Thailand trip

Old November 5th, 2003, 06:01 PM
me

Default Thailand trip

(Miguel Cruz) wrote in message ...
The Man wrote:
(Miguel Cruz) wrote:
Likewise, the state police request that you not drive 57 in a 55 mile per
hour zone.

Ahh so you must be one of the morons who check in 10 mins before
departure and make the plane late for everyone

Maybe twice in the past few years I've been the last person on the plane,
and they weren't international flights (just Southwest 1-hour hops).

Fact is there's just a whole lot of sitting around in the departure lounge
to look forward to if you get there that early.

[snip]

It's actually been getting quicker for me internationally that pre 9-11.
I used to budget 2- 3 hours before international flights out of major
airports. On more than one occasion, I've used it all. Nominally,
these days, getting there 2 hours is an assurance that you'll get
through in about 20 minutes. The hard part is having the kahoonahs to
do something like Miguel is talking about. There is this weird sorta
curve you experience. As the flight approaches, the time it takes
gets longer, more folks are arriving and checking in. Then, at some
point, folks stop arriving and it actually takes LESS time.

Now it is very airport and time of day dependent. For example,
on some airlines, like Virgin out of MCO for example, they only
have a couple of flights a day. However, BA out of Gatwick may
have a boat load. So you can find yourself in line with a bunch
of folks whose flights leave after yours.

One of the bigger risks you actually run is with checked luggage.
They need a finite amount of time to get your luggage through and
onto the plane. If you aren't on it, they have to take your luggage
off, but under some circumstances, if you're on it, but your luggagge
isn't, they can still leave. So arriving late might get you on
the plane, but your luggage won't. Miguel travels almost exclusively
with carry on so this isn't an issue for him.

Domestically I had an odd experience. I went up to get through
security, and we practically walked straight through. We were there
3 hours early (went to the airport with folks leaving earlier). I
got stopped at security because I had forgotten to remove my pocket
knife. I had to go back and mail it to myself. When I returned about
10 minutes later, there was a HUGE line at security. Half hour
later, you could walk straight through again.

Airports experience surges, the smaller, the bigger the impact
of the surges. If you are familar with the airport, and their surges,
you can easily show up with in the hour of your departure and
still get on your plane. In some cases, even when your wrong,
the airline will tend to work with you to get you on (unless they
are heavily overbooked, then you may have effectively just "volunteered"
to be bumped).
Old November 5th, 2003, 07:55 PM
mrtravel

The Man wrote:
Ahh so you must be one of the morons who check in 10 mins before
departure and make the plane late for everyone

Nonsense.. Many airlines REQUIRE you to be at the GATE 15 or 20 minutes
before departure. The only time I have not made this is when I was
connecting and the first flight arrived late. Then, they usually let
you board. If you want to be safe and arrive at the airport, fine.
But there is NO way I am showing up at 5AM for a 7AM Saturday flight to
SNA. If I miss the required time to be at the gate, it is not your
problem. If he checks in 10 minutes before flight time, and he was
required to be at the gate 20 minutes before, then he will be denied
boarding. I suspect the cause of planes departing late because of late
arriving passengers is usually do to connections or abnormal security
delays.

Old November 5th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Miguel Cruz

me wrote:
There is this weird sorta curve you experience. As the flight approaches,
the time it takes gets longer, more folks are arriving and checking in.
Then, at some point, folks stop arriving and it actually takes LESS time.

Exactly. This is especially true with foreign airlines (i.e., airlines who
not based in the country you're flying from). They usually have lulls
between flights, so if you arrive after the rush, say 45 minutes prior,
you'll often have zero waiting.

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:05 PM
Wah Shizzle

On 5 Nov 2003 11:55:53 -0800, (Tchiowa) wrote:

It is not required in Bangkok. The New Jersey shape-shifter is just
trying to pick fights.

Bwahahahhahahahaaa!!!!!!!!!

shape-shifter?

Is that after I bitch slap you John........

LOL