JBU to start JFK-SMF service in March

Old January 7th, 2004, 07:01 PM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Default JBU to start JFK-SMF service in March

http://www.sacbee.com/content/travel...-8990946c.html

Sacramento lands a hot ticket to N.Y.
By Andrew LePage -- Bee Staff Writer - (Published January 7, 2004)

Discount airline JetBlue Airways announced Tuesday that it will offer
Sacramento its first nonstop daily flight to New York City, saying that
it expects strong demand in a region that has seen explosive growth.

JetBlue -- known for its low prices and satellite TV in every wide
leather seat -- said it will launch red-eye service March 3, with
special promotional one-way fares as low as $99 to John F. Kennedy
International Airport. Later the one-way prices will rise to between
$139 and $299 if booked on JetBlue's Web site.

"Sacramento is a large city that we've looked at for a long time, and
with the exception of the fog you get in there, it's a great place,"
said David Neeleman, JetBlue's chief executive officer. "We think
Sacramento ... can start with the red-eye and, who knows, maybe add
more service later on."

Many local travelers already drive to Oakland to get nonstop service to
New York, Neeleman said. And when the airline begins nonstop service,
he added, it has consistently lured in new customers who would not
otherwise have made a trip.

Local airport officials have been wooing JetBlue for two years, and on
Tuesday business leaders said the result was well worth the lengthy
courtship.

"In this world where we really do business on a global scale, having a
connection to a city like New York or the East Coast is a big deal ...
for this region," said Barbara Hayes of the Sacramento Area Commerce
and Trade Organization.

"When we're working with companies considering this region, one of the
questions we get is: 'How many direct flights do you have to New York,
Washington, D.C., and Chicago?' Up until today we had to say 'zero' for
New York," she added.

Sacramento has been without a daily nonstop flight to the Atlantic
seaboard since United Airlines canceled its daily flight to Washington,
D.C., in October 2001. United cited a drop in business after the Sept.
11 terrorist attacks. Today, the furthest a nonstop flight from
Sacramento goes is to Atlanta.

The nonstop New York service at Sacramento International Airport will
eliminate hours that travelers have spent either driving to Bay Area
airports or making a connecting flight to the nation's financial
center, said Joe Brancatelli, publisher of the business travel Web site
JoeSentMe.com.

Local travelers will also save time when flying to Europe, given JFK
airport is a popular place to meet connecting flights, said Cynthia
Michalski, president of Giselle's Travel in Sacramento.

Brancatelli said JetBlue has set itself apart from many larger
competitors by achieving profitability while offering passengers
superior service, one-way fares that don't exceed $299, above-average
passenger seat widths, a bit more leg room and satellite TV.

"They've revolutionized air travel," Brancatelli said.

Given that the service is overnight, Sacramentans will likely need the
added space to stretch out and catch a wink or two.

The flights will leave at 11:55 p.m. and arrive at John F. Kennedy
International Airport at 7:55 a.m. The return flight leaves New York at
7:35 p.m. and arrives at 10:55 p.m.

Neeleman said there's potential for expansion in Sacramento, but he
doesn't expect that to come until 2005. In California, JetBlue now
serves Oakland, Ontario, Long Beach and San Diego.

JetBlue's decision to add Sacramento to the list was hailed by airport
officials and local political leaders. Even Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger
extolled the new service -- after the airline asked whether he wanted
to make a statement, that is.

"I applaud JetBlue for expanding their California presence to include
Sacramento," Schwarzenegger was quoted as saying in a prepared
statement from JetBlue. "Their decision to connect the capital city and
New York City offers greater opportunities for commerce and tourism in
this vibrant part of our state. JetBlue's expansion is the latest sign
that California is open for business, and that our state's economy is
taking flight."

BL.
- --
Brad Littlejohn | Email:
Unix Systems Administrator, |

Web + NewsMaster, BOFH.. Smeghead! |
http://www.sbcglobal.net/~tyketto

Old January 7th, 2004, 07:12 PM
mrraveltay

Peter L wrote:

Now Arnold has a direct flight to NY, whenever his personal jet is down for
service.

I thought he didn't plan on living in the Governor's Mansion.

Old January 7th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Peter L

"mrraveltay" wrote in message

Peter L wrote:

Now Arnold has a direct flight to NY, whenever his personal jet is down

for
service.

I thought he didn't plan on living in the Governor's Mansion.

No one lives in the Governor's Mansion. It's a (kind of) museum. I have
read that he is now looking for a house in Sacto. With re-election he may
be the governator for 6 years.