PCH (CA1) in March

Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default PCH (CA1) in March

"Graham Harrison" wrote
in message ...
If you were going to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles during late
March where would you stop? I'm thinking of taking in Pinnacles as
well.

My first thoughts were Day 1 drive to Monterrey
We've been to Monterey before and done the 17 mile drive and the
aquarium.

http://gocalif.ca.gov/region.php?key=central_coast

So how about Pacific Grove instead ... lots of nice B&B's on the water.
( they are not on the ocean side of street ( sheer drop) but across the
street - water VIEWS from some rooms)
Last time we stayed he
http://www.pginns.com/index.html
Very nice - comfortable - definitely NOT cheap.
or maybe he
http://www.bigsurcalifornia.org/lodging.html

For cheap, I stay in Seaside ( next town to Monterey).
here 's a link I had saved:
http://maps.google.com/maps?near=211...&t=h&z=16&om=0

Across from Roberts Lake ( a big puddle) there is a Doubletree/Holiday
Inn/ Comfort Inn right off Highway 1 south . Eat at the Monterey Fish
House on Del Monte Ave- see past postings for recommendations by me and a
LOT of others. It used to be ' Bring your own alcohol' . ??
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...alifornia.html

Day 2 day trip to Pinnacles returning to Monterrey for the night but I'm
wondering if staying night 1 in Soledad might be a better bet.

Day 3 wander down the PCH to San Simeon. It seems to be about a 2 and
a half hour drive so we can do that in the morning, have lunch and then
book a Hearst Castle visit for the PM. Spend the night in San Simeon
or move on to San Luis Obispo?

There is a Best Western "Cavalier" across the street from San Simeon.
Excellent - on the water. Firepits out back to sit at night ( March will
be cool so cuddle). Excellent restaurant there - basic food - done very
well. AND... the apple pie is the BEST I have ever had (Trust me I know
my desserts... and I stop there every spring to get it) so save room for
dessert ( or get some to go). Reasonable prices. Can you tell so far - I
can tell you where to get a good meal ?!!!

Day 4 I was then thinking of a night in Santa Barbara before finishing
in Santa Monica on day 5 for a couple of nights before flying back to
the UK.

http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/3...tabarbara.html
Used to be a big Best Western on the water. Prices in that town can vary a
whole lot so check first.

So, all pretty relaxed. We're not gourmets or inclined to stay in
really upmarket places. Best Western is about our level.

I plan to visit Travel Town and the miniture railway in Griffith Park in
Los Angeles (even if Santa Monica isn't *the* most convnient location
for that.

We'll pick the car up the day we leave San Francisco - Muni will do
while we are in the city.

Total trip time including time in San Francisco and Los Angeles is 11
nights.

Questions:

I'm tempted to stay around Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco. When
we've visited previously we've stayed with family in San Mateo/Foster
City but we fancy the city this time. I've seen adverts for B and B on
some of the boats moored in the wharf area - anyone ever used them? If
we went for one of the chain hotels down there anyone got preferences?
Any other suggestions?

Do eat at Scoma's - on the water - very good seafood.
I've stayed at several hotel chains - each at end of wharf- down near
Ghiradelli's. Not cheap - average rooms. Nothing memorable.

Stopping places other than those I've outlined. We like
gardens/landscapes, hiking, railways (tourist/steam and modern and I
already know about the Roaring Camp and its' neighbour down to Santa
Cruz), airplane museums (is the one just south of Foster City still
open? and I've been to Moffett). I'm thinking maybe somewhere just to
sit and contemplate the ocean, or a short hike to the ocean. If anyone
knows the Fish Market on Norfolk in San Mateo are there any places like
that en route?

Not familiar with Norfolk, but just south of Carmel . as Hwy 1 bends to
the left, there is a hotel up a sharp -turn driveway .. nice place to
watch the sunset. Then back to your hotel . NEXT day start the Big Sur
drive.

