Questions Australia

Old October 5th, 2009, 01:40 AM
waitressvn waitressvn is offline
Member

Default Questions Australia

Hi people

I'm planning a trip to Australia from February 2010 to August 2010, and I have a couple of questions that I hope some of you might be able to answer
1. I'm going to a lot of different places, the outback, the big cities, the tropics and so on, but I'm not sure which clothes I need to bring, because the seasons will change while I'm there, so what should I expect from the weather in for example Sydney, Melbourne and Perth in march/april ?
2. My plan is to buy a kilometer pass from Greyhound and go by bus, does anybody have any experience with that in Australia? Do you just book the tickets from day to day, or do you need to have booked in advance?
3. I don't know if I should bring a backpack or a suitcase, what are your experiences ?
4. Do you need to book hostels from home, or can you just find a place to stay when you arrive to your destination?
5. What "practical" things do I need to bring, a knife? sleeping bag? anything else?
Old October 5th, 2009, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Gerrit

"Alan S" wrote in message

SNIP

Alan
This person is only spamming.
Using a related question to try to get readers to go to his website.
He has been doing this for some time in various newsgroups.
Your advices (although useful as usual) are wasted on this guy.

Gerrit

Old October 5th, 2009, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry Raymond

This person is only spamming.
Using a related question to try to get readers to go to his website.
He has been doing this for some time in various newsgroups.
Your advices (although useful as usual) are wasted on this guy.

The message is coming by a Web gateway into the rec.travel newsgroups

www.travelbanter.com

I suspect the message themselves are probably genuine and it is the
travelbanter site that adds the advertising links onto the bottom of each
message.

Kerry

Old October 5th, 2009, 10:15 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry Raymond

2. My plan is to buy a kilometer pass from Greyhound and go by bus,
does anybody have any experience with that in Australia? Do you just
book the tickets from day to day, or do you need to have booked in
advance?

A lot of backpackers use the Greyhound bus passes, probably because
Greyhound has made the effort to come up with a variety of options at
reasonable prices that suit the backpacker agenda (time frames, flexibility,
pricing). The "kilometer" pass is pretty popular for its flexibility (no
pre-set itinerary). The problem with rail in Australia is that it is run by
each state and they don't seem to be able to get their act together to
produce a good Australia-wide rail pass (not to mention that most states are
reducing the number of destinations serviced by rail or reducing the
frequency of services). Tickets mostly get booked day-to-day or just a
couple of days in advance. One advantage of travelling on the buses and
staying in the backpacker hostels is that you will meet plenty of other
backpackers who will exchange information and the hostel managers are
usually full of information, so if there is a route that is often heavily
booked, you will hear about it as you go along.

You might want to look at sites like:

http://www.backpackaround.com.au/

as they have a lot of useful information in one place about backpacking
around Australia.

Kerry