Public Outrage Forces Swedish Hotels To Put Bibles Back

Old November 30th, 2007, 01:41 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.nordic,alt.bible
Bert Hyman

Default Public Outrage Forces Swedish Hotels To Put Bibles Back

In
wrote:

No hits.

It would seem that this is simply another Christian lie.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118434936941966055.html

In Europe, God Is (Not) Dead
Christian groups are growing, faith is more public.
Is supply-side economics the explanation?
By ANDREW HIGGINS
July 14, 2007

Stockholm

Late last year, a Swedish hotel guest named Stefan Jansson grew
upset when he found a Bible in his room.

Looks like your search skills need some tuning.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:00 AM posted to alt.atheism, alt.anarchism, rec.travel.air, soc.culture.nordic,alt.bible
[email protected]

On Nov 29, 7:33 pm, Brian wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:51:09 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Nov 29, 4:44 am, Sound of Trumpet
wrote:

snip

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=...les+hotels&um=...

No hits.
Let's try Yahoo.

http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/se...E9HZtwAAgKy87U...

No hits.
Let's try Reuters.

http://search.us.reuters.com/rsearch...=jansson%20swe...

No hits.
Maybe I'm spelling Sweden wrong.

http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/Fr...e.aspx?id=1898

Hmm. Maybe not.
Let's try the AP.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=APAB&p_theme=a...("jansson%20sw eden%20bible%20hotels")&xcal_numdocs=20&p_perpage= 10&p_sort=Y-MD_date&xcal_useweights=no

No hits.

It would seem that this is simply another Christian lie.

-Panama Floyd, Atlanta.
aa#2015/KoBAAWA!

Or you could just have clicked on the link provided which led here.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118434936941966055.html

Perhaps your denial is just another atheist lie.

I'm curious about your reply.

The Wall Street Journal was bought by Rupert Murdoch.

The man who made his fortune by turning real newspapers into tabloids
and *invented* the opinion-driven "news" report.

http://www.outfoxed.org/

Trust him if you wish....

-PF
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:01 AM posted to alt.atheism, alt.anarchism, rec.travel.air, soc.culture.nordic,alt.bible
[email protected]

On Nov 29, 7:41 pm, Bert Hyman wrote:

wrote:
No hits.

It would seem that this is simply another Christian lie.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118434936941966055.html

In Europe, God Is (Not) Dead
Christian groups are growing, faith is more public.
Is supply-side economics the explanation?
By ANDREW HIGGINS
July 14, 2007

Stockholm

Late last year, a Swedish hotel guest named Stefan Jansson grew
upset when he found a Bible in his room.

Looks like your search skills need some tuning.

Please see my reply to "Brian", same thread.

-PF
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:06 AM posted to alt.atheism, alt.anarchism, rec.travel.air, soc.culture.nordic,alt.bible
Wexford

Default I've never seen a bible in any hotel room in Europe

On Nov 29, 7:54 am, les_on_usenet
wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 03:25:08 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On 29 nov, 10:44, Sound of Trumpet
wrote:
http://www.claytoncramer.com/weblog/...html#879123036...

The Church in Europe

No, that's not an oxymoron. This article from the July 14, 2007 Wall
Street Journal tells us that after decades of decline, Christianity
seems to be making a modest comeback:

Strangely enough, in all the hotels I've visited in Europe, not once
have I found a bible.
And this include Paris, Venice, Rome, Florence, Budapest, Amsterdam,
Berlin, Moscow, Graz, Linz, Salzburg, Innsbruck, Prag, Brussels, The
Hague... and Stockholm... and several small villages in very catholic
Austria...

Yes they are starting to get rare. I have stayed in most of these
places too and many more especially in the UK of course. These
days I cruise and you never find them on cruise ships nor generally
any hint of religion. On one cruise though the Captain must have been
a Christians as he played a recording of cathedral bells loudly on the
ships loudspeaker briefly every Sunday before announcing he would be
conducting services. They were relayed on the ships CCTV system.
I found this annoying as we were a captive audience for his religious
intrusion into our lives. I was not the only person annoyed either.

A clear sign that Europe is civilized and that Americans who project
their own insecurities should shut up instead of making a fool of
themselves by inventing things.

I have stayed twice in the USA and on both occasions I found
Gideons. There were also cards advertising prostitutes and
take away food establishments (New York). I bought a
self-service ready meal from a next door Deli and got the trots
badly next day. I now know the location of every single toilet in
the Met museum as I 'started' just after I got there.

Never got that in Europe or in Tangier.

Never had a problem in New York, but my whole family (who are fully
grown people) ha it hapen San Francisco. By the way, thefood may have
been poor, but how were the whores?
Old November 30th, 2007, 05:48 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.nordic,alt.bible
brique

Bert Hyman wrote in message
In
wrote:

No hits.

It would seem that this is simply another Christian lie.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118434936941966055.html

In Europe, God Is (Not) Dead
Christian groups are growing, faith is more public.
Is supply-side economics the explanation?
By ANDREW HIGGINS
July 14, 2007

Stockholm

Late last year, a Swedish hotel guest named Stefan Jansson grew
upset when he found a Bible in his room.

