google - directions

Old March 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default google - directions

I was using Google maps for directions on a road trip from Boston - Miami
and back and was puzzled by this: anyone played with it to know the
answers ?

1. How to stop it from recalculating directions every time you do anything
? When you do ADD a stop, you can only ADD to the bottom. So must add it,
it recalculates, then if did not want it at the end you move it up, it
recalculates. If you have to scroll up to move it again , it recalculates.
So sometimes it showed me as driving from Boston-Washington DC - Miami -
Naples - Savannah - Orlando- until I moved Orlando to be after Naples -
it redid the unneeded directions from Savannah to Orlando to the correct
path from Naples to Orlando - a big waste of time: mine and Google's. That
happened a lot, as the weather was "iffy" for me.

I'd like a mode to have it to "Pause", so that I can enter all my stops -
or REarrange exisiting ones as I like and THEN click to have it "get
directions". Is there something onscreen that I'm missing?

2. With Google Maps you can drag the path from its default to "where you'd
like to stop" and it will recalcualte a path for you. BUT what if you only
want to change the path for one direction of a round-trip?
Imagine driving Boston- Wash Dc down and on way back still going from Wash
Dc to Boston but would like to take a different route - nothing special so
I don't have a town name - maybe just a route number. On the screen it's
the same path, so how to drag ONE leg of that ?
I cheated and added a stop town name but would like to " drag /change /
done" if possible.
And ( as above) when I added that stop - it gave directions from Wash Dc
to there and there to Boston.
I then moved it to be between Wash and Boston so I could get correct
directions.

Old March 5th, 2008, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

As best as I can tell from their directions in the "Help" section, a
new destination is always placed at the bottom of the list (the last
stop). You can then change it to a different position by dragging it.
Don't think there's any way to "pause" recalculation.

When I try it, Google recalculates the route very quickly, so I doubt
if this is a problem for most users. But I suppose it could be
annoying when planning long, multi-stop trips.

There are several websites that contain tips & tools for Google Maps,
such as http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/. It's possible you'd
find some useful info there.

Old March 5th, 2008, 02:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

BUT what if you only want to change the path
for one direction of a round-trip?
.... how to drag ONE leg of that ?

It might might easier just to create 2 separate maps.

But if you want the entire roundtrip on one map, first create the leg
that will have the unusual route, and manipulate that route however
you wish. Then have it add the other leg. Or just use the method you
mentioned.
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

wrote in message
As best as I can tell from their directions in the "Help" section, a
new destination is always placed at the bottom of the list (the last
stop). You can then change it to a different position by dragging it.
Don't think there's any way to "pause" recalculation.

When I try it, Google recalculates the route very quickly, so I doubt
if this is a problem for most users. But I suppose it could be
annoying when planning long, multi-stop trips.

There are several websites that contain tips & tools for Google Maps,
such as http://googlemapsmania.blogspot.com/. It's possible you'd
find some useful info there.

Thanks I'll check that out

BTW, I cut/pasted my previous post to Google feedback