Repositioning cruise

Old December 13th, 2004, 02:38 AM
JLP20

Default Repositioning cruise

It was my belief that repositioning cruises were cheaper as a rule do to lack
of interest.

I have been looking at the Diamond Princess' repositioning cruise (M518) from
Los Angeles up to Alaska. We were thinking about linking three separate cruises
(M518, M519 and M520). This would be a solid 14 days starting on April 30,
2005.

The first leg would be the repositioning move, the second leg is a "sampler"
and the last week is the full seven day cruise.

I have asked for quotes from several T/A's over the net and have found that
there is no break for the repositioning leg, much less the "sampler". The only
stipulation we added to the quotes is a
BB guarantee on Caribe deck. We also said we would be willing to switch cabins
on this deck during the 14 day period.

All of my responses, a total of 4, have been about the same when broken down to
the per day costs. By the way, one T/A said we could not book this trip because
of the Jones Act.

Any ideas as to what is going on
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20
Old December 13th, 2004, 02:57 AM
RTCReferee

jlp20 wrote:

I have been looking at the Diamond Princess' repositioning cruise (M518)
from
Los Angeles up to Alaska. We were thinking about linking three separate
cruises(M518, M519 and M520). This would be a solid 14 days starting on April

30,
2005.

snip

By the way, one T/A said we could not book this trip
because of the Jones Act.

Close enough. I think it's actually the Passenger Services Act, but it's true
that you cannot do the itinerary you seek. I hope that this will change
someday, because we'd like to do something similar from San Francisco that
would allow us to ultimately disembark in Seward or Whittier.

Old December 13th, 2004, 06:00 AM
JLP20

I have folks that attempt this every year. Princess has never allowed
it because it is a violation of the Passenger Service Act of 1886. The
Princess computer system has caught it every time.

As Forest Gump has said, "I'm not a smart man".

I do not know the details of this act but is there a simple way around it. If
we pack our bags, get off the ship after the first and/or second leg and get
back on would that work?

My wife had a good question, how do people who book back to back cruise work
this?
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20