Looks like your search skills need some tuning.

Well, I went looking, and all I can find is four links to...... this single
source, the WSJ article. Which is a bit odd, as one would expect to find one
or two local language sources, Sweden does have online versions of it's
quite active newspaper sector. But none at all?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Old November 30th, 2007, 08:22 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.nordic,alt.bible
mrtravel[_3_]

Sound of Trumpet wrote:

http://www.claytoncramer.com/weblog/...30360285898021

The Church in Europe

No, that's not an oxymoron. This article from the July 14, 2007 Wall
Street Journal tells us that after decades of decline, Christianity
seems to be making a modest comeback:

Late last year, a Swedish hotel guest named Stefan Jansson grew
upset when he found a Bible in his room. He fired off an email to the
hotel chain, saying the presence of the Christian scriptures was
"boring and stupefying." This spring, the Scandic chain, Scandinavia's
biggest, ordered the New Testaments removed.

In a country where barely 3% of the population goes to church each
week, the affair seemed just another step in Christian Europe's long
march toward secularism. Then something odd happened: A national furor
erupted. A conservative bishop announced a boycott. A leftist radical
who became a devout Christian and talk-show host denounced the
biblical purge in newspaper columns and on television. A young
evangelical Christian organized an electronic letter-writing campaign,
asking Scandic: Why are you removing Bibles but not pay-porn on your
TVs?

Uh, pay-porn makes them money, bibles don't.
I don't get the big idea. As noted in your post, only 3 percent of the
population goes to church weekly. I can't imagine more than 3 percent
caring about bibles being in a hotel room. If you want a bible to read,
carry it with you.
Old November 30th, 2007, 08:25 AM posted to alt.atheism,alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air,alt.bible
Mistylein

wrote:
[...]

Do not even think that Roman Catholic is "Christian" in any way
shape or form.

Just because it is religious really is not authority to make it Christian.

In fact it is anitchristian!

A clear sign that Europe is civilized and that Americans who project
their own insecurities should shut up instead of making a fool of
themselves by inventing things.

The US of A Government is the Second beast of Revelation
13 if you may be interested.
it will help the first beast and even cause all to worship the
first beast.
But they both will come to an abrupt end when God has their
time come up to be finished.

I have stayed twice in the USA and on both occasions I found
Gideons. There were also cards advertising prostitutes and
take away food establishments (New York). I bought a
self-service ready meal from a next door Deli and got the trots
badly next day. I now know the location of every single toilet in
the Met museum as I 'started' just after I got there.

Now does that not tell you something about what is going on
all arond us today??

You will get that too in Mexico. There it is called Montezuma's revenge!

Never got that in Europe or in Tangier.

Les Hellawell
Greetings from
YORKSHIRE - The White Rose County

Old November 30th, 2007, 04:27 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air,alt.bible
Mark K. Bilbo

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 01:25:51 -0600, Mistylein wrote:

The US of A Government is the Second beast of Revelation 13 if you may
be interested.

No, not interested.

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

- Dr. House
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air,soc.culture.nordic,alt.bible
Mark K. Bilbo

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 19:33:19 -0500, Brian wrote:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:51:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Nov 29, 4:44 am, Sound of Trumpet
wrote:

snip

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=...sweeden+bibles

+hotels&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wn

No hits.
Let's try Yahoo.

http://news.search.yahoo.com/news/

search;_ylt=A0WTTkrpQE9HZtwAAgKy87UF;_ylu=X3oDMTBh NjRqazhxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?
fr=sfp&ei=UTF-8&p=jansson+sweden+bibles+hotels

No hits.
Let's try Reuters.

http://search.us.reuters.com/rsearch...nsson%20sweden

%20bibles%20hotels&WTmodLoc=ussrch-top-quote

No hits.
Maybe I'm spelling Sweden wrong.

http://www.sweden.se/templates/cs/Fr...e.aspx?id=1898

Hmm. Maybe not.
Let's try the AP.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?

p_product=APAB&p_theme=apab&p_action=search&p_maxd ocs=200&s_dispstring=jansson
%20sweden%20bible%20hotels&p_field_advanced-0=&p_text_advanced-0=("jansson
%20sweden%20bible%20hotels")
&xcal_numdocs=20&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date&xc al_useweights=no

No hits.

It would seem that this is simply another Christian lie.

-Panama Floyd, Atlanta.
aa#2015/KoBAAWA!

Or you could just have clicked on the link provided which led here.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118434936941966055.html

Perhaps your denial is just another atheist lie.

I'm curious about your reply.

Doofus, he's saying the guy who wrote the WSJ article is lying.

Get it?

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion
“The religious man, starting out with an outfit of
irrational postulates and untenable hopes, tries to
fit them into the facts of a harshly material world.
In the process he must do violence to both.”

- H. L. Mencken
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:34 PM posted to alt.atheism,alt.anarchism,rec.travel.air,alt.bible
Christopher A.Lee

wrote:

The US of A Government is the Second beast of Revelation
13 if you may be interested.

Idiot.