A new European state one can visit

Old February 17th, 2008, 07:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

Default A new European state one can visit

Today Kosovo will be declared independent.
Old February 17th, 2008, 08:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge11

Default Latest news you never heard about

Wow gronros the new world reporter !
Throw your TV away, stop reading the newspapers, gronros is the only
resource you need.
Now he will effectively believe he is important.

"Markku Grönroos" a écrit dans le message de
i.fi...
Today Kosovo will be declared independent.

Old February 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sarah Banick

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...
Today Kosovo will be declared independent.

Since Markku brought it up, I'm interested in hearing the European view of
this. I'm only hearing the basics from the American media. Do you guys think
the Serbs are going to accept this? Or are they burnt out on war and ready
to move forward with the EU? Can Kosovo survive financially? And just how
many states can be carved out of the former Yugoslavia? :-)

All opinions welcome.

Old February 17th, 2008, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Sarah Banick" wrote in message

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...
Today Kosovo will be declared independent.

Since Markku brought it up, I'm interested in hearing the European view of
this. I'm only hearing the basics from the American media. Do you guys
think the Serbs are going to accept this? Or are they burnt out on war and
ready to move forward with the EU? Can Kosovo survive financially? And
just how many states can be carved out of the former Yugoslavia? :-)

It's run by a bunch of gangsters, which is why there's all those EC
military types running around the place with the right to overrule the local
cops and various paramilitary thugs.

Chances are that it'll go the same way as Chechnya.

The government will start exporting container loads of heroin under
diplomatic protection, and the recipients will get all nasty and start
shooting.

It's far too small to be economically viable without the drugs trade and the
rest of the Muslim world has already said they won't touch them with a barge
pole.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 17th, 2008, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Olive Green

On 17 Feb, 17:27, "William Black" wrote:
"Sarah Banick" wrote in message

ti.fi...

you mean the Russians will **** it up ?
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

It's far too small to be economically viable without the drugs trade and
the rest of the Muslim world has already said they won't touch them with a
barge pole.

That's right. It is the same with Luxembourg - smuggling and drug sales are
rampant.

Old February 17th, 2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis

William Black:

"Sarah Banick" wrote in message

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...
Today Kosovo will be declared independent.

Since Markku brought it up, I'm interested in hearing the European view of
this.

It's far too small to be economically viable without the drugs trade.

Well, Macedonia appears to be surviving, and isn't much larger than
Kosovo. The population of both is estimated at about 2 million.

BTW, how do Liechtenstein and Luxemburg survive?
Old February 17th, 2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Erick T. Barkhuis" -o-m wrote in message
t...
William Black:

"Sarah Banick" wrote in message

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...
Today Kosovo will be declared independent.

Since Markku brought it up, I'm interested in hearing the European view
of
this.

It's far too small to be economically viable without the drugs trade.

Well, Macedonia appears to be surviving, and isn't much larger than
Kosovo. The population of both is estimated at about 2 million.

BTW, how do Liechtenstein and Luxemburg survive?

Liechtenstein has some seriously dodgy banking going on.

Luxemburg is odd, it used to need a commercial radio station with a huge
income to pay its way, but it is stable enough to manage a decent tourism
industry.

Kosovo has neither...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 17th, 2008, 05:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Olive Green" wrote in message
[...]

--------------------------------------

Depends on where the drugs get sent.

The Albanians seem to like sending them to Italy.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old February 17th, 2008, 06:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
ti.fi...

"William Black" kirjoitti
.. .

It's far too small to be economically viable without the drugs trade and
the rest of the Muslim world has already said they won't touch them with
a barge pole.

That's right. It is the same with Luxembourg - smuggling and drug sales
are rampant.

Luxembourg has a very odd economy.

You don't get the highest GDP 'per capita' in the world without something
very odd going on.

10% of the native working population works in a bank...

It isn't that long ago since it relied on having a great big transmitter and
a commercial radio station to make end meet but these days it's doing lots
of banking.

I wonder who has bank accounts in Luxembourg?

Do you know anyone who has a bank account in Luxembourg?

I know one person who does.

He has a cash business in Sedan and bank some of the cash in Luxembourg so
he doesn't pay French taxes...

How are Kosovo going to copy this?

They're Muslim, banks are against their religion...

--
William Black

Time for tea.