Warning: Buying Prescription Drugs in Mexico

Old December 12th, 2004, 11:55 AM
George Leppla

"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM wrote

DRUG PENALTIES AND PRESCRIPTION MEDICATIONS: Penalties for drug offenses
are
strict, and convicted offenders can expect large fines and jail sentences
up
to 25 years. The purchase of controlled medication requires a prescription
from a licensed Mexican physician.

It should be noted that many medicines that are controlled here in the US
are NOT controlled in Mexico and are perfectly safe to buy. Things like
Nexium, Glucotrol and other diabetes meds, many blood pressure meds,
antibiotics, and things like topical hyrocortisone ointments are legal to
buy over the counter in Mexico WITHOUT any prescription of any kind.

But if you are buying meds that need a prescription in Mexico, you damn sure
ought to have one.

--
George in PA http://www.countryside-travel.com

The Mother of All Group Cruises http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com
Miracle in May - http://www.cruisemaster.com/miracle.htm
September - Triumph Canada/NE - http://www.cruisemaster.com/carnivalFall.htm
October - Princess Caribbean http://www.cruisemaster.com/caribprin.htm

Old December 16th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Bob and Lynn Hidley

I contacted the author of the newspaper article I referenced in my post for
more clarification. I asked her about buying drugs with either an American
doctor's Rx, a Mexican doctor's Rx or no Rx at all. Her reply:
"Mexican law and drug policy are carried out differently, in different
places. It is, I'm afraid, a crapshoot for Americans. What I DO know is that
quantity is the big issue - some say the cutoff is over 100 pills. That's
what can get you in trouble, whether you bought them in the U.S. and carried
them over, or whether you bought them in Mexico. If caught with large
quantities, you MUST be able to show a Mexican doctor's prescription. Same
with purchases. If you buy prescription drugs in Mexico, the
law is clear that you must have a Mexican doctor's prescription. The trouble
with that is there are plenty of farmacias who will gladly sell them to
you - then you're on your own, if you're busted. Which could well happen.
It's been shown that a few really corrupt operations will tip off police or
accomplices to your "cargo" and come arrest you, then try to shake you down
for money. That's been documented. I hope I answered your questions." Marjie
Lundstrom, Sacramento Bee