back from cruise

Old May 13th, 2013, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Default back from cruise

Back from my cruise. it was fun I won several contests I have the
medals and the trophies to prove it. Even so I dont think that I will
be taking another cruise anytime soon. There was all the hype but just
no substance ya know? The food was good but not great mostly tasted
like a good tv dinner, although I thought the lobster was terrible. It
tasted not very fresh. The steak was good but as I said it had that tv
dinner taste. All the cakes tasted pre packaged. The Hamburgers were
pretty good but it isnt that hard to make a good burger. The funnest
thing was prolly just walking from stem to stern on all the floors
excersing the 7 means of food that I did eat. I must say that the
frappachinos at the coffee bar were super and they did not have a
rediculous price so that made it even better. Playing texas hold em
was great made a few fun people with that.
so my advice would be go for it take a cruise but dont do it by
yourself because it costs alot more for the cruise ticket and it does
get boring after awhile with noone to share the experience with.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Mon, 13 May 2013 18:08:15 -0400, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

What ship?
What line?
What itinerary?

I took the carnival elation and we went to cozumel
a quick 4 day trip. I would also reccomend not taking a cruise longer
than 4 maybe 5 days. It starts to get tiresome having almost everyone
that works on the ship if you want to buy a drink like every 3-4
minutes sometimes. I swear I was at the pool and someone came by every
3-4 minutes as asked if I wanted a drink they must have done that for
20 minutes.
Old May 14th, 2013, 09:23 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Monday, May 13, 2013 8:06:48 PM UTC-7, wrote:

I took the carnival elation and we went to cozumel

a quick 4 day trip. I would also reccomend not taking a cruise longer

than 4 maybe 5 days. It starts to get tiresome having almost everyone

that works on the ship if you want to buy a drink like every 3-4

minutes sometimes. I swear I was at the pool and someone came by every

3-4 minutes as asked if I wanted a drink they must have done that for

20 minutes.

Well, you did take a "booze cruise", a short festive cruise on the WalMart of cruise lines.

I don't drink alcohol, and never was bothered more than once or twice a day if I wanted a drink (on other lines).

Longer cruises have more sober people, it might be because it is harder to go on a week long drunk. I don't know.

Earlier this year I took a 14 day cruise. It was way too short. I went to lectures and other classes and demonstrations. I usually took in a movie a day. I exercised daily, and I ate about six meals a day. I read books and played board games. I went to music recitals. I avoided the musical theater because I am not into "Glee" type productions, but those were well attended.. I played poker and watched TV.

I tried to ditch my traveling companion whenever possible. I am not attached at the hip. But there is an advantage to knowing at least one other person on the boat. You couldn't get anyone to go with you? The price difference would have been minimal.
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:37 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Tue, 14 May 2013 13:23:15 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

I was not all that interested in going to any of the sales
demonstrations like the art auction and the jewelry auctions and
things of that nature although I did go look at the art a couple of
times. I played a couple games of chess and yes I skipped the dance
numbers also. There were no movies on this cruise and that kinda
sucked. I was upset that the sky was full of clouds every single night
and I had no chance of spotting comet ison. I guess you can say I
exercised just by walking the ship for hours and hours back and
fourth. I tried the track up top but going in circles is just so
repetitive.
A fourteen day cruise wow that is alot where did you make port and
what were all of your stops and that must have cost a pretty penny.

I tried to ditch my traveling companion whenever possible. I am not attached at the hip. But there is an advantage to knowing at least
one other person on the boat. You couldn't get anyone to go with you? The price difference would have been minimal.

I met several people and we had fun when we had a chance encounter in
the dance club onboard or maybe sitting around talking. I had a room
but spent very little time there. I would shower dress and sleep no
more than about 5 hours the only television I saw was about 10 minutes
of the discovery channel before I went to sleep and I watched the
recommended videos about leaving the ship the final day but that was
all, it was like food , walk , food ,poker about 4 hours, food,
poker (4 more hours), walking, dancing talking, food, walking
,sleeping

and I did that for 4 days . I guess that is why I think a cruise over
4 days is too much. If it was a bigger boat and had more things to do
then I guess a longer cruise would be better
Old May 14th, 2013, 11:14 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:37:35 PM UTC-7, wrote:

A fourteen day cruise wow that is alot where did you make port and

what were all of your stops and that must have cost a pretty penny.

