South African Airways joins Star Alliance

Old March 9th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Dennis G. Rears

Default South African Airways joins Star Alliance

http://www.staralliance.com/star_all...e/main_10.html

click on story

FRANKFURT — March 4, 2004 — Star Alliance™, the airline network for Earth,
today welcomed South African Airways' decision to pursue membership in Star
Alliance.

"We are always interested in adding quality airlines to our alliance,
particularly those which already have long-standing and successful
relationships with our member carriers," said Jaan Albrecht, CEO, Star
Alliance. "South African Airways is the most prestigious carrier in Africa
and will significantly enhance our network across the continent and beyond.
It's good for customers, good for South African Airways and it's good for
Star Alliance."

Albrecht said Star Alliance member carriers will be looking forward to
making an official announcement at the next Star Alliance Chief Executive
Board meeting in June.
---------

Comments?

Old March 9th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Henry

Dennis G. Rears wrote:

http://www.staralliance.com/star_all...e/main_10.html

FRANKFURT - March 4, 2004 - Star Alliance, the airline network for Earth,
today welcomed South African Airways' decision to pursue membership in Star
Alliance.

---------

Comments?

Yeah. I'd say your headline is misleading--it's a long way from South
African Airways making a 'decision to pursue membership' to saying
'South African Airways joins Star Alliance'.

When the code-shares are all in place, and the inter-baggage system, and
the reciprocal frequent-flyer points, and all the rest that being a
member of the alliance entails--that's when your headline would be
appropriate. But that won't be for many months yet.

cheers,

Henry
Old March 9th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Ulf Kutzner

Henry schrieb:

http://www.staralliance.com/star_all...e/main_10.html

FRANKFURT - March 4, 2004 - Star Alliance, the airline network for Earth,
today welcomed South African Airways' decision to pursue membership in Star
Alliance.

---------

Comments?

Yeah. I'd say your headline is misleading--it's a long way from South
African Airways making a 'decision to pursue membership' to saying
'South African Airways joins Star Alliance'.

You should have read the second step. Star Aliance seems to agree this
time.

Regards, ULF
Old March 9th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Henry

Ulf Kutzner wrote:

You should have read the second step. Star Aliance seems to agree this
time.

That's as may be, but...it's still going to take months before they are
really 'in'.

cheers,

Henry
Old March 9th, 2004, 07:48 PM
nobody

Henry wrote:
That's as may be, but...it's still going to take months before they are
really 'in'.

I posted something last week about this. The 3 majors in Star (Lufthansa,
Untied and Air Canada) have said that they would push for quick membership.

FF reciprocity doesn't take long to implement.
Access to lounges doesn't take long to implement.

Integrated check-in, code-sharing, shared ground services, shared purchasing
etc take longer to implement. But customers should be able to start to see
gradual implementation soon, most likely before SAA is declared a full member.