On the way to San Simeone, stop at Nepenthe on the right hand side of Hwy
one for lunch/drinks. As with Pebble Beach, if EARLY in day, views will be
foggy, so ask at hotel .. how long to get there ? ... you want to arrive
at 12 noon or a bit later and on a clear ( brisk) day, sit outside and
have a coffee/drink/lunch. Enjot the views. ( I think it use to be owned
by Orson Wells ).

In general,
http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/3.../2006/sanfran/
http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/3...tabarbara.html
pick your city from left column for "things to not miss". Notes are inthe
right column.
Also note - some of the articles ARE dated, so check before making
concrete plans.
I have a lot of area travel books that I bought at national bookstores ..
look there for more specific ideas.

Bobb

Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_2_]

If you were going to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles during late
March where would you stop? I'm thinking of taking in Pinnacles as well.

My first thoughts were Day 1 drive to Monterrey
Day 2 day trip to Pinnacles returning to Monterrey for the night but I'm
wondering if staying night 1 in Soledad might be a better bet. We've been
to Monterrey before and done the 17 mile drive and the aquarium. We've
also been to Santa Cruz so on day 1 I was thinking of being pretty lazy and
just going 101 all the way to Soledad. If we spend night 1 in Soledad then
next day go to Pinnacles and then to Monterrey for the night.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_2_]

Graham wrote on Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:30:34 -0000:

GH My first thoughts were Day 1 drive to Monterrey

I've never done the drive so I have no serious suggestions to
offer but you intrigued me with your subject title. It's
apparent from the text that "PCH" is "Pacific Coast Highway" and
"CA1", California Route 1 but I'd not seen them described your
way :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Graham Harrison[_2_]

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Graham wrote on Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:30:34 -0000:

GH My first thoughts were Day 1 drive to Monterrey

I've never done the drive so I have no serious suggestions to offer but
you intrigued me with your subject title. It's apparent from the text that
"PCH" is "Pacific Coast Highway" and "CA1", California Route 1 but I'd not
seen them described your way :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Marketing is everything!

Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Graham Harrison wrote:
"James Silverton" wrote in message
Graham wrote on Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:30:34 -0000:
GH My first thoughts were Day 1 drive to Monterrey

I've never done the drive so I have no serious suggestions to offer but
you intrigued me with your subject title. It's apparent from the text that
"PCH" is "Pacific Coast Highway" and "CA1", California Route 1 but I'd not
seen them described your way :-)

Marketing is everything!

Timing is everything.

You had bettter hope that the rains don't wash the Big Sur road away.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:51:46 GMT, "James Silverton"
wrote:

Graham wrote on Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:30:34 -0000:

GH My first thoughts were Day 1 drive to Monterrey

I've never done the drive so I have no serious suggestions to
offer but you intrigued me with your subject title. It's
apparent from the text that "PCH" is "Pacific Coast Highway" and
"CA1", California Route 1 but I'd not seen them described your
way :-)

Not to mention that only a small portion of CA-1 is denoted
"Pacific Coast Highway". In fact, unless he travels on CA-1 down
through Malibu and Santa Monica, he'll never be on the PCH at
all.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 07:57 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Graham Harrison wrote:
If you were going to drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles during late
March where would you stop? I'm thinking of taking in Pinnacles as well.

OK.
Pinnacles can be nice. I used to go climbing there(better rock else
where). Depends what you want to see and do.

My first thoughts were Day 1 drive to Monterey

OK. Avoid 1 and 101 rush hour from where ever you start in SF.
It's not a long drive.

Day 2 day trip to Pinnacles returning to Monterrey for the night but I'm
wondering if staying night 1 in Soledad might be a better bet.

Not many motels in Soledad. Those that are there are there for a reason
(visitors for the near by infamous prison).

We've been
to Monterrey before and done the 17 mile drive and the aquarium. We've
also been to Santa Cruz so on day 1 I was thinking of being pretty lazy and
just going 101 all the way to Soledad. If we spend night 1 in Soledad then
next day go to Pinnacles and then to Monterrey for the night.