14 days to Hawaii. Five days there and five days back. Four ports on four islands. I never been to Hawaii, so I was easily amused. Rented a car twice and walked around twice. Went Muumuu shopping and just drove around. I bet we didn't spend more than $150 off shore.

The art auctions are a ripoff. The jewelry sales are not any kind of deal. And the spa is over priced.

I do like talking to the crew. There are some passengers worth talking to, but not many. I had my Kindle, so if there was any down time I could read or play Angry Birds.

The cruise was less than $1,000 pp. Much less than nearly any land vacation. and I got to scratch off a state I've never been to (also did the Alaska cruise for the same reason).

Both cruises were fun. I like the good personal service that I usually don't get because I like doing things cheap.

For instance; The Alaska trip allowed me to buy presents for everyone-- diamonds and gold! The t-shirt shops had "black diamond" necklaces for $1.00 and those little bottles of gold flake for $2.00. So everyone got precious metal and gems, for $3.00 each. Yay!
Old May 15th, 2013, 12:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Tue, 14 May 2013 15:14:01 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

14 days to Hawaii. Five days there and five days back. Four ports on four islands. I never been to Hawaii, so I was easily amused.
Rented a car twice and walked around twice. Went Muumuu shopping and just drove around. I bet we didn't spend more than $150 off shore.

The art auctions are a ripoff. The jewelry sales are not any kind of deal. And the spa is over priced.

I do like talking to the crew. There are some passengers worth talking to, but not many. I had my Kindle,
The cruise was less than $1,000 pp and I got to scratch off a state I've never been to (also did the Alaska cruise for the same reason).

Both cruises were fun. I like the good personal service that I usually don't get because I like doing things cheap.

For instance; The Alaska trip allowed me to buy presents for everyone-- diamonds and gold! The t-shirt shops had
"black diamond" necklaces for $1.00 and those little bottles of gold flake for $2.00. So everyone got precious metal and gems, for $3.00 each. Yay!

did you sail out of california? I was thinking about the alaskin
cruise actually. How long was that one? what is the cruise line and
what is the name of the ship? I would like to look it up. You said
they had a movie theater? did they play the new releases or was it
older movies and what was the fee to watch the movies? my cruise was
only 4 days and it was over 800 $ but I had a cabin to myself which
was actually very nice. it was an inside cabin, I think I would have
actually gotten sea sick watching the water from a cabin so I got the
inside cabin. Glad I did because being at the edges walking around
made me queasy,
Old May 15th, 2013, 01:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Tuesday, May 14, 2013 4:06:37 PM UTC-7, wrote:

did you sail out of california?

Yes

I was thinking about the alaskin

cruise actually. How long was that one? what is the cruise line and

what is the name of the ship? I would like to look it up.

Holland America's Oosterdam. It was a week long. We booked an inside, but were offered a nice balcony for just another $100 pp. Alaska is a good one to get a window, because much of the appeal was the scenery.

You said

they had a movie theater? did they play the new releases or was it

older movies and what was the fee to watch the movies?

They were movies that were not quite yet on HBO. No charge. Popcorn was free, too. The theaters had balconies which was cool and regular seating.

my cruise was

only 4 days and it was over 800 $ but I had a cabin to myself which

was actually very nice. it was an inside cabin, I think I would have

actually gotten sea sick watching the water from a cabin so I got the

inside cabin. Glad I did because being at the edges walking around

made me queasy,

You can always draw the curtains.

When you cruise alone you pay as if there are two of you, except for the port taxes which are per person. You could have invited someone along and the increase in price would have been additional tax (less than $100) and additional gratuity ($11pp/day). Take me along and I'd even pick you up at the airport.