baltoro la trek

Old March 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
alpine

Default baltoro la trek

Baltoro - Gondogoro La trek

Range: Karakoram
Tour Destination: 20 Days
Group Size: 3 & above
Destination: Pakistan
Season: May - September
Tour Customizable: Yes
Track Difficulty (Grade): Strenuous
Maximum attitude: 5450 meters
Nearby Attractions: Gondogora La with spectacular views of K2, Broad
Peak, and the Gasherbrums. A panoramic view of 8000 meter peaks!
Pax:1350 per person US DOLLERS

Mountain Skills & Disciplines:
* Hiking
* Back packing
* Camping
* High Attitude
* Traversing
* Avalanche Awareness
* Environment Awareness
* Outdoor Survival
* Navigation

Baltoro - Gondogoro La trek
This is one of the most scenic and spectacular mountain journeys on
the planet. It is unrivalled in its grandeur, isolation, and
consistency of proximity to some of the world's highest and most
impressive mountains. Baltoro - Gondogoro La trek takes you in the
heart of Skardu. To the place where there is the highest concentration
of some of the tallest peaks in the world.

Day 1: Islamabad
Arrive Islamabad reception, meeting and assisting upon arrival. Assist
in custom clearance and transfer to centrally air conditioned hotel
Blue Sky. Afternoon visit Ministry of Tourism for briefing. Evening
visit to Shah Faisal mosque, Shakar Parian, Damane Koh and a shopping
trip to Supper Market to explore the market for carpets and rugs
gathered here from Iran, Afghanistan, China, Uzbekistan etc . Bar-B-Q
dinner in Afghan Restaurant in real Afghan style.
Day 2: Islamabad - Skurdu/Chilas
After breakfast, we will be on the most fantastic commercial flight in
the world taking us from Islamabad to Skardu. If the weather is bad,
we will drive to Chilas over Karakoram Highway along mighty Indus
River, 11 to 12 hours drive, and overnight in hotel.
Day 3: Skardu
Rest day in Skardu. Sight seeing in Skardu includes Satpara Lake,
Bazar and afternoon final packing for the Trek (Askole)
Day4: Skardu - Askoli
After breakfast we will make the 7 hours trip by 4 x 4 jeep to Askole
(3000 meters).The last village before the starting of trek. Here we
meet the porters of the trek, overnight in camp.
Day5: Askoli - Julha:
Trek along the Braldu River over barren land surrounded by the lofted
mountain. Julha is located on the bank of Dumurdo at the altitude of
3300meters and walking distance is 6 to 7 hours, overnight in camp.

Day: Julha -Paiyu
The trail alternate between the riverbed and terraces above crossing
boulder field and side streams until coming to Paiju Glacier out watch
Paiju stream. En route the view of Paiju peak 6600 meters and the
Cathedral Towers 6017 meters. Paiju is located at the altitude of 3425
meters and walking distance is 5 to 6 hours, overnight in camp.

Day 8 Rest Day in Paiju)
Paiju is like an Oasis in the desert. Here we have one day rest. Wash
up, relax, read, climb on a steep ridge behind the camp, sing and
dance with the porters! Depending upon the size of the party. From
here we will have view of Great Trango Tower 6223 meters.

Day 9: Paiju- Khuburchi (3800M 12,460 ft)
Camp, trek on Baltoro Glacier. Six to eight hours of walking. A tough
day as we climb on the rocky moraines of the Baltoro, but the sight of
Baltoro pinnacles and Paiju Peak is astounding.

Day 10 : Khuburchi -Urdukas (3,950 m 12,950 ft)
Camp, Baltoro Glacier. A short 4-hour plus walk on the rocky moraines
and ablation valley of the Baltoro. We will cross couple of icy side
glaciers on the way and may have our first sight of Broad Peak and the
Gasherbrums. The historical campsite is located on a grassy slope high
above the Baltoro and commands one of the most intense mountain views
in this world.

Day 10: Urdukuas - Goro II (4,300 m 14,100 ft)
Camp, Baltoro Glacier. This is a tough day's walk on the undulating
Baltoro. However, the footing becomes easy as the rocks become smaller
and smaller as we move up the Baltoro. It takes about 8 hours to get
to Goro. We walk right smack up the center moraine of the Baltoro. As
Masherbrum emerges on the right, it takes our breath away and so does
Gasherbrums 4 right in front of us. Goro is a cold campsite! It has a
great view of the Muztagh Tower, overnight in camp.

