London to Rome, Milan to London

Old January 4th, 2008, 07:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stu

Default London to Rome, Milan to London

I'm looking for suggestions. My wife and I will be at Heathrow early
in the morning of April 2 and we need to get to Rome by the morning of
the third. I assume flying is the best way - get there the evening of
the 2nd.

On the 10th we will be in Milan with an open itenerary until the 15th
when we will depart from Heathrow. My wife has never been to Paris so
I thought of taking the train there then train or plane to London.

I'd appreciate any ideas on transportation, places to see and places
to stay from Milan to London. We're somewhat adventuresome and budget
minded. Thanks in advance.
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mimi

"Stu" wrote in message
I'm looking for suggestions. My wife and I will be at Heathrow early
in the morning of April 2 and we need to get to Rome by the morning of
the third. I assume flying is the best way - get there the evening of
the 2nd.

On the 10th we will be in Milan with an open itenerary until the 15th
when we will depart from Heathrow. My wife has never been to Paris so
I thought of taking the train there then train or plane to London.

I'd appreciate any ideas on transportation, places to see and places
to stay from Milan to London. We're somewhat adventuresome and budget
minded. Thanks in advance.

I'd fly from Milan Linate to Orly with Easyjet, then take the Eurostar to
London. Is the UK home or are you flying out of Heathrow? If the latter, you
have to allow time to get from St. Pancras Station to Heathrow. This may
require a night in London if you have an early flight. So if you are flying
out of Heathrow, maybe a flight from Paris to LHR.

Marianne

Old January 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
michaelj

On Jan 3, 11:20*pm, Stu wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions. My wife and I will be at Heathrow early
in the morning of April 2 and we need to get to Rome by the morning of
the third. I assume flying is the best way - get there the evening of
the 2nd.

On the 10th we will be in Milan with an open itenerary until the 15th
when we will depart from Heathrow. My wife has never been to Paris so
I thought of taking the train there then train or plane to London.

I'd appreciate any ideas on transportation, places to see and places
to stay from Milan to London. We're somewhat adventuresome and budget
minded. Thanks in advance.

Stu,

Some suggestions. I would say fly directly to Rome and get a night
there, especially if you're supposed to be there in the morning. You
don't say what you're doing in Italy, but since you have specific
dates and times, I might guess a tour that ends in Milan, though
doesn't matter.

Milan to Paris

For Milan to Paris to London with about five days. You could fly from
Milan to Paris or take a Night Train direct to Paris. But if you
wanted to stop and see some in-between country a couple of options
come to mnd. Take a night train from Milano Centrale to Dijon Ville.
It leaves at 11:30 (so you can enjoy Milan into the evening) and
arrives at around 6 am - $450 for two (Trentalia) in a sleeper (sounds
expensive but you're saving on a hotel night).

Night Trains
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/E...ight_Train.htm

In Dijon rent a car for a day or two and tour locally around the
Burgundy Wine country along the Route Grand Crus, see some chateaus,
then return at Dijon and take the train. Or without the car, see Dijon
and take a train or bus tour side trip to Beaune or Tournus. Then TGV
from Dijon to Paris $112 for two reserved first class (RailEurope). Or
instead of the night train to Dijon, you could take the same route
with a day train from Milan via Lausanne, Switzerland, maybe stop for
a few hours in Lake Como before crossing the border or in Lausanne and
get to Dijon in the evening (its about 6 hours straight through).

Dijon Rail Convenient Hotels
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...s_Rail_TGV.htm
Route Gran Crus
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/F...r_Burgundy.htm

If you rented a car you could also drive to Paris instead of the
train. Driving straight from Dijon to Paris is about 4 hours. You can
easily make it in a full day including with side stops, see some
chateaus. Or the Abbey at Fontenay. Or make it a two day trip and stay
a night at Leslie Caron's "Owls Nest Auberge" in Villenueve-sur-Yonne
between Auxerre and Sens. Then could cut over to Fontainebleau for the
palace, before heading into Paris.

Auberge La Lucarne aux Chouettes Villenueve-sur-Yonne
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...Burgundy.ht m
Fontainebleau
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...u_Napoleon.htm
Abbey Fontenay and following the Seine
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/F...e_Burgundy.htm

If you did feel courageous enough to drive to Paris, take country
roads a much as possible to save the tolls on the autoroutes. Get a
Hertz at Dijon Gare and drop off at the Louvre Carousel, (parking
garage undeneath the Louvre), easiest to find, just drive straight
into the city center from the A4, takes you along the south bank of
the Seine, cross-over at the Pont de la Concorde, double back on Quai
Tulleries and look for the garage entrance. It's very difficult to
find a gas station in Paris so if you don't buy the full tank option,
get gas (or better diesel, but don't get them confused) as close
outside the city on the autoroute as you can or you'll get charged for
less than a full tank, even then the desk guy will say you're only
"7/8ths" full (he knows how hard it is to find gas in the city), argue
if its on the mark.

