one would remember. I hope your daschund
isn't offended. :-)

They're not racist, they do accept other breeds:-)

Donna Evleth

Old May 7th, 2004, 07:20 PM
Lou

Whenever the waiter or waitress ignores me after I ask them for the bill, I
get up , take my time to put on my coat , talk to my friends , and walk out
of the restaurant , I have done that in Paris , Milan , Venice and Montreal,
and whould you believe , everytime , the waiter caught me at the door ,
apologized , smiled feebly and I paid my bill.
Clearly , you have to be able to be a comedian,,,

"Jeremy" wrote in message
On Earl's recommendation we wnet to have dinner at Garnier, opposite St
Lazarre, tonight. Unfortunately it was closed, so we decided to go to the
seafood restaurant next door, called Mollard or some such thing.

The food was good, but the service was a sort of caricature of French
restaurant service - truly appalling - rude, condescending, slow. We left
without having dessert or coffee as we just couldn't be bothered for the
waiter to come back to take our order: we did ask him but he just buggered
off somewhere.

Some restaurants have grumpy staff that sort of adds to the charm and
authenticity of the experience - Chez Denise at Les Halles springs to

mind.
This wasn't like that, it was just rude.

Stay away.

J;

Old May 9th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Anonymouse

Earl wrote:

Paris may be a big exception since it is inland and maybe
6 hours by truck from Bretagne ports. The sea food is
sometimes better looking here than in Bretagne!

Hi,

I've always been happy with the fresh/raw seafood I've had in Paris over
the years... and amazed at the number of oysters that get eaten around
christmas.

but a few days ago I saw you mention the seafood vendor on Rue
Daguerre... I've always thought it pretty good but nothing amazing...
but the sushi restaurant down the street was poor.

if you want to see big seafood markets go to New York or San
Francisco... (or tokyo).

I know here (memphis) the sushi places all get sushi grade fish out of
SF and NYC via fedex.

ttyl

akia

--
To live outside the law, you must be honest...
(Absolutely Sweet Marie - Blonde on Blonde - 1966)

Old May 9th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Earl

On 9/05/04 8:50, in article
, "Anonymouse"
wrote:

I've always been happy with the fresh/raw seafood I've had in Paris over
the years... and amazed at the number of oysters that get eaten around
christmas.

I have been on a prison visit for a few days to just saw this.

Christmas and New Years are the "grande bouffe" in France. I read
somewhere
that a large fraction of the years consumption of oysters occurs
in the holiday period. Smoked salmon and caviar, the same thing.

but a few days ago I saw you mention the seafood vendor on Rue
Daguerre... I've always thought it pretty good but nothing amazing...
but the sushi restaurant down the street was poor.

I am not a sushi fan so can not speak up for where are the good
sushi places in Paris, others will have to.

We personally never shop at Daguerre but up the street at Alesia.
But it is know in Paris as one of the spots, there are a least
a dozen, probably many more like it.

if you want to see big seafood markets go to New York or San
Francisco... (or tokyo).

Where in SF?

I know here (memphis) the sushi places all get sushi grade fish out of
SF and NYC via fedex.

One of the best seafood restaurants we have eaten at in the US was in
Urbana, the items were flown in daily. But University towns can
sometimes have "sophisticated" restaurants.

We ate very well in Fort Launderdale recently although not at one
of the fancy (too expensive) places.

Earl
Old February 27th, 2005, 12:27 PM
JuanElorza

The Rev Gaston a écrit :
From time to time you may have seen Earl's recommendations for a
seafood restaurant opposite St Lazarre station called Garnier's.
Yesterday being Mrs G's birthday we wenr there, and I concur with Earl
that it is excellent. We had the giant seafood platter, and you could
hardly see the far side of it. However, after an hour of gobbling we
made some inroads into the pile of oysters, langoustines, crab etc. The
starters are also delicious - we had salmon gravlax in a mild mustard
sauce, and crab with an avodaco mousse - and the desserts a let-down
being only "good". Wee Miss had lamb chops which were also very good -
tender and tasty, so if one of yoru partyt doesn't like seafood, have no
fear.

The service is also excellent. We were accomodated in a "no smoking"
secton which had a good window view over the street below.

The prices are not cheap - we crept out for a smidgeon under €250 - but
it was nice for a special occasion.

G;

For about the same price, you can, also, rent a car and have a day trip
to Honfleur (near Rouen Deauville, no easy train access) where you will
find some rather good sea food restaurants while enjoying a view on the
old harbour.

http://www.ot-honfleur.fr/va/index.php
http://www.restaurant-honfleur.com/menus.htm
http://www.lesdeuxponts.fr/hten/index.htm

Other Normandy towns with sea food restaurant : Dieppe, Etretat, Saint
Valery en Caux.
http://www.dieppetourisme.com/gb/alaune.php
http://www.ville-saint-valery-en-cau...%20anglais.htm
http://www.cauxmaritime.com/

Old February 27th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Kristian

On 2005-02-27 13:27:32 +0100, JuanElorza said:

The Rev Gaston a écrit :
From time to time you may have seen Earl's recommendations for a
[...]

I have my own car so it's even cheaper than that, but not very
practical for an evening out, is it?

G;

And if you did, you´d better not study the wine list too closely

Kristian
Old February 27th, 2005, 01:23 PM
Kristian

Old February 27th, 2005, 04:03 PM