Consider the Steinbeck Center in Salinas. Maybe his home. Read up on
some of his works before hand. Realize that many of those personalities
still exist.

Many things to do in Monterey. And Carmel. Some require boats.

Day 3 wander down the PCH to San Simeon. It seems to be about a 2 and a
half hour drive so we can do that in the morning, have lunch and then book a
Hearst Castle visit for the PM. Spend the night in San Simeon or move on
to San Luis Obispo?

2.5 hours is optimistic unless you get up early. But I am not into that
kind of tourist place. I merely live here.

Day 4 I was then thinking of a night in Santa Barbara before finishing in
Santa Monica on day 5 for a couple of nights before flying back to the UK.

It all depends what you want to do here.

So, all pretty relaxed. We're not gourmets or inclined to stay in really
upmarket places. Best Western is about our level.

I plan to visit Travel Town and the miniture railway in Griffith Park in Los
Angeles (even if Santa Monica isn't *the* most convnient location for that.

The observatory is good after watching something like the start of
Terminator or the first episode of Mission: Impossible.

I'm tempted to stay around Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco. When we've
visited previously we've stayed with family in San Mateo/Foster City but we
fancy the city this time. I've seen adverts for B and B on some of the
boats moored in the wharf area - anyone ever used them? If we went for one
of the chain hotels down there anyone got preferences? Any other
suggestions?

Depends where you want to go on the ferries or tours. I've also had my
own boats. A meal on one might be fun. Sailing under the Golden Gate
in 10 foot swells is impressive on a small craft.

Stopping places other than those I've outlined. We like
gardens/landscapes, hiking, railways (tourist/steam and modern and I already
know about the Roaring Camp and its' neighbour down to Santa Cruz), airplane
museums (is the one just south of Foster City still open? and I've been to

Hiller: yes.
Moffett). I'm thinking maybe somewhere just to sit and contemplate the
ocean, or a short hike to the ocean. If anyone knows the Fish Market on
Norfolk in San Mateo are there any places like that en route?

The Fish Market is a chain and can be found else where.
There is also Hobbie Alder's Charthouse chain.
Douglas Adams fell in love with the Enterprise Fish Company in Santa
Barbara which appears in So Long and Thanks for All the Fish.

Also, Ventura and Channel Islands.
Rincon and surfing.

There is a PBS TV series titled California's Gold by Huell Howser which
has a web site with programs on small obscure historic bits of CA.
Howser has more than enough for 11 days.

Right now the big problem is the winter flooding hitting Santa Maria.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

[...]

I would look at Salinas for lodging. Is about 25 miles and better choice
than Soledad. Soledad is really a state prison town. So the motels there
will be catering to familys of the Graybar Hotel.

If into air museums, there is one at the Oakland Airport also. You can take
Bart to Oakland and then a taxi over to the museum. There is a Bart Shuttle
bus to the airport, but I think it just goes to the terminals which are a
fair distance from the museum and at $2 a person, you will be close to a
taxi cost.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 09:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Todd Michel McComb

In article ,
Calif Bill wrote:
I would look at Salinas for lodging. Is about 25 miles and better
choice than Soledad. Soledad is really a state prison town. So
the motels there will be catering to familys of the Graybar Hotel.

Soledad certainly isn't a fabulous vacation destination, but let's
not get carried away. I've stayed there, at the Best Western. It
was perfectly acceptable. Dining and entertainment are more limited
than in a larger place, such as Salinas, but Salinas isn't exactly
Monterey either.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
TheNewsGuy(Mike)

Graham Harrison wrote:
Day 3 wander down the PCH to San Simeon.

You might enjoy staying at the Best Western Fireside Inn on Moonstone
Beach when visiting San Simeon area or Hearst castle? We enjoyed our
stay there.

--
Sawyer Nicknames

Seinfeld Trivia, Lists, and Scripts