International Driver's License

Old September 17th, 2009, 05:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
singlemalt

Default International Driver's License

How essential is it that we have this license to drive around France. We
have made several trips to Europe before and rented a car and never did get
one. I feel, this time, like I might be pushing my luck. Any comments,
opinions welcome. Thanks, J.

Old September 17th, 2009, 05:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

singlemalt wrote on Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:02:09 -0500:

How essential is it that we have this license to drive around France.
We have made several trips to Europe before and rented
a car and never did get one. I feel, this time, like I might
be pushing my luck. Any comments, opinions welcome. Thanks, J.

I got one once, in 1963, but never needed to produce it anywhere in
Europe nor also during trips every 2 or 3 years. Perhaps, if I'd had a
traffic accident it might have needed it, but all I ever had was a
parking ticket in Thun, Switzerland and I ignored that. I have heard it
suggested that you are more likely to have to produce one in Italy or
places that don't use the Roman alphabet like Greece but I've never been
to the last.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old September 17th, 2009, 06:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mikeos

singlemalt wrote:
How essential is it that we have this license to drive around France. We
have made several trips to Europe before and rented a car and never did get
one. I feel, this time, like I might be pushing my luck. Any comments,
opinions welcome. Thanks, J.

No legal requirement. All it is is just a copy of your legal driving
license, so you might just as well just take your home license.
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Joe Pessarra

"James Silverton" wrote in message
singlemalt wrote on Thu, 17 Sep 2009 11:02:09 -0500:

How essential is it that we have this license to drive around France. We
have made several trips to Europe before and rented
a car and never did get one. I feel, this time, like I might
be pushing my luck. Any comments, opinions welcome. Thanks, J.

I got one once, in 1963, but never needed to produce it anywhere in Europe
nor also during trips every 2 or 3 years. Perhaps, if I'd had a traffic
accident it might have needed it, but all I ever had was a parking ticket
in Thun, Switzerland and I ignored that. I have heard it suggested that
you are more likely to have to produce one in Italy or places that don't
use the Roman alphabet like Greece but I've never been to the last.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Rick Steves' site at http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/carrental_2005.htm
has the following:

"Your American or Canadian driver's license is all you need in most European
countries. An international driving permit (IDP) provides a translation of
your license - making it easier for the cop to write out the ticket. Exactly
where you need a permit depends on whom you talk to. People who sell them
say you should have them almost everywhere. People who rent cars say you
need them almost nowhere (except in Spain and Italy, where you may be
required to show the permit to pick up your car). People who drive rental
cars say the permit is overrated (but it comes in handy as a substitute for
a passport at places such as campgrounds and bike-rental shops that require
some kind of photo ID as a security deposit until you pay). Police can get
mad - their concern is in finding the expiration date - and fine you if you
don't have an international permit. Those driving in Spain, Italy, Austria,
Germany, Greece, and Eastern Europe are likely to be fined if found without
an international driving permit, and should get one (at your local American
Automobile Association or Canadian Automobile Association office - $15 plus
the cost of two passport-type photos). You must carry your American or
Canadian driver's license as well as your international permit."

I have been to Europe (England, Ireland, Germany, Czech Republic, Italy,
Austria) and driven rental cars without an International Driver's License.
Never any problem, even when involved in an auto accident in Germany.
However, it sounds like it might be a good idea to get the international
driving permit.

Have a great trip.

Joe in Texas

Old September 17th, 2009, 06:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Joe Pessarra

"singlemalt" wrote in message
m...
How essential is it that we have this license to drive around France. We
have made several trips to Europe before and rented a car and never did
get one. I feel, this time, like I might be pushing my luck. Any comments,
opinions welcome. Thanks, J.

Here is another site with some more info.
http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/...ing-permit.htm

Joe in Texas

Old September 17th, 2009, 07:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dave Smith

singlemalt wrote:
How essential is it that we have this license to drive around France. We
have made several trips to Europe before and rented a car and never did get
one. I feel, this time, like I might be pushing my luck. Any comments,
opinions welcome. Thanks, J.

An International Drivers Licence isn't really a drivers license. It is
just a translation of your licence and class. I had one the first time I
rented a car there, but I was not asked for it. I was asked only for my
regular Ontario licence.
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Hagley

You don't need one. You can drive on your US driver's license. I am
assuming you live in the US?

Mike Hagley

Old September 18th, 2009, 08:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Thu, 17 Sep 2009 14:09:39 -0400 schrieb Dave Smith:

singlemalt wrote:
How essential is it that we have this license to drive around France. We
have made several trips to Europe before and rented a car and never did get
one. I feel, this time, like I might be pushing my luck. Any comments,
opinions welcome. Thanks, J.

An International Drivers Licence isn't really a drivers license. It is
just a translation of your licence and class.

Exactly. And once your local licence is written in english it should be not
problem to use you local licence only, as police-men or car-rental-staff
can read it.

An international licence is a good idea when your local licence is in a
language that is not understood in the country you travel.

Regards,

Frank
Old September 18th, 2009, 08:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"singlemalt" wrote in message
m...
How essential is it that we have this license to drive around France. We
have made several trips to Europe before and rented a car and never did
get one. I feel, this time, like I might be pushing my luck. Any comments,
opinions welcome. Thanks, J.

For trips of less than 90 days, you can drive in France on a valid US
driving licence. An international driving permit, or other translation of
your licence, is recommended, but not required. Personally, were my licence
not already translated - it is an EU licence - I would carry a translation.
It is cheap and it would be foolish to assume that a French police traffic
officer is going to be able to read English. While the chances are that you
won't need the translation, if you do get stopped for any reason, not having
one could cause needless delays.

Colin Bignell

Old September 18th, 2009, 08:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
nightjar

"Frank Hucklenbroich" wrote in message
Exactly. And once your local licence is written in english it should be
not
problem to use you local licence only, as police-men or car-rental-staff
can read it....

In France? The car rental staff, yes. Police, probably not, unless you are
in a tourist area. Even in Paris, when I had to report a theft, there was no
one in the Police station who spoke English (or spoke it well enough to
admit it), which rather tested my French.

Colin Bignell