Injections for Kenya?

Old November 1st, 2004, 10:40 PM
Bobby

Default Injections for Kenya?

I'm going to Kenya next year (February) for two weeks (my 25th anniversary).

I live in the UK.

I'm not sure what injections I need to get before I go. Can anyone advise
me? Cheers.

Bobby

Old November 2nd, 2004, 10:28 AM
Marc Lurie

Yellow Fever is a must. Cholera is debateable but probably won't do
you any harm.

Hepatitis is recommended, depending on what you're going to get up
to...

Marc

Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:15 PM
Rita Daggett

I'm going to Kenya next year (February) for two weeks (my 25th
anniversary).

I live in the UK.

I'm not sure what injections I need to get before I go. Can anyone advise
me? Cheers.

Bobby

Suugest you see your Doctor, or a travel clinic for best advice.
Most important thing is malaria prophylaxsis.
They'll probably suggest you make sure your polio and tetanus are up to
date.
Cholera prob. not worth having.
Typhoid maybe.
Cant remember what rules are for Kenya for yellow fever - some African
countries still insist on you haing a certificate to show you've been
vaccinated against that.

--
Rita Daggett

Old November 2nd, 2004, 04:26 PM
Steve Bougerolle

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:15:51 +0000, Rita Daggett wrote:
Cant remember what rules are for Kenya for yellow fever - some African
countries still insist on you haing a certificate to show you've been
vaccinated against that.

Yellow fever is the big must-have for Kenya and most other countries in
Africa. If I remember rightly, the rule is not that you need it to go
there but that you'll need it to get into most other countries when you
come back. Anyway, it is the one immunization that is always required
there.

--
Steve Bougerolle
http://www.bougerolle.net

Old November 2nd, 2004, 06:41 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article , "Bobby"
wrote:

I'm going to Kenya next year (February) for two weeks (my 25th anniversary).

I live in the UK.

I'm not sure what injections I need to get before I go. Can anyone advise

Yellow fever, not that i was ever asked for the certs in S. Africa and
Hong Kong on my way back. or in Tanzania.

Typhoid (available orally)

Malaria (oral)

Hepatitis A & B are always good

Cholera is useless.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:53 AM
Marc Lurie

Yellow Fever is a legal requirement in many African countries, but
you're not often asked for proof of vaccination.

The cholera vaccination is apparently not particularly effective, but
it is a legal requirement is several countries. I asked my travel
clinic to put "Cholera exempt" on the Yello Fever vaccination
certificate, and sign and stamp it. When I've had to show officials,
they see the word "cholera" and see the stamp, and are satisfied.

Marc

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 17:41:56 GMT, Not the Karl Orff

Old November 3rd, 2004, 08:53 AM
Marc Lurie

Yellow Fever is a legal requirement in many African countries, but
you're not often asked for proof of vaccination.

The cholera vaccination is apparently not particularly effective, but
it is a legal requirement is several countries. I asked my travel
clinic to put "Cholera exempt" on the Yello Fever vaccination
certificate, and sign and stamp it. When I've had to show officials,
they see the word "cholera" and see the stamp, and are satisfied.

Marc

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 17:41:56 GMT, Not the Karl Orff

Old November 4th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Liz

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:40:38 -0000, "Bobby" wrote:

I'm going to Kenya next year (February) for two weeks (my 25th anniversary).

I live in the UK.

I'm not sure what injections I need to get before I go. Can anyone advise
me? Cheers.

Hi Bobby:
Did you think about consulting your GP/Travel nurse?
In our practice the travel nurse gets you to fill out a form saying where
you're going and the type of travel involved, then sends the details online
up to the tropical medicine place in Glasgow who send down a list of what's
needed.

She then cross-checks this with your medical record, gives you a schedule of
when you have to get each injection and gives you a record of injections so
that you know when they should be renewed. Even at that I check each year
since sometimes the requirements are different (sometimes meningitis is
recommended, sometimes not)

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos