…and a cast of thousands

Old August 25th, 2008, 12:55 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
Icono Clast

Default …and a cast of thousands

[Please note cross-posts.]

Move over, Busby Berekely and Cecil B. de Mille for Zhang Yimou who
has surpassed your vision and casts of thousands. I think the combined
opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics are a show that
won't be surpassed during the lifetime of anyone living today. I
further believe that English needs to steal a new word to describe
what we saw.

I have prepared a an adjusted ranking of the top 23 medal-winning
countries that might be available this time tomorrow. Jamaica is
Number One, the USA 19, and China last.
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
Alan S[_1_]

On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 04:55:50 -0700 (PDT), Icono Clast
wrote:

[Please note cross-posts.]

Move over, Busby Berekely and Cecil B. de Mille for Zhang Yimou who
has surpassed your vision and casts of thousands. I think the combined
opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics are a show that
won't be surpassed during the lifetime of anyone living today. I
further believe that English needs to steal a new word to describe
what we saw.

I have prepared a an adjusted ranking of the top 23 medal-winning
countries that might be available this time tomorrow. Jamaica is
Number One, the USA 19, and China last.

You're a little late, although you can argue about the
weighting given to gold, silver and bronze:
http://www.geocities.com/unclebryan/Polympic.html

I'm afraid I was a little less impressed by the show; but I
must admit my bias against the regime has a bit to do with
that. I also dislike cheats, whether they cheat with
performance-enhancing drugs (time and technology on the
samples taken over the past fortnight could become a major
embarrassment in my opinion), lip-synching little girls who
are prettier than the real singer, or computer-enhanced TV
feeds of "live" light shows and fireworks.

I was watching all those incredibly disciplined dancers and
drummers in both ceremonies and wondering what will happen
later to the very few unfortunates who stood out for missing
a step or a cue.

I felt the best real performers, apart from the athletes,
were taken away in Police vans after being arrested in "Free
Tibet" protests.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alan_s/
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:37 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
Gerald Oliver Swift

"Icono Clast" wrote in message
[Please note cross-posts.]

Move over, Busby Berekely and Cecil B. de Mille for Zhang Yimou who
has surpassed your vision and casts of thousands. I think the combined
opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics are a show that
won't be surpassed during the lifetime of anyone living today. I
further believe that English needs to steal a new word to describe

Anybody who has been to Yangshuo and watched his song / dance / light show
there, already knew what a master Zhang is.

Gerry

Old August 25th, 2008, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Brian K[_2_]

On 8/25/2008 7:55 AM Icono Clast scrawled...:
[Please note cross-posts.]

Move over, Busby Berekely and Cecil B. de Mille for Zhang Yimou who
has surpassed your vision and casts of thousands. I think the combined
opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics are a show that
won't be surpassed during the lifetime of anyone living today. I
further believe that English needs to steal a new word to describe
what we saw.

I have prepared a an adjusted ranking of the top 23 medal-winning
countries that might be available this time tomorrow. Jamaica is
Number One, the USA 19, and China last.

[Note: Cross Posting Removed]
I read this in the Usenet newsgroup rec.travel.caribbean; it is neither
on topic or relevant in this newsgroup. I am fully aware that the
rec.travel newsgroups are unmoderated; there is no official "internet
police" moderating this group. This is why I am asking you on a
individual basis not to cross post or perpetuate the cross posting of
others. Icono Clast, I have read many of your posts in
rec.travel.usa-canada. They are not cross posted, and are mainly
informative. Why do so now? The passing mention of Jamaica hardly is a
reason. FYI many newsreaders: Outlook, Outlook Express, Mozilla
Thunderbird, naming the ones I've used, I enable the user to eliminate
irrelevant newsgroups prior to sending. If you don't have one of these
and/or others with this capability why not give the aforementioned a try?

I wanted to mention my 2¢ worth to you b/c however, your email address
bounced.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:40 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
PeterL

wrote:
[...]

Ah Aurstralia, where they hunted aboriginies like wild animals and got
paid for each kill. Has your country apologized for that and made it
up to the natives yet? What about restricting non White immigrants
until the late 60's?
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:01 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
Mike O'Sullivan

Alan S wrote:

I'm afraid I was a little less impressed by the show; but I
must admit my bias against the regime has a bit to do with
that. I also dislike cheats, whether they cheat with
performance-enhancing drugs (time and technology on the
samples taken over the past fortnight could become a major
embarrassment in my opinion), lip-synching little girls who
are prettier than the real singer, or computer-enhanced TV
feeds of "live" light shows and fireworks.

You didn't mention the faking of birthdates for competitors, whose
documentation mysteriously disappears when their eligability is questioned.
Old August 25th, 2008, 07:51 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
memiki

wrote:
[...]

Hi Alan -- I never met an Australian I didn't like......your post is
well-written and well-taken.......

Cheers, Miki, USA

Old August 25th, 2008, 09:07 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
Mike O'Sullivan

memiki wrote:

Hi Alan -- I never met an Australian I didn't like....

Cheers, Miki, USA

You're not an England cricket supporter then!
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:09 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
memiki

On Aug 25, 4:55*am, Icono Clast wrote:
[Please note cross-posts.]

Move over, Busby Berekely and Cecil B. de Mille for Zhang Yimou who
has surpassed your vision and casts of thousands. I think the combined
opening and closing ceremonies of the Beijing Olympics are a show that
won't be surpassed during the lifetime of anyone living today. I
further believe that English needs to steal a new word to describe
what we saw.

I have prepared a an adjusted ranking of the top 23 medal-winning
countries that might be available this time tomorrow. Jamaica is
Number One, the USA 19, and China last.

Question for Ike -- Why do you cross post? Does it serve a special
purpose other than saving you time? Methinks, unless my recollection
is wrong, in the recent past you are the only, or one of the few,
regular r.a.d contributor who so does.

Miki
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:20 PM posted to rec.arts.dance,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.caribbean
memiki

On Aug 25, 1:07*pm, Mike O'Sullivan wrote:
memiki wrote:

Hi Alan -- I never met an Australian I didn't like....

Cheers, Miki, USA

You're not an England cricket supporter then!

Not exactly ......but I understand when an emotional fan is driven
to physical expression.....been there......done that! NBA Lakers vs
Celtics -- somewhere in the eighties!

Miki