Travelling by air

Old April 30th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Miss L. Toe

Default Travelling by air

"Margret" no wrote in message ...
Feel a bit worried about travelling to certain countries since the case of
Miss Corby in whose luggage drugs were found. She of course denies

anything
to do with it, and I believe her. It would be a horrible shock to be told
there were drugs in your case!!
Margret

Also look at this case: (Codine is also illegal in the USA)

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...339653,00.html

BAIL FOR UAE 'DRUGS' BRIT

A British woman facing a four-year jail sentence in the Gulf for taking
painkillers has been released on bail.
Tracy Wilkinson, 44, has languished in a Dubai prison for more than two
months after codeine and temazepam were found in her blood stream.

Both substances are banned in the conservative Gulf emirate.

The drugs were discoverd when she gave a urine test at Dubai airport after
being stopped over a query with her passport.

Ms Wilkinson, of Balcombe in West Sussex, is due to appear in court next
Saturday.

Her ex-husband, retired police officer Robin Wilkinson, said: "They have
released her while further inquiries are made into the documents that have
been placed before the court.

"They seem happy that the drugs were prescribed now," he added.

Around half a million Britons visit Dubai every year, and around 150,000
more come to other emirates in the seven-strong United Arab Emirates.

Some 100,000 Britons reside in the UAE, most of them in Dubai, according to
the British embassy.

Attached Images
File Type: gif x.gif (42 Bytes, 97 views)
Old May 1st, 2005, 10:17 AM
Roland Perry

In message ws.net, at
22:25:55 on Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Miss L. Toe
remarked:
Also look at this case: (Codine is also illegal in the USA)

Morphine is doubtless "illegal" too - but I'm sure they use it in
hospitals.

What's important here is to distinguish between prescription drugs and
recreational usage. Of course, there are also over-the-counter items
available in the USA that need a prescription here (and so on).

The most disturbing side of this latest case is that the lady apparently
didn't take and of the drugs with here - the test results coming from
prescribed painkillers she'd taken a few days before, prior to leaving
the UK.
--
Roland Perry
Old May 1st, 2005, 01:48 PM
ant

Miss L. Toe
remarked:
Also look at this case: (Codine is also illegal in the USA)

whut? codeine is illegal in the US?! fark. I'd better not bring any
Mersyndol with me next time I go there. jeepers, I had no idea.

ant

Old May 1st, 2005, 02:01 PM
Jan

Roland Perry wrote:
In message ws.net,
at 22:25:55 on Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Miss L. Toe
remarked:
Also look at this case: (Codine is also illegal in the USA)

Morphine is doubtless "illegal" too - but I'm sure they use it in
hospitals.

What's important here is to distinguish between prescription drugs and
recreational usage. Of course, there are also over-the-counter items
available in the USA that need a prescription here (and so on).

The most disturbing side of this latest case is that the lady
apparently didn't take and of the drugs with here - the test results
coming from prescribed painkillers she'd taken a few days before,
prior to leaving the UK.

Does anybody have any opinion/theory as to what could have been wrong with
the ladies passport? As this is supposedly why she was stopped leaving the
country.

Jan

Old May 1st, 2005, 02:17 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Jan" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:
[...]

According to a local newspaper report:
"When the woman landed in Dubai, she was not in a normal condition, and was
very dizzy. Police detained her and requested a urine specimen, and the
results showed that it contained codeine."

The local rag says nothing about passport irregularities.

Old May 1st, 2005, 03:08 PM
Roland Perry

In message , at 14:01:41 on Sun, 1 May
2005, Jan remarked:
Does anybody have any opinion/theory as to what could have been wrong with
the ladies passport? As this is supposedly why she was stopped leaving the
country.

I think I read a report that said it was out of date (a simple mistake).
I any event, she has apparently been a frequent visitor there over
several years. Some people think that alone is evidence of some hidden
issue.
--
Roland Perry

Old May 1st, 2005, 04:38 PM
Earl Daniel Kolnick

"ant" wrote in message

Miss L. Toe
remarked:
Also look at this case: (Codine is also illegal in the USA)

whut? codeine is illegal in the US?!

No, it's not.

Old May 1st, 2005, 04:38 PM
Earl Daniel Kolnick

"ant" wrote in message

Miss L. Toe
remarked:

Old May 1st, 2005, 04:58 PM
Miss L. Toe

"Earl Daniel Kolnick" wrote in message

"ant" wrote in message

Miss L. Toe
remarked:
Also look at this case: (Codine is also illegal in the USA)

whut? codeine is illegal in the US?!

No, it's not.

Without a prescription