Opera-Louvre Hotels
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...tels_Paris.htm
Louvre
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/F...The_Louvre.htm

Paris to London

You could take the Eurostar from Paris to London, but you kill most of
a day and trying to get from St. Pancras through London to Heathrow is
a bit of a hassle and not cheap, unless you're actually planning to
see the city. Tube from Kings Cross to Paddington and Paddington
Express to Heathrow. Or tube all the way (with bags).

Eurostar
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...ndon_Paris.htm
Fly, Drive or Train
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/Fly_Drive_Rail.htm

I'd suggest flying straight to Heathrow to catch a same-day connection
to your flight home, about 70 Euro apiece on British Airways. If you
stay in the Opera-Louvre area in Paris, you can take the Roissy Bus
from next to the Opera Garnier direct to Charles DeGaulle (easiest/
cheapest at about 8 Euro, no advance ticket needed, just get on and
pay the driver) for a flight to Heathrow. The bus runs early in case
to have to transfer to an early connection

Old January 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008 13:42:24 -0800, "Mimi" wrote:

"Stu" wrote in message
[...]

There are direct EC/TGV trains from Milan to Paris, about a seven
hour trip. I think this would be nicer and more interesting than
a flight even if seven hojurs is just a bit long to be on even a
TGV.

Old January 5th, 2008, 06:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Stu

Default London to Rome, Milan to London - Update

On Jan 4, 1:48*pm, michaelj wrote:
On Jan 3, 11:20*pm, Stu wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions. My wife and I will be at Heathrow early
in the morning of April 2 and we need to get to Rome by the morning of
the third. I assume flying is the best way - get there the evening of
the 2nd.

On the 10th we will be in Milan with an open itenerary until the 15th
when we will depart from Heathrow. My wife has never been to Paris so
I thought of taking the train there then train or plane to London.

I'd appreciate any ideas on transportation, places to see and places
to stay from Milan to London. We're somewhat adventuresome and budget
minded. Thanks in advance.

Thank you Mimi, Hatunen and Michael.

Stu,

Some suggestions. I would say fly directly to Rome and get a night
there, especially if you're supposed to be there in the morning.

Yes, this is what we decided. Bought tickets from Heathrow ($100US
ea.)

You
don't say what you're doing in Italy, but since you have specific
dates and times, I might guess a tour that ends in Milan, though
doesn't matter.

A High School orchestra trip - Rome, Florence and Milan (haven't been
to Milan before).

Milan to Paris

For Milan to Paris to London with about five days. You could fly from
Milan to Paris or *take a Night Train direct to Paris. But if you
wanted to stop and see some in-between country a couple of options
come to mnd. Take a night train from Milano Centrale to Dijon Ville.
It leaves at 11:30 (so you can enjoy Milan into the evening) and
arrives at around 6 am - $450 for two (Trentalia) in a sleeper (sounds
expensive but you're saving on a hotel night).

This is what I want to do. Is that first class? It looks like it's
only $300 for two, restricted, 2nd class at raileurope.com.

However, the wife is longing to see the French Riviera, maybe Nice.

I think we're going to fly from Paris to Heathrow so we don't have to
transfer to the airport.

I'm forwarding the following good stuff to my wife:

Dijon Rail Convenient Hotelshttp://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/07/France_Dijon_Bargain_Hotels_Rai...
Route Gran Crushttp://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/France_Chateau_Marsannay_Wine_Tour...

Auberge La Lucarne aux Chouettes Villenueve-sur-Yonnehttp://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/07/France_Leslie_Caron_Owl_Nest_Ch...
Fontainebleauhttp://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/07/France_Fontainebleau_Chateau_Na...
Abbey Fontenay and following the Seinehttp://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/France_Fontenay_Seine_Burgundy.htm

Opera-Louvre Hotelshttp://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/07/France_Opera_Louvre_Hotels_Pari...
Louvrehttp://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/France_Paris_The_Louvre.htm

Eurostarhttp://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/07/Eurostar_London_Paris.htm

Old January 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON[_2_]

"Stu" wrote in message
arrives at around 6 am - $450 for two (Trentalia) in a sleeper (sounds
expensive but you're saving on a hotel night).

This is what I want to do. Is that first class? It looks like it's
only $300 for two, restricted, 2nd class at raileurope.com.

Have a look at http://www.seat61.com/ for rail travel in Europe. Couchette
berths should be considerably cheaper.

Alan Harrison

Old January 5th, 2008, 10:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
michaelj

On Jan 3, 11:20*pm, Stu wrote:

This is what I want to do. Is that first class? It looks like it's
only $300 for two, restricted, 2nd class at raileurope.com.

However, the wife is longing to see the French Riviera, maybe Nice.

