Recommendations on QM2 cabin - balcony vs. inside vs. ??

Old May 20th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Pokepin

Default Recommendations on QM2 cabin - balcony vs. inside vs. ??

Any recommendations on choosing between balcony cabin types on the QM2? I'm
researching options for my folks and can't decide whether it's worth getting
a balcony-type room as opposed to an inside room. It would seem like with
the QM2, one would have alot more to explore than the typical ship and that
the "level" of accomodations would be not be important as just being on the
ship.

Old May 20th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Eileen Garland

Gee, I would think this is very much a matter of personal preference!
There is certainly a big difference between an inside cabin and a
balcony cabin, on any ship, but it boils down to what's important to a
particular person.

Perhaps reading reviews of this ship (and there have been a few of them
posted here) will help.

Eileen

Old May 20th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Pokepin

Thanks. I read some of the QM2 reviews, but didn't see any mention to the
effect of "wow, it didn't matter that my room was buried deep in the ship,
as I only slept there."

fyi: I've personally never been on any cruise myself, so I have no
first-hand experience. :

Old May 20th, 2004, 07:28 PM
bennington

The bottom level balconies are basically in the hull and not the typical
balcony found on most ships. I also heard that the wind was so strong on
many of the balconies during our voyage that many people could not enjoy
their balcony. I would say that you don't really need a balcony on this
ship, especially if its a transatlantic. The seventh deck has a wonderful
promenade as well has hundreds of deck chairs. We spent very little time in
our cabin and found that an inside cabin on deck five was extremely
convenient. If you really have the money splurge on a Princess or Queens
grill accommodation. The service and when you want dinning as well as the
sheer size of the rooms were all welcomed by those passengers. Hope this
helps.

Ryan

Old May 20th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Pokepin

Yes, very helpful thank you.

The cruise would be a QM2 "cruise to nowhere" (3 day) out of NYC.

Did you hear anything about the value of waterview rooms? i.e. no wind,
spray.

Also, the "Princess or Queens grill accomodation"; is that a prepaid option
for better dining? Any difference/advantage between Princess or Queens?

Old May 20th, 2004, 08:54 PM
Pokepin

On the Cunard site for the cruise I mentioned, it says:

Gratuities Charged on Board Per Person
Grill Accommodation $39
All Other Accommodations $33

Now that doesn't on the face of it, seem very expensive. Is this was you
were referring to? This a daily fee maybe?

"CupCaked" wrote in message
"Pokepin" wrote:

Also, the "Princess or Queens grill accomodation"; is that a prepaid

option
for better dining? Any difference/advantage between Princess or Queens?

Grill accommodations, hence also restaurant seating, is quite a bit
more expensive on both the QM2 and the QE2. There is quite a bit of
an advantage with both ships. Since this is a three day cruise to
nowhere, I'd save the grill class for a longer voyage, but that's JMO.

Karen

__ /7__/7__/7__
\::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
(...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Old May 20th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Ray Goldenberg

On Thu, 20 May 2004 19:54:19 GMT, "Pokepin"
wrote:

On the Cunard site for the cruise I mentioned, it says:

Gratuities Charged on Board Per Person
Grill Accommodation $39
All Other Accommodations $33

Hi,

They are referring to the total gratuity for the 3 day cruise. The
upgrade to Grill class accomodations will be considerably more than
this. :+)

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com
Old May 20th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Pokepin

Thanks to all for their suggestions/help. If you can offer any other
suggestions for selecting inside vs. waterview vs. balcony vs. other, I
would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again!

news

Old May 20th, 2004, 10:34 PM

Two types of Britannia-class balconies:

1. Hull [recessed into hull of ship ... metal all around ...only open
from waist-up ... very private but dark on balcony and inside room].

2. Superstructure [projecting out of ship with glass below waist ... but
recessed back from promenade deck and front/rear superstructure ...
limited views down and to bow and stern].

Note: Balconies in Grill-class accommodations are both Superstructure --
as above -- or facing aft or forward.

As to main restaurants, they are associated with your cabin:

Britannia [two seatings]

Princess/Queen's Grill [one seating ... and higher suggested tips].

Note: Inside rooms are all in Britannia-class.

You get what you pay for ... you pay what you want for!

Old May 20th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Eileen Garland

Well, most cruise ships these days offer plenty to explore in only three
days, and I'm sure the QM2 does, so that's not really a factor for which
kind of cabin to select.

I think it depends on what your folks enjoy. For me, the biggest draw
of a cruise is the sea, and there's nothing I enjoy more than my morning
coffee on the balcony, and communing with the sea before I go to bed at
night. But that's not what's important to everyone.

If they have a budget to stick to, then this sure simplifies the decision!

Eileen

Pokepin wrote:

Thanks to all for their suggestions/help. If you can offer any other
suggestions for selecting inside vs. waterview vs. balcony vs. other, I
would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again!

news