Best Beach in St Thomas to relax on

Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
Jane

Default Best Beach in St Thomas to relax on

I'll vote for this one too. It's Touristy in the middle, but if you

wander
down to either side, it's fairly deserted. National Geographic called it
one of the 10 best beaches in the world. The only problem is it's so

great,
you may forget you have to go back, so keep an eye on the time.

Add my vote in, we were just married in February on this beach, it's
absolutely beautiful.

Jane

Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:59 PM
Charles

In article , Tom &
Linda wrote:

My favorite beach in the world (at least the ones I've seen) is Trunk Bay on
St. John. St. John is a 20 minute ferry ride from the far eastern end (Red
Hook) of St. Thomas. It doesn't get any better. In fact, it's part of the
US National Park system, like Yellowstone and Yosemite.

If you can stand the taxi drivers. Every damm one of them, from the
ship to Red Hook. Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay, Trunk Bay back to Cruz Bay,
Red Hook back to ship, held the cab 20 minutes till full. Moved half
the cab to another cab twice because they want to juggle destinations.
Cab rate is $8 to Red Hook. One tried to charge $10. If you go to
Sapphire Beach or Megans you get another two hours of beach time. Plus
it is only one of those ****ty cabs each way. It's back to Sapphire
Beach next cruise I take that does St.Thomas.

--
Charles
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:36 AM
Bill C

For what you want I would suggest Sapphire Beach.
Make sure you feed the iguanas while there too.

Bill

"Finz Up" wrote in message
I am going on my first cruise on Friday. One of the stops is St. Thomas,
we'll be there from 7AM-6PM. My husband and I are true beach bums and
want to find a fabulous beach that isn't packed wall to wall with
tourists. Our needs are simple, a beach bar, someplace to grab lunch and
maybe a chair rental. Beautiful sand and clear blue water is what we're
after. Does anyone know of any fab beaches on St. Thomas that we should
consider? Thanks in advance.

--
Maybe it's all too simple, for our big brains to figure out...
What if the hokey pokey is really what it's all about? JB

Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:46 AM
Howie

Charles wrote:

In article , Tom &
Linda wrote:

My favorite beach in the world (at least the ones I've seen) is Trunk Bay on
St. John. St. John is a 20 minute ferry ride from the far eastern end (Red
Hook) of St. Thomas. It doesn't get any better. In fact, it's part of the
US National Park system, like Yellowstone and Yosemite.

If you can stand the taxi drivers. Every damm one of them, from the
ship to Red Hook. Cruz Bay to Trunk Bay, Trunk Bay back to Cruz Bay,
Red Hook back to ship, held the cab 20 minutes till full. Moved half
the cab to another cab twice because they want to juggle destinations.
Cab rate is $8 to Red Hook. One tried to charge $10.

I hate that. A couple of cruises back, I decided that any cabbie who
makes me wait until he is absolutely full, is not receiving any tip from
me. In Tortola there were 10 of us in a cab. The driver waited 1/2
hour to pick up number 11, even though we all promised to stiff him. He
lost out big time by waiting.

Howie

Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:50 AM
Tom & Linda

"Howie" wrote in message
Charles wrote:

In article , Tom &
Linda wrote:

[...]

I know that the reason they have the large vans is to reduce the number of
vehicles on the roads in the USVI.

While I don't know for certain... I'm just guessing... but it's possible
that they may be required to give it their best shot to wait to fill the
taxis.

--Tom

Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:56 AM
Howie

Don't think that was the case, Tom. But gasoline is very expensive, so
I can understand why they would try to be as full as possible.
Nevertheless, waiting a half hour for number 11, when the van is already
completely stuffed with 10, is not acceptable.

Howie

Tom & Linda wrote:

"Howie" wrote in message

Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:57 AM
Howie

Bill C wrote:

For what you want I would suggest Sapphire Beach.
Make sure you feed the iguanas while there too.

They are especially fond of toes

Howie

Bill

Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:46 AM
HDawson228

My vote is for Trunk Bay. Pure Paradise. The most pristine you're going to
find anywhere. Two thirds of St John is national park so commercial
developement is very limited. TRunk Bay has changing/shower facilities and a
small snack bar. Also you can rent snorkle equip for $4 I think. There is an
underwater snorkle trail with placques on the bottom describing the fish, coral
and fauna that you see. The taxi drivers are all very good at requests to stop
for pic taking. They are very proud of their USVI and it's beauty.
http://www.usvi.net/usvi/stj.html
http://www.usvi.net/usvi/ferry.htm

Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:55 AM
Thomas Smith

Head over to Trunk Bay on Saint John. To get there, take a taxi to Red
Hook, a ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay, and a taxi from Cruz Bay to Trunk
Bay. The beach is in the Virgin Islands National Park and has a snack bar,
gift shop, and a shop where you can rent beach chairs or snorkeling
equipment. There is an underwater snorkeling trail that you can access from
shore. For more information, you can go to http://www.nps.gov/viis/.

Tom Smith

Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:14 AM
Steve Kim

Hi,
I have been to Magan's Bay and Sapphire Beach. Both are beautiful.
If you want to have a great time I would suggest going downtown to the
shopping district as son as you get off the ship. About $3 Taxi ride per
person. You will be dropped off near the straw market. Look for a
driver named Timothy. For about $15/person he will give you a tour of
the Island along with a couple hours beach time at either of these
beaches or another one which I can't remember the name of. The best
money you will ever spend. Timothy is a clean cut well groomed Black
gentleman, very well spoken, about mid 30's? and on your tour will give
you several stops for photos and island history. The good thing is you
don't pay until he brings you safely back to the ship. MUCH less
expensive than the ship's excursions even with a generous tip. If you
have any questions please feel free to reply. I'll be happy to give you
some advice. My wife and I will be taking our 4th cruise with the kids
this year. You won't find a better vacation for your money.

Kind regards,
Steve