Day 12: Goro- Concordia:
Now we are entering in the Throne room of Mountains God Concordia at
the altitude of 4650 meters, where the Godwin Austin Glacier meets the
upper Baltoro glacier. Here we have the Majestic view of K-2 (8611
meters) and Broad peak (8048 meters), Ghogolisa (7765 meters),
Gasherbrum-IV (7952 meters), Golden Throne (7004 meters) and countless
lofty peaks.4 to 5 hours trek, overnight in camp.

Day 13: Concordia:
Free day in Concordia or day excursion to K-2/Broad Peak Base Camp
trek.

Day 14: Concordia- Ali Camp (4900 M, 16,560 ft)
Camp, trek on Vigne Glacier. This is done in 6 plus hours. Ali Camp is
surprisingly a warmer camp when compared to Goro and Concordia. It is
located on a bird's nest like small rocky area above the Vigne. Here
we have a view of Gasherbrurm-III (7925 meters), Gasherbrum-IV (7952
meters), Chogolisa (7765meters), Gasherbrum-V, Gasherbrum-VI,
overnight in camp

Day 15: Trek to Kuespang: (4,833 m 15,850 ft)
This the most strenuous and demanding day of the trek. We start
walking at 2:00 o'clock in the early morning to avoid the possible
danger of rock falling and Avalanches cross Gondogoro La (5,700 m.),
descend Gondogoro Glacier, arrive Hispang campsite at 2:00 p.m., long
tough day.

Day 16: Trek to Dalspangpa:
En route view of Laila Peak (6000meters). Dalspangpa is located at an
altitude 4300meters. Walking distance is 5 to 6 hours, overnight in
camp.

Day 17: (Trek to Shaicho)
Shaichoo is located at an altitude of 3330meters.It is 5 to 6 hours
trek. We slowly come back to civilization as we travel through high
villages and summer pastures of the people from Hushe. There are
awesome views of K6 and K7 towards our left on this walk, overnight in
camp.

Day 18: (Rest day in Saitcho )
Free day in Shaicho. You can play some volleyball in the heart of the
Karakoram here

Day 19: (Trek to Hushe 2,750 m.)
With the Majestic view of Masherbrum. Walking distance is 3 hours. At
Hushe jeeps are waiting and continuous drive to Skardu, overnight in
hotel.

Day19: Drive to Chilas or Besham, overnight in hotel.

Day20: Drive to Islamabad, overnight in hotel.

Day21: After debriefing, visit Rawalpindi old Bazar and free for
shopping.

Day22: Transfer to Islamabad Airport for fly back to destination.

Services Included:
Airport/road transfer in AC coach and/or four wheel drive jeep.
Hotel accommodation and meals.
All meals during trek.
All transfers including to Ministry of Tourism for briefing and
debriefing, From and to air ports.
All crockery and cooking wares, hand washing dish, napkins, washing
soap, sleeping Kitchen equipment, fuel and related camping gear,
Sitting tent, cooking tent, stool camps, camp tables, patromax
lightning sets.
Services of English speaking guide, cook, and low altitude porters.
12.5 kg of personal baggage during trek.
Porterage at airport and hotels, toll taxes and parking fee etc.
Insurance of our field staff, porters/staff.

Cost not included:International & domestic airfare and airport tax.
* Excess weight.
* Sleeping bags and personal nature clothing/equipment.
* Extras at hotels like drinks, laundry, phone calls.
* Insurance liability and other under force majeure conditions,
medical aid, and helicopter rescue coverage etc
* International airfare to Islamabad
* Accommodations en route to Islamabad
* Non-scheduled meals or hotel nights while in Islamabad
* Trip cancellation and medical/evacuation insurance
* Visas, excess baggage charges, airport taxes, immunizations
* Staff/guide gratuities
* Items of a personal nature (personal gear, phone calls, laundry,
alcohol, etc.)
Recommended equipment list
Footwear: Well broken-in walking boots these must be suitable for
snow, thick socks, light socks, camp shoes. Clothing: Down or fibre
filled waterproof jacket and trousers, sweater or fleece jacket,
underwear, warm and cotton trousers or jeans, shirts and T-shirts,
shorts, long underwear, wool hat, sun hat, gloves, bathing suit, track
suit , umbrella specially for ladies as first few days are reasonably
hot during trekking.
Other equipment:
Sleeping bag (4 seasons), trekking holdall or stash sack with lock,
day pack, water bottle, sun cream, sunglasses, flashlight with spare
bulbs and batteries, lip salve, gaiters. Other items: Insect
repellent, toilet articles, diary, toilet roll,laundry soap, wet ones,
pocket knife, tie cord, towel, sewing kit, plasters, binoculars,
camera, films, cards and personal medical kit

contact: