Bullsh*t from Spirit AIrlines

Old January 24th, 2012, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

Default Bullsh*t from Spirit AIrlines

Go to spirit.com and you get a banner ad

Thanks to the U.S. Department of Transportation's latest fare rules, Spirit
must now HIDE the government's taxes and fees in your fares.

If the government can hide taxes in your airfares, then they can carry out
their hidden agenda and quietly increase their taxes. (Yes, such talks are
already underway.)

And if they can do it to the airline industry, what's next?

As the transparency leader and most consumer-friendly airline, Spirit DOES NOT
support this new USDOT mandate. We believe the better form of transparency is
to break out costs so customers know exactly what they're buying.

What can you do to help stop this injustice?

Join us in keeping government taxes and fees low and transparent by contacting
your elected officials

Nothing prevents Spirit from showing the breakdown of the fare. They can no
longer hide the total fare.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old January 25th, 2012, 01:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air,misc.consumers
Fly Guy

Binyamin Dissen wrote:

Go to spirit.com and you get a banner ad

Thanks to the U.S. Department of Transportation's latest fare
rules, Spirit must now HIDE the government's taxes and fees in
your fares.

Nothing prevents Spirit from showing the breakdown of the fare. They
can no longer hide the total fare.

Yea, a co-worker of mine got the same message from Spirit via e-mail.

It's a crock of **** for Spirit to complain about having to show the
TOTAL ticket price up front (in their advertizing or at the initial
selection of an itinerary) instead of showing the total only on the
final screen.

It's a crock of **** because they NEVER went out of their way IN THE
PAST to SHOW THE CONSUMER what these taxes and fees were at any other
point of contact with the consumer other than on the final PURCHASE NOW
screen.

So I can't see why they're claiming that the new rules amount to
"hiding" these fees and taxes. They're just as "visible" as they were
before - as in how their detailed listing still exists in the only place
it has ever existed - on the final screen.

And even then - they still don't show the breakout of the 7.5% federal
excise tax from the base fare.

Just for the hell of it, I was pricing a ticket from Detroit to Orlando
(return).

The base fare was $414, their fuel surcharge was $85, and what they
claim as other gov't fees and taxes was $55 for a total of $555. The
base fare of $414 seems to include the 7.5% federal excise tax - because
this tax is not broken out in the $55 list.

I went to Delta to look at the price for a similar flight and again they
broke out the "base fare + tax" as a single line-item.

The whole airline industry (or should I say - the customers) are being
****ed-over with all these gov't fees and taxes. And after paying all
that - we get to lose our constitutional rights to privacy, liberty, due
process and anonymity when we fly.