The Trentalia quote was for a private sleeper for two. You can
definately
get cheaper couchettes and berths if price is the issue.

For Nice the train from Milan runs via Genoa and along the Italian
Riviera and the Azur Coast
I'd do that on a day train, about 5 hours to Nice. Then you could do a
night train from there or a day TGV to Paris
about 5-6 hours direct.

You could stay in Nice or for a little smaller town Juan-Les-Pins for
a day or two, get a 2-day local SCNF pass and
take the train to Monaco or Cannes if you want

Start early and the 5 hour legs could be broken up by a stop to look
around for an afternoon somewhere on the way or an overnight. You
could stop along the route in Italy on the coast like Laigueglia or
Ventimiglia. Or on the Paris leg stop at Avignon or Orange for the
Roman Amphitheater and wine.

Nice Rail Convenient Hotels
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/F...y_Hotels. htm
Juan-Les-Pins
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...Cote_Azure.htm
Monaco
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/M...ldi_Palace.htm
Laigueglia Liguria Riviera
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/I...d_del_Mare.htm
Orange
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/0...e_Provence.htm

Old January 6th, 2008, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_11_]

On Jan 3, 11:20 pm, Stu wrote:

[...]

Last time I checked, there were three trains daily from Milan to Nice, a
trip of about 5 hours. "Smart" prices start at about €15, but expect to
pay more.

Try he
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/promozi...art_price.html

http://www.cannes-or-bust.com/
Old January 7th, 2008, 09:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

The Trentalia quote was for a private sleeper for two.

Do not know now with "global prices". The old system allowed to book
either a Double (with first class ticket) or a T2 (with second class
ticket). Singles, Doubles and T3 were in the same compartment, only the
beds are made up differently. Similarly T2 and Special (single) were in
the same compartment, which is smaller but on newer cars. If you do not
mind about small compartments, a T2 is good value for money.

For Nice the train from Milan runs via Genoa and along the Italian
Riviera and the Azur Coast I'd do that on a day train, about 5 hours
to Nice.

AFAIK there are no longer any night trains left on that route (at least
from Milan). Personally I do not regard the route as particularly
interesting (if I were rail-curious I would do
Milan-Turin-Cuneo-Limone-Nice) nor time-effective (we sometimes have
meetings in Marseille or nearby, and going by train from Milan is quite
slow, since we/they go in a bunch of 4-5 I regret to say we usually
drive).

If I'd have to spend time on the Milan-Paris route with some diversions,
I'd prefer to go through Switzerland and make some detours there. Either
main Simplon line via Brig and Geneva and stop somewhere there, or take
Gotthard line to Basel, and do some detours on mountain lines. Or cut
through mountains lines earlier (Goschenen-Andermatt-Brig ?
Luzern-Interlaken and somehow down to Geneva ?). But I like mountains
more than sea.

You could stop along the route in Italy on the coast like Laigueglia
or Ventimiglia.

I spend some 10 days every winter in Laigueglia. Only rather modest
hotels are open in winter, but I do not care. The only real problem with
going there, is that only FEW Regional trains stop in Laigueglia (and
the station is unmanned, and the travel agent in Laigueglia is not
allowed to sell long distance tickets). IC trains stop in Alassio (which
is some 3-4 km before, and is a larger place ... hence Laigueglia is
nicer). There is frequent bus connection (every 20 min weekdays, 30
min on Sundays).

A place even nicer than Laigueglia would be Cervo (two stops further
towards France), but even less trains stop there. And going there from
Laigueglia, if you can't catch a train (which would take less than 10
minutes), is a pain because of the change of province. You could stay in
Andora (the place in between Laigueglia and Cervo), which is a
resort-type mdoernish place. However the station is not so close (not on
the right side of the river) to the hotels. It would be rather pleasant
to WALK across the hills to either Laigueglia or Cervo, and return by
bus. Since Andora is on the province border, buses from both provinces
of Savona and Imperia serve it. Make sure to have the right tickets.

Going from Laigueglia to Cervo is for instance possible in the early
afternoon by train, but there is no train back until after 19:00. By bus
one takes a few minutes from Cervo to Andora (RT bus) but than has to
wait for the SAR bus to Laigueglia. And pay (and find a place selling) a
separate ticket,

Instead all trains stop at Ventimiglia. You are likely to find hotels in
the resort area of the town, while the old centre is on a hill beyond
the river. If you stop there for a day, you could visit either (or
perhaps both) the Hanbury Gardens in La Mortola or the Balzi Rossi
prehistoric site just onthe french border (to do both you should
carefully check the bus timetable ... as far as I remember there is one
around 9 which is impossible to take coming from Laigueglia, and one
around 11). There should be an helpful info office in Ventimiglia
station.

Anyhow Google for old postings on rte with my name and containing keywords
about "Milano" and also "Laigueglia" and alike. Or also some Swiss place
name if you prefer to go that route.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to