Nationwide to charge for Euro transactions

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:03 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

Default Nationwide to charge for Euro transactions

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:47:48 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

If you are frequently abroad open a bank account in the EU.

Surely you mean the Eurozone? The UK is in the EU, however hard some try to
pretend it isn't.

I don't pay anything for ATM withdrawals in any Eurozone country.

--
Tim C.
I used to do rock climbing as a youth, but I was much bolder back then.
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Tim C. wrote:

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:47:48 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

If you are frequently abroad open a bank account in the EU.

Depends where you go abroad. Not going to help me with draw dollars or
sols!

Surely you mean the Eurozone? The UK is in the EU, however hard some try to
pretend it isn't.

I don't pay anything for ATM withdrawals in any Eurozone country.

That's because euro banks can't charge any more than they would for
'home' withdrawals. But that works other ways- some banks in euro
countries impose charges on home withdrawals...

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne[_2_]

Mike Lane wrote:

David Horne wrote on Aug 5, 2010:

Mike Lane wrote:

David Horne wrote on Aug 5, 2010:

Andy Pandy wrote:

Well after (correctly) telling us for years that other banks rip us
off with foreign exchange loading fees and foreign cash withdrawal
fees, Nationwide are jumping on the bandwagon and imposing a 2%
foreign exchange loading plus a £1 cash withdrawal fee on their debit
card. A bit cheaper than most banks but not much.

I will miss the ATM card for the flex account- I used it all over the
world for cash
[snip]

Same here!
What will you use instead?

As Andy, probably the Halifax Clarity credit card. But, when travelling
on holiday with my partner, I'll get him to withdraw money from his
Boston bank account, which only adds Visa's 1%. At least for the time
being, with current exchange rates.

I see, thanks. But what an absolute PITA. I find all this swapping accounts,
credit cards and all financial stuff tedious beyond belief. I'd almost rather
pay the extra 1% or whatever

Extra 2-3% plus less favourable exchange rates...

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 10:07:47 +0100, David Horne wrote in post :
:

Tim C. wrote:

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:47:48 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

If you are frequently abroad open a bank account in the EU.

Depends where you go abroad. Not going to help me with draw dollars or
sols!

Surely you mean the Eurozone? The UK is in the EU, however hard some try to
pretend it isn't.

I don't pay anything for ATM withdrawals in any Eurozone country.

That's because euro banks can't charge any more than they would for
'home' withdrawals. But that works other ways- some banks in euro
countries impose charges on home withdrawals...

Yes some do here as well, but here at least, most don't (as far as I can
tell from a straw-poll in the office). It depends on the bank and the
actual account you have.

--
Tim C.
Why are there snakes on my windscreen? Those are my vipers.
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

On 06/08/10 11:03, Tim C. wrote:
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:47:48 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

If you are frequently abroad open a bank account in the EU.

Surely you mean the Eurozone?

Just checking )

The UK is in the EU, however hard some try to
pretend it isn't.

I don't pay anything for ATM withdrawals in any Eurozone country.

If you use bank ATMs!!

Old August 6th, 2010, 10:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

Tim wrote:

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:47:48 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

If you are frequently abroad open a bank account in the EU.

Depends where you go abroad. Not going to help me with draw dollars or
sols!

Surely you mean the Eurozone? The UK is in the EU, however hard some try to
pretend it isn't.

I don't pay anything for ATM withdrawals in any Eurozone country.

That's because euro banks can't charge any more than they would for
'home' withdrawals. But that works other ways- some banks in euro
countries impose charges on home withdrawals...

Yes some do here as well, but here at least, most don't (as far as I can
tell from a straw-poll in the office). It depends on the bank and the
actual account you have.

The key factor in inter Euroland transfer charges is whether their is a
charge for Euro internal transfers between banks in the countries
involved in an international Euro transfer.

Specifying where the costs were to be charged was stopped this year. I
now pay the same local bank charge for a Euro transfer to UK, plus 0.6%
charge by the UK receiving bank. I transfer GBPs.
Old August 6th, 2010, 11:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:36:20 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

I don't pay anything for ATM withdrawals in any Eurozone country.

If you use bank ATMs!!

No, all ATMs as I understand it, will have to check the details if I could
be bothered. I can't say I've noticed an ATM that hasn't had a bank logo on
it in the places I've been, and I've not seen any extra charges on my
statements either.

--
Tim C.
Why do Marxists only drink herbal tea? Because propper tea is theft.
Old August 6th, 2010, 11:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

Tim C. wrote:

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 10:47:48 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

If you are frequently abroad open a bank account in the EU.

Depends where you go abroad. Not going to help me with draw dollars or
sols!

Surely you mean the Eurozone? The UK is in the EU, however hard some try
pretend it isn't.

I don't pay anything for ATM withdrawals in any Eurozone country.

That's because euro banks can't charge any more than they would for
'home' withdrawals. But that works other ways- some banks in euro
countries impose charges on home withdrawals...

Yes some do here as well, but here at least, most don't (as far as I can
tell from a straw-poll in the office). It depends on the bank and the
actual account you have.

Both the "Euro" country bank accounts that I had charged an annual fee for
having a "foreign" ATM card. Free bank transfer was restricted to bank to
bank transfer and withdrawal of cash from your "home" bank (which may be
more than one branch).

If they don't get you one way they will do it another

tim

Old August 6th, 2010, 11:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 11:28:02 +0100, tim.... wrote in post :
:

If they don't get you one way they will do it another

Banks never lose :-(
--
Tim C.
You know what's a dangerous place to swim? The Hepatitis C
Old August 6th, 2010, 12:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

On 06/08/10 12:11, Tim C. wrote:
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:36:20 +0200, Martin wrote in post :
:

I don't pay anything for ATM withdrawals in any Eurozone country.

If you use bank ATMs!!

No, all ATMs as I understand it, will have to check the details if I could
be bothered. I can't say I've noticed an ATM that hasn't had a bank logo on
it in the places I've been, and I've not seen any extra charges on my
statements either.

There a lots in NL without bank logos, that have a charge. Those located
in McDs, for example, charge EUR2.5 per transaction.

Did I mention that ABNAMRO Banks need a one week warning if you want to
buy foreign currency and only sell foreign currency in amounts greater
than EUR1000. This change happened shortly after most of the post
offices closed forever.